An Improved Rumor Routing Protocol Based on Optimized Intersection Angle Theory and Localization Technologies in WSN
Zhuang Liu, Xin Feng†, Jing Zhang, Yan Liu, Jianfei Zhang, and Xin Zhang
School of Computer Science and Technology, Changchun University of Science and Technology
B1601, Science and Tech Building, 7186 Weixing Road, Changchun 130022, China
Routing mechanism is a key issue in Wireless Sensor Networks, and rumor routing protocol can reduce energy consumption and extend the lifecycle of network with unicast mechanism. However, in Rumor Routing protocol, the transmission path of event message is not optimal and random forwarding mechanism will lead to routing loop. In this paper, we investigate Rumor Routing protocol, and propose an improved rumor routing protocol based on optimized intersection angle theory. Localization technology and vector intersection angle mechanism are brought into the new protocol as two metrics of route selection. The new mechanism can reduce the energy consumption of data transmission. We compare Rumor Routing protocol, GPSR protocol, a Rumor Routing-based protocol, and the improved protocol. Results of simulation experiments indicate that the improved routing protocol can reduce the energy consumption of routing path and extend the lifecycle of network.
-  I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 393-422, 2002.
-  H. Yang, Y. Qin, G. Feng, and H. Ci, “Online Monitoring of Geological CO2 Storage and Leakage Based on Wireless Sensor Networks,” IEEE Sensor J., Vol.13, No.2, pp. 556-562, 2013.
-  M. Chen, W. Chang, H. Lin, and H. Lee, “Design and performance evaluation of aquatic-pollution monitoring scheme over a Waterborne Wireless Sensor networks,” Computer Communications, Vol.40, pp. 51-64, 2014.
-  D. S. Ghataoura, J. E. Mitchell, and G. E. Matich, “Networking and Application Interface Technology for Wireless Sensor Network Surveillance and Monitoring,” IEEE Communication Magazine, Vol.49, No.10, pp. 90-97, 2011.
-  B. Placzek, “Selective data collection in vehicular networks for traffic control applications,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Vol.23, pp. 14-28, 2012.
-  H. Alemdar and C. Ersoy, “Wireless sensor networks for healthcare: A survey,” Computer Networks, Vol.54, Issue 15, pp. 2688-2710, 2010.
-  X. Zhang, “Research on Key Technologies of Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks,” The PLA Information Engineering University, pp. 4-5, 2009.
-  C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin, “Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks,” Proc. 6th Annual Int. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networks (MobiCOM 2000), pp. 56-67, 2000.
-  A. Boulis, S. Ganeriwal, and M. B. Srivastava, “Aggregation in sensor networks: An energy-accuracy trade-off,” Proc. 1st IEEE Int. Workshop on Sensor Network Protocols and Applications (SNPA’03), 2003.
-  J. Xu and L. Cheng, “Improved method for rumor routing protocol in establishing data transmission path rapidly,” Computer Engineering and Applications, Vol.50, No.16, pp. 409-412, 2014.
-  Y. Yu, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin, “Geographical and energy aware routing: A recursive data dissemination protocol for wireless sensor networks,” UCLA Computer Science Department Technical Report, UCLA/CSD-TR-01-0023, pp. 1-11, 2001.
-  B. Karp and H. T. Kung, “Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks,” The 6th Annual Int. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 243-254, 2000.
-  J. Newsome and G. Song, “GEM: Graph Embedding for routing and data-centric storage in sensor networks without geographic information,” Proc. of 1st ACM Conf. on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys’03), 2003.
-  H. Hou, X. Liu, H. Yu, and H. Hu, “A Minimum Energy Consumption Routing Algorithm Based on Geographical Location Information for Wireless Sensor Networks,” J. of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol.1, No.29, pp. 177-181, 2007.
-  X. Liu, Y. Shi, H. Yu, and H. Hu, “Routing algorithm for localized lifetime maximizing in wireless sensor networks,” J. of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Nature Science Edition), Vol.12, 2009.
-  W. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks,” IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol.1, Issue 4, pp. 660-670, 2002.
-  S. Tian, Turgun, and L. Yu, “Routing algorithm based on minimal energy transmit in wireless sensor networks,” Computer Engineering and Applications, Vol.2, 2009.
-  W. Jing, Y. Liu, Q. Wu, and Q. Zhang, “A Reliable Primary-Backup Routing Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Network,” 2010 Int. Conf. on Services Science, Management and Engineering (SSME 2010), Vol.1, pp. 243-246, 2010.
-  R. Huang, H. Huang, Z. Chen, and X. He, “Autoregressive moving average model as a multi-agent routing protocol for wireless sensor networks,” J. of Beijing Institute of Technology, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 421-426, 2011.
-  D. Niculescu and B. Nath, “DV-based positioning in ad hoc networks,” J. of Telecommunication Systems, Vol.22, Issue 1-4, pp. 267-280, 2003.
-  Y. Li, L. Ding, and F. Liu, “The Improvement of LEACH Protocol in WSN,” Int. Conf. on Computer Science and Network Technology (ICCSNT), Vol.2, pp. 1345-1348, 2011.
-  J. Xu and D. Qin, “A New LEACH-Based Routing Clustering Protocol in WSN,” J. of Information and Computational Science, Vol.10, Issue 18, pp. 6005-6011, 2013.
-  G. Ran, H. Zhang, and S. Gong, “Improving on LEACH Protocol of Wireless Sensor Networks Using Fuzzy Logic,” J. of Information and Computational Science, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 767-775, 2010.