An Expansion and Application of Human Coexistence Robot System Using Smart Devices
Jinseok Woo*, Yasuhiro Ohyama*, and Naoyuki Kubota**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology
1404-1 Katakura, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
**Intelligent Mechanical Systems, Graduate School of Systems Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University
6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
In the context of developing technologies for realizing a user-centric smart society, robot technology is gaining importance for responding to safety issues such as for those living alone and elderly persons. Therefore, in recent years, various robots have been developed to perform social exchanges with people in daily life. We also aim to develop a support system that can be easily used in everyday life through the application of smart device technology that is familiar to people. Therefore, in this paper, we discuss the process of developing robot partners according to various user needs, from the viewpoint of hardware and software development, as human coexistence robot partners. In addition, we show an example of the scalability and application of robot technology using smart devices. First, we describe our smart device-based robot partner system. Next, we describe the development of a robot partner comprising various modules. Finally, we present several examples of robot systems for social implementation and address the applicability of our proposed system.
-  J. T. Cacioppo and L. C. Hawkley, “Perceived social isolation and cognition,” Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Vol.13, No.10, pp. 447-454, 2009.
-  J. Tomaka, S. Thompson, and R. Palacios, “The relation of social isolation, loneliness, and social support to disease outcomes among the elderly,” J. of Aging and Health, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 359-384, 2006.
-  M. Ejiri, H. Kawai, Y. Fujiwara, K. Ihara, Y. Watanabe, H. Hirano, H. K. Kim, K. Ishii, K. Oka, and S. Obuchi, “Social participation reduces isolation among Japanese older people in urban area: A 3-year longitudinal study,” PloS one, Vol.14, No.9, e0222887, 2019.
-  C. Sun and Z. Zhai, “The efficacy of social distance and ventilation effectiveness in preventing COVID-19 transmission,” Sustainable Cities and Society, Vol.62, Article No.102390, 2020.
-  P. Werner, “Social distance towards a person with Alzheimer’s disease,” Int. J. of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 182-188, 2005.
-  J. Woo, K. Wada, and N. Kubota, “Robot partner system for elderly people care by using sensor network,” 2012 4th IEEE RAS/EMBS Int. Conf. on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob), pp. 1329-1334, 2012.
-  S. Ono, J. Woo, Y. Matsuo, J. Kusaka, K. Wada, and N. Kubota, “A Health Promotion Support System for Increasing Motivation Using a Robot Partner,” Trans. of the Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers, Vol.284, pp. 161-171, 2015.
-  K. Čapek, ”RUR (Rossum’s universal robots): a fantastic melodrama,” Theatre Guild, 1923.
-  K. Hayashi, M. Shiomi, T. Kanda, and N. Hagita, “Are robots appropriate for troublesome and communicative tasks in a city environment?,” IEEE Trans. on Autonomous Mental Development, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 150-160, 2011.
-  D. V. d. Putte, R. Boumans, M. Neerincx, M. O. Rikkert, and M. d. Mul, “A social robot for autonomous health data acquisition among hospitalized patients: an exploratory field study,” 2019 14th ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), pp. 658-659, 2019.
-  A. K. Pandey and R. Gelin, “A mass-produced sociable humanoid robot: Pepper: The first machine of its kind,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 40-48, 2018.
-  T. Shibata and K. Wada, “Robot therapy: a new approach for mental healthcare of the elderly–a mini-review,” Gerontology, Vol.57, No.4, pp. 378-386, 2011.
-  T. Shibata and J. F. Coughlin, “Trends of robot therapy with neurological therapeutic seal robot, PARO,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.4, pp. 418-425, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2014.p0418, 2014.
-  R. Totsuka, S. Satake, T. Kanda, and M. Imai, “Is a robot a better walking partner if it associates utterances with visual scenes?,” Proc. of the 2017 ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 313-322, 2017.
-  D. F. P. Granados, J. Kinugawa, Y. Hirata, and K. Kosuge, “Guiding human motions in physical human-robot interaction through COM motion control of a dance teaching robot,” 2016 IEEE-RAS 16th Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), pp. 279–285, 2016.
-  S. W. Campbell and Y. J. Park, “Social implications of mobile telephony: The rise of personal communication society,” Sociology Compass, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 371-387, 2008.
-  B. L. R. Stojkoska and K. V. Trivodaliev, “A review of Internet of Things for smart home: Challenges and solutions,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.140, pp. 1454-1464, 2017.
-  M. Niemelä, L. Van Aerschot, A. Tammela, I. Aaltonen, and H. Lammi, “Towards ethical guidelines of using telepresence robots in residential care,” Int. J. of Social Robotics, pp. 1-9, 2019.
-  T. Kobayashi, K. Kuriyama, and K. Arai, “SNS Agency Robot for Elderly People Realizing Rich Media Communication,” 2018 6th IEEE Int. Conf. on Mobile Cloud Computing, Services, and Engineering (MobileCloud), pp. 109-112, 2018.
-  S. Yamamoto, J. Woo, W. H. Chin, K. Matsumura, and N. Kubota, “Interactive Information Support by Robot Partners Based on Informationally Structured Space,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.32, No.1, pp. 236-243, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2020.p0236, 2020.
-  Institute of Design at Stanford, “An Introduction to Design Thinking: Process Guide,” 2010.
-  J. Woo, J. Botzheim, and N. Kubota, “Facial and gestural expression generation for robot partners,” 2014 Int. Symp. on Micro-Nanomechatronics and Human Science (MHS), pp. 1-6, 2014.
-  J. Woo, J. Botzheim, and N. Kubota, “Emotional empathy model for robot partners using recurrent spiking neural network model with Hebbian-LMS learning,” Malaysian J. of Computer Science, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 258-285, 2017.
-  J. Woo, J. Botzheim, and N. Kubota, “A socially interactive robot partner using content-based conversation system for information support,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.22, No.6, pp. 989-997, doi: 10.20965/jaciii.2018.p0989, 2018.
-  J. Woo, J. Botzheim, and N. Kubota, “Verbal conversation system for a socially embedded robot partner using emotional model,” 2015 24th IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN), pp. 37-42, 2015.
-  K. Umetsu, N. Kubota, and J. Woo, “Effects of the Audience Robot on Robot Interactive Theater Considering the State of Audiences,” 2019 IEEE Symp. Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI), pp. 1430-1434, 2019.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.