Extraction and Classification of the Cultural Relic Model Based on Local Geometric Features
Jilai Zhou*, Mingquan Zhou*,**, Guohua Geng*, and Xiaofeng Wang*
*School of Information Science and Technology, Northwest University
Tai Bai Bei Lu No.229, Xi’an, Shaanxi 710069, China
**College of Information Science and Technology, Beijing Normal University
Hai Dian Qu Xin Jie Kou No.19, Beijing 100875, China
This paper proposes a novel approach to extracting local geometric features of the cultural relic. We first calculate Gaussian and mean curvature of the model. Then the surfaces of model are labeled for three fundamental types by the value of Gaussian and mean curvature. We use the region growing and expanding search method to obtain the local features of the model. We construct the templates based on the local features and prior knowledge. Finally, we achieve the retrieval of cultural relics by comparing the similarity of the template and the local feature of the model. We apply our method to identify and classify on Terracotta Warriors fragments. Experiments show that our method has the good retrieval performance.
-  P. Schröder and W. Sweldens, “Digital Geometry Processing,” Proc. of 6th Annual Symp. on Frontiers of Engineering, pp 1-44, 2001.
-  Y. Zhou, J. Liu, and X. Bai, “Research and Perspective on Shape Matching,” ACTA AUTOM ATICA SINICA, Vol.38, No.6A, pp. 889-910, 2012.
-  Q.-X. Huang, S. Floery, N. Gelfand, M. Hofer, and Helmut Pottmann, “Reassembling fractured objects by geometric matching,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG) (S0730-0301), Vol.25, No.3, pp. 569-578, 2006.
-  H. Pottmann, Q. Huang, and Y. Yang, “Integral Invariants for Robust Geometry Processing,” Comput Aided Geom Design, Vol.26, pp. 37-60, 2009.
-  T. Fidler, M. Grasmair, and O. Scherzer, “Shape Reconstruction with A Priori Knowledge Based on Integral Invariants,” SIAM J. Imaging Sciences Vol.5, No.2, pp. 726-745, 2012.
-  R. Gal, and D. Cohen-Or, “Salient Geometric Features for Partial Shape Matching and Similarity,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG)(S0730-0301), Vol.25, No.1, pp. 130-150, 2006.
-  A. Itskovich and A. Tal, “Surface Partial Matching and Application to Archaeology,” Vol.35, No.2, pp. 334-341, 2011.
-  M. Pauly, N. J. Mitra et al., “Discovering Structural Regularity in 3D Geometry,” ACM Trans. on Graphics (TOG), Vol.43, 2008.
-  J. Zhou, M. Zhou, G. Geng, and X. Wang, “3D Model Retrieval Retrieval Algorithm Based on Surface Type Distribution,” J. of Information and Computational Science, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 1941-1502, 2015.
-  D. Wu, “Differential Geometry,” Beijing: People’s Education Press, pp. 126-128, 1984.
-  G. Taubin, “Estimating the tensor of curvature of a surface from a polyhedral approximation,” ICCV, pp. 902-907, 1995.
-  P. J. Besl and R. C. Jain, “Segmentation through variable-order surface ftting,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 167-192, 1988.
-  W. Zhang, “Study of Discovered Armors and Helmets from Pre-Qin to Handy nasties,” Xi’an: Shaanxi people’s Publishing Press, pp. 304-340, 2004.
-  N. Hao, G. Geng, J. Li, and X. Wang, “Regular Salient Features Extraction on Surface of Cultural Relics Based on Integral Geometry,” J. of System Simulation, Vol.9, 2013.
-  R. Osada, T. Funkhouser, B. Chazelle, and D. Dobkin, “Matching 3D models with shape distributions,” In 154-166, editor, Int. Conf. on Shape Modeling and Applications. ACM SIGGRAPH, the Computer Graphics Society and EUROGRAPHICS, IEEE Computer Society Press, Genova, Italy, pp. 7-11, May 2001.
-  H. Wang, Z. Shusheng, Z. Kaixing et al., “Shape distributions retrieval algorithm of 3D CAD models based on normal direction,” Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 1187-1193, 2009.