Development of Web-Based Remote Speech-to-Text Interpretation System captiOnline
Daisuke Wakatsuki*,†, Nobuko Kato*, Takeaki Shionome**, Sumihiro Kawano*, Tomoyuki Nishioka*, and Ichiro Naito*
*Faculty of Industrial Technology, Tsukuba University of Technology
4-3-15 Amakubo, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8520, Japan
**Faculty of Science and Technology, Tohoku Bunka Gakuen University
6-45-1 Kunimi, Aoba-ku, Sendai 981-8551, Japan
-  D. Wakatsuki, “A Study on Remote Communication Support System for Hearing Impaired,” J. of the Japanese Society for Wellbeing Science and Assistive Technology, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 8-13, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  D. Wakatsuki, N. Kato, T. Shionome, S. Kawano, T. Nishioka, and I. Naito, “captiOnline: A Web-based Online Captioning and Speech-to-text Interpretation System for Deaf and Hard of Hearing,” Proc. of HCG Symposium 2014, pp. 517-522, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  D. Wakatsuki, “captiOnline,” http://capti.info.a.tsukuba-tech.ac.jp/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016] (in Japanese).
-  J.E. Preminger, and H. Levitt, “Computer-Assisted Remote Transcription (CART): A Tool To Aid People Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in the Workplace,” Volta Review, Vol.99, No.4 pp. 219-230, 1997.
-  L.B. Elliot, M.S. Stinson, B.G. McKee, V.S. Everhart, and P.J. Francis, “College Students’ Perceptions of the C-Print Speech-to-Text Transcription System,” J. of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 285-298, 2001.
-  M. Marschark, G. Leigh, P. Sapere, D. Burnham, C. Convertino, M. Stinson, H. Knoors, M.P.J Vervloed, and W. Noble, “Benefits of sign language interpreting and text alternatives to classroom learning by deaf students,” J. of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 421-437, 2006.
-  L.B. Elliot and M.S. Stinson, “Supporting Deaf and Hard of Hearing Undergraduate Students in STEM Field Settings with Remote Speech-to-Text Services,” RIT/NTID JAM 2010 Poster, https://www.rit.edu/ntid/cprint/sites/rit.edu.ntid.cprint/filesnewline /presentations/06_2010_JAM_Poster.pdf. [Accessed Oct. 27, 2016].
-  NCRA’s Broadcast and CART Captioning Committee, “Guidelines for CART Captioners (Communication Access Realtime Translation Captioners),” National Court Reporters Association, pp. 21-24, http://www.ncra.org/files/GovernmentRelationsnewline /Guidelines%20for%20CART%20Captioners.pdf. [Accessed Oct. 27, 2016].
-  L.B. Elliot, M.S. Stinson, D. Easton, and J. Bourgeois, “College Students Leaning with C-Print’s Education Software and Automatic Speech Recognition,” American Ed. Research Assoc. Annual Meeting, 2008
-  W.S. Lasecki, C.D. Miller, A. Sadilek, A. Abumoussa, D. Borrello, R. Kushalinagar, and J.P. Bigham, “Real-Time Captioning by Groups of Non Experts,” Proc. of the 25th Annual ACM Symp. on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 23-34, 2012.
-  W. S. Lasecki, C. D. Miller, and J. P. Bigham, “Warping Time for More Effective Real-Time Crowdsourcing,” Proc. of the International ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2013), pp. 2033-2036, 2013.
-  PEPNet-Japan, “PC note-taking skill up! teaching material collection. Let’s Try It! Combination Input”, M. Shirasawa, and A. Nakajima, eds, Research and Support Center, Tsukuba University of Technology, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kurita, “IPtalk,” http://www.geocities.jp/shigeaki_kurita/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016] (in Japanese).
-  S. Kurita, S. Kawano, and K. Kondo, “The remote computer assisted speech-to-text interpreter system for reducing operational costs,” Correspondences on Human Interface, Vol.15, No.8, pp. 13-20, 2013 (in Japanese)
-  S. Kawano, S. Miyoshi, K. Isoda, M. Hasuike, and M. Shirasawa, “ An Evaluation for Mobile Type Remote-captioning System in the Case of Plant Tour,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.110, No.164, pp. 65-68, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Miyoshi, S. Kawano, M. Shirasawa, K. Isoda, M. Shirasawa, M. Kobayashi, E. Ogasawara, M. Umehara, T. Kanazawa, S. Nakano, and T. Ifukube, “Proposal of Mobile Type Remote-captioning System for Deaf or Hard of Hearing People and Evaluation by Captionists,” J. of Life Support Engineering, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 11-16, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Miyoshi, “Remote Communication Support System T-TAC Caption, Technical Manual Ver.3 R,” PEPNet-Japan, http://www.tsukuba-tech.ac.jp/ce/xoops/file/enkaku/tech-manual-ttaccaption.pdf. [Accessed Oct. 27, 2016], (in Japanese).
-  Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan, “1.4.2 Vulnerability situation,” Information Security White Paper 2015, Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan, pp. 47-58, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  Node.js Developers, Joyent, Github Node.js Contributors, “node.js,” https://nodejs.org/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016].
-  Guillermo Rauch, Github Socket.IO Contributors, “Socket.IO,” http://socket.io/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016].
-  Telenor Digital, “appear.in,” https://appear.in/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016].
-  W3C, Google Inc, “WebRTC,” http://www.webrtc.org/. [Accessed Mar. 10, 2016].
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.