Sliding Mode MPPT Controller for Photovoltaic Systems Under Partial Shading Conditions
Min Ding*, Yi Tang**, Weihua Cao*,†, Zhili Tan*, Qingyi Wang*, and Danyun Li*
*School of Automation, China University of Geosciences
Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
**School of Information Science and Engineering, Central South University
Changsha, Hunan 410083, China
This study focuses on maximum power point tracking (MPPT) control for photovoltaic (PV) power generation systems under partial shading conditions. A mathematic model of the partially shaded solar cell is built. Then, the output characteristics of the partial-shade array are analyzed. Based on the model of the PV battery and the concept of the average-state switch cycle, an average-state mathematical model of the PV power generation system using a boost circuit for the realization circuit is established. A sliding mode controller based on the integral sliding mode function is designed to realize MPPT in the PV power generation system. Finally, simulations in MATLAB/Simulink confirm the functionality and performance of the proposed controller.
-  M. Zhang and J. Wu, “Application of slide technology in PV MPPT system,” Trans. of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 90-93, 2005.
-  P. W. Xu, F. Liu, B. Y. Liu, et al., “Analysis, comparison and improvement of several MPPT methods for PV system,” Power Electronics, Vol.41, No.5, pp. 3-5, 2007.
-  G. Dileep and S. N. Singh, “Maximum power point tracking of solar photovoltaic system using modified perturbation and observation method,” Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.50, pp. 109-129, 2015.
-  M. H. Wang, M. Wei, and C. Peng, “Application of improved increment conductance method in photovoltaic grid-connected system,” Chinese J. of Power Sources, Vol.38, No.12, pp. 2399-2401, 2014.
-  J. Liu, H. Meng, Y. Hu, et al., “A novel MPPT method for enhancing energy conversion efficiency taking power smoothing into account,” Energy Conversion & Management, Vol.101, pp. 738-748, 2015.
-  M. Farhat, O. Barambones, and L. Sbita, “Efficiency optimization of a DSP-based standalone PV system using a stable single input fuzzy logic controller,” Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol.49, pp. 907-920, 2015.
-  S. C. Tan, Y. M. Lai, C. K. Tse, et al., “A fixed-frequency pulsewidth modulation based quasi-sliding-mode controller for buck converters,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 1379-1392.
-  Y. Hu, W. Cao, J. Wu, et al., “Thermography-Based Virtual MPPT Scheme for Improving PV Energy Efficiency Under Partial Shading Conditions,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.29, No.11, pp. 5667-5672, 2014.
-  Y. Wang, Y. Li, and X. Ruan, “High accuracy and fast speed MPPT methods for PV string under partially shaded conditions,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.63, No.1, pp. 235-245, 2016.
-  M. A. Masoum, H. Dehbonei, and E. F. Fuchs, “Theoretical and experimental analyses of photovoltaic systems with voltage and current-based maximum power-point tracking,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 514-522, 2002.
-  D. G. Montoya, C. A. R. Paja, and R. Giral, “Maximum power point tracking of photovoltaic systems based on the sliding mode control of the module admittance,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol.136, pp. 125-134, 2016.
-  A. J. Forsyth and S. V. Mollov, “Modelling and control of DC-DC converters,” Power Engineer, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 229-236, 1998.
-  Y. W. He and W. S. Xu, “A PWM-based integral sliding mode controller for AC/DC boost converter,” Power inverter, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 42-44, 2008.