Delay Compensation for Teleoperation Systems Based on Communication Disturbance Observers
Wen-An Zhang, Junkai Jin, Xiang Qiu, and Li Yu
College of Information Engineering, Zhejiang University of Technology
Hangzhou 310023, China
This paper investigates the control problem for a class of teleoperation systems with communication delays. The network-induced delays are usually inevitable in teleoperation systems, and may be time varying and unpredictable. Since the conventional Smith predictor is only useful for fixed delays, a novel delay compensation and controller design method is proposed in this paper. The proposed method combines a disturbance rejection controller and a communication disturbance observer (CDOB). Simulations are provided to show the effectiveness and superiority of the proposed delay compensation and controller design method.
-  C. Hua and X. P. Liu, “Delay-Dependent Stability Criteria of Teleoperation Systems with Asymmetric Time-Varying Delays,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 925-932, 2010.
-  G. Niemeyer, “Telemanipulation with Time Delays,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.9, pp. 873-890, 2004.
-  S. G. Liu, Z. X. Zhou, and F. Yang, “Teleoperation Control of an Internet-based Robot with Varying Time Delay,” Control Engineering of China, Vol.13. No.S0, pp. 179-181, 2006.
-  S. Ganjefar, H. Momeni, and F. Janabi-Sharifi, “Teleoperation Systems Design Using Augmented Wave-Variables and Smith Predictor Method for Reducing Time-Ddelay Effects,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Intelligent Control, Vancouver, Canada, IEEE. pp. 333-338, 2002.
-  S. Munir and W. J. Book, “Internet-based Teleoperation Using Wave Variables with Prediction,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 124-133, 2002.
-  F. C. Liu, L. H. Liang, J. J. Gao, et al., “Trajectory Tracking Control with Active Disturbance Rejection for Space Manipulator in Different Gravity Environments,” Control Theory and Applications, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 352-360, 2014.
-  R. Oboe, “Web-interfaced, force-reflecting teleoperation systems,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.48, No.6, pp. 1257-1265, 2002.
-  T. Slama, A. Trevisani, D. Aubry, et al., “Experimental Analysis of an Internet-Based Bilateral Teleoperation System With Motion and Force Scaling Using a Model Predictive Controller,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.55, No.9, pp. 3290-3299, 2008.
-  K. Natori and K. Ohnishi, “A Design Method of Communication Disturbance Observer for Time-Delay Compensation, Taking the Dynamic Property of Network Disturbance Into Account,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.55, No.5, pp. 2152-2168, 2008.
-  K. Natori and K. Ohnishi, “Disturbance-attenuation characteristic of a structure of time-delay system with communication disturbance observer,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics (ICM), pp. 880-885, May, 2013.
-  J. Q. Han, “Active Disturbance Rejection Control Technique for Estimating and Compensating the Uncertainties,” Beijing, National Defense Industry Press, 2008.
-  T. B. Sheridan, “Space teleoperation through time delay: review and prognosis,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 592-606, 1993.
-  A. Alfi and M. Farrokhi, “Force Reflecting Bilateral Control of Master–Slave Systems in Teleoperation,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.52, No.2, pp.209-232, 2008.
-  D. Yuan, X. J. Ma, Q. H. Zeng, et al., “Research on Frequency-Band Characteristics and Parameters Configuration of Linear Active Disturbance Rejection Control for Second-Order Systems,” Control Theory and Applications, Vol.30, No.12, pp. 1630-1640, 2013.
-  Q. Zheng and Z. Gao, “Predictive Active Disturbance Rejection Control for Processes with Delay,” Proc. of the 32nd China Control Conf. (CCC), Xi’an, IEEE, pp. 4108-4113, 2013.