Study of Multirate Sampled Acquisition of Lightning Current Waveform Based on Short-Time Fourier Transform
Xing Jin*, Dian Zhang*, Jingjing Zhang*, and Yuan Feng**
*School of Automation, China University of Geosciences
Wuhan 430073, China
**School of International Education, Changchun Institute of Technology
Changchun 130012, China
In the field of lightning current waveform acquisition, since the lightning stroke signal contains continuous current whose change is relatively flat, sampling with a fixed frequency is a waste of memory resources, and may even increase system design difficulty and cost. The multirate sampled method has been proposed to acquire lightning current waveforms based on the short-time Fourier transform (STFT) to counter this problem and cubic Hermite interpolation has been used to optimize sampled data. The results of simulation and lightning experiments have shown that the multirate sampled method reduces memory resource consumption by at least 70% and ensures high accuracy. The feasibility and effectiveness of the multirate sampled method have also been confirmed.
-  T. Ushio, T. Wu, and S. Yoshida, “Review of recent progress in lightning and thunderstorm detection techniques in Asia,” Atmospheric Research., Vol.154, pp. 89-102, 2015.
-  C. A. Charalambous, N. Kokkinos, and N. Christofides, “A simulation tool to assess the lightning induced over-voltages on dc cables of photo voltaic installations,” 2014 Int. Conf. on Lightning Protection (ICLP), CA, Charalambous, China, pp. 1571-1576, 2014.
-  S. Okabe, T. Tsuboi, and J. Takami, “Analysis of aspects of lightning strokes to large-sized transmission lines,” IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol.18, pp. 182-191, 2011.
-  V. A. Rakov and F. Rachidi, “Overview of recent progress in lightning research and lightning protection,” IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol.51, pp. 428-442, 2009.
-  C. Weijiang, C. Jiahong, G. U. Shanqiang, and Q. Guanjun, “Key technologies of lightning detection and protection in China power grid,” High Voltage Engineering, Vol.34, pp. 2009-2015, 2008.
-  D. Linnan, Y. Zhangqing, and P. Long, “Development and application of multi-channel lightning current on-line monitoring system,” Electric Power, Vol.48, pp. 59-54, 2015.
-  Z. J. Yang and S. Jiang, “Design of lightning detection system based on ARM,” 2014 Int. Conf. on Lightning Protection (ICLP), pp. 346-350, 2014.
-  C. G. Yao, Y. Long, and H. Wu, “A novel lightning current monitoring system based on the differential-integral loop,” IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol.20, pp. 1247-1255, 2013.
-  W. A. Chisholm and K. L. Cummins, “Lightning parameters: A review, applications and extensions,” IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol.20, pp. 346-358, 2006.
-  F. Koehler and J. Swingler, “Simplified Analytical Representation of Lightning Strike Waveshapes,” IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol.58, pp. 153-160, 2016.
-  R. G. Baraniuk, “Compressive sensing,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol.24, pp. 118-120, 2007.
-  L. Durak and O. Ari kan, “Short-time Fourier transform: two fundamental properties and an optimal implementation,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol.51, pp. 1231-1242, 2003.
-  F. T. S. Yu and G. W. Lu, “Short-time Fourier transform and wavelet transform with Fourier-domain processing,” Applied Optics, Vol.33, pp. 5262-5270, 1994.
-  M. Zeinali, S. Shahmorad, and K. Mimia, “Hermite and piecewise cubic Hermite interpolation of fuzzy data,” J. of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Vol.26, pp. 2889-2898, 2014.
-  “IEC 61312-1:1995 Protection against lightning electromagnetic impulse-part 1: general principles,” Geneva, IEC, 1995.
-  W. Xueliang, L. Xuechun, H. Xiaoyan, and S. Yajing, “Analysis of the spatial and temporal distribution characteristics of the cloud-ground lightning in Hubei area,” Meteorological Monthly, Vol.36, pp. 91-96, 2010.
-  W. Juan and C. Yun, “Analysis of the 2009-2012 lightning distribution characteristics in China,” Meteorological Monthly, Vol.41, pp. 160-170, 2015.
-  P. Novak and H. Kyznarova, “Climatology of lightning in the Czech Republic,” Atmospheric Research, Vol.100, pp. 318-333, 2011.
-  V. A. Rakov, A. Borghetti, and C. Bouquegneau, “CIGRE technical brochure on lightning parameters for engineering applications,” 2013 Int. Symp. on Lightning Protection (XII SIPDA), Belo Horizonte, BRAZIL: IEEE, pp. 373-377, 2013.
-  J. L. Jiang, H. C. Chang, C. C. Kuo, and C. K. Huang, “Transient overvoltage phenomena on the control system of wind turbines due to lightning strike,” Renewable Energy, Vol.57, pp. 181-189, 2013.
-  P. Babu and P. Stoica, “Spectral analysis of non-uniformly sampled data – a review,” Digital Signal Processing, Vol.20, pp. 359-378, 2010.
-  M. W. Maciejewski, H. Z. Qui, and I. Rujan, “Nonuniform sampling and spectral aliasing,” J. of Magnetic Resonance, Vol.199, pp. 88-93, 2009.
-  L. Jinchao, D. Zhaoxiang, and J. Yanjun, “Spectrum analysis and weak signal detection based on nonuniform sampling,” J. of Data Acquisition & Processing, Vol.27, pp. 320-326, 2012.
-  A. K. B. Chand and P. Viswanathan, “Cubic Hermite and cubic spline fractal interpolation functions,” 2012 Numerial Analysis and Applied Mathematics (ICNAAM), Kos, Greece: ESCMSET, pp. 1467-1470, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.