Design of New Pumping Cavity with Compound Parabolic Concentrator for Solar-Pumped Laser
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology
Hachiouji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
The pumping cavity we propose for solar-pumped lasers consists of a compound parabolic concentrator (CPC) and a conventional cone-shaped cavity. We applied ray tracing and FEM simulation in designing the cavity. Simulation results suggest that the cavity increases absorption efficiency 1.2 times over the conventional cone-shaped cavity and decreases the standard deviation of absorption density distribution by 33% and thermal stress by 19% over the conventional. Our evaluation of the cavity in lasing experiments realized 80 W in stable laser output.
-  P. E. Glaser, “Power from the Sun: Its Future,” Science, Vol.162, pp. 857-866, 1968.
-  D. Goto, H. Yoshida, H. Suzuki, K. Kisara, K. Ohashi, and Y. Arimoto, “The Overview of JAXA Laser Energy Transmission R&D Activities and the Orbital Experiments Concept on ISS-JEM,” Int. Conf. on Space Optical Systems and Applications 2014, 2014.
-  T. Yabe, S. Uchida, K. Ikuta, K. Yoshida, C. Baasandash, M. S. Mohamed, Y. Sakurai, Y. Ogata, M. Tuji, Y. Mori, Y. Satoh, T. Ohkubo, M. Murahara, and A. Ikesue, “Demonstrated fossil-fuel-free energy cycle using magnesium and laser,” App. Phys. Lett., Vol.89, pp. 261107-1-3, 2006.
-  Y. Takeda, H. Iizuka, S. Mizuno, K. Hasegawa, T. Ichikawa, H. Ito, T. Kajino, A. Ichiki, and T. Motohiro, “Silicon photovoltaic cells coupled with solar-pumped fiber lasers emitting at 1064 nm,” J. Appl. Phys. Vol.116, pp. 014501-1-7, 2014.
-  C. G. Young, “A Sun-Pumped cw One-Watt Laser,” Appl. Opt., Vol.5, pp. 993-997, 1966.
-  D. Cooke, “Sun-pumped lasers: revisiting an old problem with nonimaging optics,” Appl. Opt., Vol.31, pp. 7541-7546, 1992.
-  M. Lando, J. Kagan, B. Linyekin, and V. Dobrusin, “A solar-pumped Nd:YAG laser in the high collection efficiency regime,” Opt. Commun. Vol.222, pp. 371-381, 2003.
-  V. Krupkin, J. A. Kagan, and A. Yogev, “Nonimaging optics and solar laser pumping at the Weizmann Institute,” Proc. SPIE, Vol.2016, pp. 50-60, 1993.
-  D. Liang and J. Almeida, “Highly efficient solar-pumped Nd:YAG laser,” Opt. Express, Vol.19, 263991-7, 2011.
-  T. Ohkubo, T. Yabe, K. Yoshida, S. Uchida, T. Funatsu, B. Bagheri, T. Oishi, K. Daito, M. Ishioka, Y. Nakayama, N. Yasunaga, K. Kido, Y. Sato, C. Baasandash, K. Kato, T. Yanagitani, and Y. Okamoto, “Solar-pumped 80 W laser irradiated by a Fresnel lens,” Opt. Lett., Vol.34, pp. 175-177, 2009.
-  T. H. Dinh, T. Ohkubo, T. Yabe, and H. Kuboyama, “120 watt continuous wave solar-pumped laser with a liquid light-guide lens and an Nd:YAG rod,” Appl. Opt., Vol.53, pp. 2670-2672, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.