Microwave Filter Modeling and Intelligent Tuning
Shengbiao Wu, Weihua Cao, Min Wu, and Can Liu
School of Automation, China University of Geoscience
No. 388 Lumo Road, Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
Traditional filter tuning methods mainly entail tuning by electromagnetic simulation technology, which treats the tuned filter as an ideal model. However, the structure of the actual filter is relatively complex, and filter tuning becomes affected by the loss of resonant cavity, phase loading and high-order mode. In this study, to solve these problems, the tuning process was divided into four stages. First, the passband and suppression of the filter could be tuned to a reasonable range by using the phase attribute of the reflection characteristics. Secondly, the tuning model parameters (coupling matrix) were extracted by curve fitting and the improved Cauchy method. Thirdly, the tuning model of the actual filter was established by a complex neural network. Finally, the mapping relationship between the surrogate model and the actual tuning model was established by the improved space mapping algorithm. By optimizing the parameters of surrogate model, we quickly obtained the optimal position of the screws. The results of the tuning experiment with the eighth coaxial cavity filter revealed that the method had high accuracy and fast convergence speed.
-  J. Dunsmore, “Tuning bandpass fliters in the time domain,” IEEE Microw. Sympo. Digest, Vol.45, pp. 1351-1354, 1999.
-  P. Harscher, R. Vahldieck, and S. Amari. “Automated filter tuning using generalized low-pass prototype networks and gradient-based parameter extraction,” IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol.49, No.12, pp. 2532-2538, 2001.
-  V. Miraftab and R. R. Mansour, “Computer-Aided Tuning of Micro wave Filters Using Fuzzy Logic,” IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol.50, No.12, pp. 2781-2788, 2002.
-  C. K. Li and C. Y. Chen, “A vector-fitting formulation for parameter extraction of lossy microwave filters,” IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol.17, No.4, pp. 277-289, 2007.
-  J. J. Michalski, “Artificial Neural Networks Approach In Microwave Filter Tuning,” Prog. Ele. Res., Vol.3, pp. 173-186, 2010.
-  Y. Takeuchi, K. Ichige, and K. Miyamoto, “Automated Microwave Filter Tuning Based on Successive Optimization of Phase and Amplitude Characteristics,” IEICE. Trans. Fun, Vol.2 E94-A, pp. 617-624, 2011.
-  O. Pauplin, J. Louchet, and E. Lutton, “Evolutionary Optimisation for Obstacle Detection and Avoidance in Mobile Robotics,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 622-629, 2005.
-  S. Ding, C. Chen, and J. Chen, “An improved particle swarm optimization deployment for wireless sensor networks,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 107-112, 2014.
-  C. Kwak, M. Uhm, and I. Yom, “Automated Microwave Filter Tuning Using Curve Similarity and Weighted Least Squares,” IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol.22, No.10, pp. 539-541, 2012.
-  A. Jedrzejewski, N. Leszczynska, and L. Szydlowski, “Zero-Pole Approach to Computer Aided Design of in-Line SIW Filters with Transmission Zeros,” Prog. Ele. Res., Vol.131, No.20, pp. 517-533, 2012.
-  S. Kobayakawa and H. Yokoi, “Predictor using an error-convergence neuron network and its application to electrocardiograms,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 21-33, 2011.
-  A. Chaouachi, R. M. Kamel, and K. Nagasaka, “Neural Network Ensemble-Based Solar Power Generation Short-Term Forecasting,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 69-75, 2011.
-  M. Nachtegael, P. Sussner, and T. Mlange, “Modelling Numerical and Spatial Uncertainty in Grayscale Image Capture Using Fuzzy Set Theory,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.13, No.5, pp. 529-536, 2007.
-  J. J. Michalski, “On Linear Mapping of Filter Characteristic to Position of Tuning Elements in Filter Tuning Algorithm,” Prog. Ele. Res., Vol.123, No.123, pp. 279-298, 2012.
-  T. Kacmajor and J. J. Michalski, “Filter Tuning and Coupling Matrix Synthesis by Optimization with Cost Function Based on Zeros, Poles and Hausdorff Distance,” IEEE Inter. Microw. Sympo. Canada, pp. 1-3, 2012.
-  J. J. Michalski, J. Gulgowski, and T. Kacmajor, “Coupling Matrix Synthesis by Optimization with Cost Function Based on Daubechies D4 Wavelet Transform,” Prog. Ele. Res. Sympo. Pro., Vol.19, pp. 1351-1354, 2012.
-  J. Z. Zhou, B. Y. Duan, and J. Huang, “Support vector modeling of electromechanical coupling for microwave filter tuning,” Inter. J. RF and Microw. Com. Eng, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 127-139, 2013.
-  Y. L. Zhang, T. Su, and Z. P. Li, “A fast tuning method for microwave filter using VF-ASM technology,” Prog. Ele. Res. M, Vol.30, pp. 25-37, 2013.
-  H. Hu and K. Wu, “A Generalized Coupling Matrix Extraction Technique for Bandpass Filters With Uneven-Qs,” IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech, Vol.62, No.2, pp. 244-251, 2014.
-  R. Wang, L. Li, and L. Peng, “Improved diagnosis of lossy resonator bandpass filters using Y Parameter,” Inter. J. RF. Microw. Com. Eng., Vol.25, pp. 807-814, 2015.
-  Z. Y. Wang and S. K. Jin, “Real-time Tuning of Cavity Filters by Learning from Human Experience: A Vector Field Approach,” Wor. Cong. Inte. Con. and Auto, Vol.3, Gui Lin: Academic, pp. 1931-1936, 2016.
-  W. H. Cao, C. Liu, and Y. Yuan, “Prametric modeling of microwave filter using combined MLS-SVR and pole-residue-based transfer functions,” Inter. J. RF. Microw. Com. Eng., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 2-10, 2018.
-  R. J. Cameron, C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, “Microwave Filters for Communication Systems: Fundamentals, Design and Applications,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.