Real-Time 3D Visualization and Navigation Using Fiber-Based Endoscopic System for Arthroscopic Surgery
Zhongjie Long*,**, Kouki Nagamune*,***, Ryosuke Kuroda***, and Masahiro Kurosaka***
*Department of Human and Artificial Intelligent Systems, University of Fukui
Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**Beijing Information Science and Technology University
Beijing 100192, China
***Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University
Kobe 650-0017, Japan
Three-dimensional (3D) navigation using a computer-assisted technique is being increasingly performed in minimally invasive surgical procedures because it can provide stereoscopic information regarding the operating field to the surgeon. In this paper, the development of a real-time arthroscopic system utilizing an endoscopic camera and optical fiber to navigate a normal vector for a reconstructed knee joint surface is described. A specific navigation approach suitable for use in a rendered surface was presented in extenso. A small-sized endoscopic tube was utilized arthroscopically on a cadaveric knee joint to show the potential application of the developed system. Experimental results of underwater navigation on a synthetic knee joint showed that our system allows for a higher accuracy than a freehand technique. The mean angle of navigation for the proposed technique is 9.5circ (range, 5circ to 17circ; SD, 2.86circ) versus 14.8circ (range, 6circ to 26circ; SD, 7.53circ) and 12.6circ (range, 4circ to 17circ; SD, 3.98circ) for two sites using a freehand technique.
-  T. D. Brown, D. F. Pope, J. E. Hale, J. A. Buckwalter, and R. A. Brand, “Effects of osteochondral defect size on cartilage contact stress,” J. of orthopaedic research, Vol.9, No.4, pp. 559-567, 1991.
-  L. Hangody, “Autogenous osteochondral graft technique for replacing knee cartilage defects in dogs,” Orthopedics, Vol.5, pp. 175-181, 1997.
-  L. Weigelt, S. Siebenlist, D. Hensler, A. Imhoff, and S. Vogt, “Treatment of osteochondral lesions in the elbow: results after autologous osteochondral transplantation,” Archives of orthopaedic and trauma surgery, Vol.135, No.5, pp. 627-634, 2015.
-  N. Iwasaki, H. Kato, J. Ishikawa, T. Masuko, T. Funakoshi, and A. Minami, “Autologous osteochondral mosaicplasty for osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow in teenage athletes,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.91, No.10, pp. 2359-2366, 2009.
-  P. Ansah, S. Vogt, P. Ueblacker, V. Martinek, K.Woertler, and A. B. Imhoff, “Osteochondral transplantation to treat osteochondral lesions in the elbow,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.89, No.10, pp. 2188-2194, 2007.
-  T. Yoshizumi, Y. Tsumoto, T. Takiguchi, N. Nagata, Y. Y. Yamamoto, M. Kawashima, T. Ichikawa, M. Nakazawa, N. Yamamoto, and M. Matsui, “Increased level of polyploidy1, a conserved repressor of CYCLINA2 transcription, controls endoreduplication in Arabidopsis,” The Plant Cell, Vol.18, No.10, pp. 2452-2468, 2006.
-  M. Thaunat, S. Couchon, J. Lunn, O. Charrois, L. Fallet, and P. Beaufils, “Cartilage thickness matching of selected donor and recipient sites for osteochondral autografting of the medial femoral condyle,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 381-386, 2007.
-  V. Bobić, “Arthroscopic osteochondral autograft transplantation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a preliminary clinical study,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 262-264, 1996.
-  L. Hangody, G. Kish, Z. Karpati, and R. Eberhart, “Osteochondral plugs: Autogenousosteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatment of focal chondral and osteochondral articular defects,” Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 312-322, 1997.
-  S. G. Pearce, M. B. Hurtig, R. Clarnette, M. Kalra, B. Cowan, and A. Miniaci, “An investigation of 2 techniques for optimizing joint surface congruency using multiple cylindrical osteochondral autografts,” Arthroscopy: The J. of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 50-55, 2001.
-  R. Satava, “3-D vision technology applied to advanced minimally invasive surgery systems,” Surgical endoscopy, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 429-431, 1993.
-  Z. Long and K. Nagamune, “Underwater 3D Imaging Using a Fiberbased Endoscopic System for Arthroscopic Surgery,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics (JACIII), Vol.20, No.3, pp. 448-454, 2016.
-  Z. Long and K. Nagamune, “A Marching Cubes Algorithm: Application for Three-dimensional Surface Reconstruction Based on Endoscope and Optical Fiber,” Information, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 1425-1437, 2015.
-  P. Di Benedetto, M. Citak, D. Kendoff, P. F. O’Loughlin, E. M. Suero, A. D. Pearle, and D. Koulalis, “Arthroscopic mosaicplasty for osteochondral lesions of the knee: computer-assisted navigation versus freehand technique,” Arthroscopy: The J. of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery, Vol.28, No.9, pp. 1290-1296, 2012.
-  H. Haneishi, T. Ogura, and Y. Miyake, “Profilometry of a gastrointestinal surface by an endoscope with laser beam projection,” Optics letters, Vol.19, No.9, pp. 601-603, 1994.
-  K. Hasegawa, K. Noda, and Y. Sato, “Electronic endoscope system for shape measurement,” Proc. of 16th IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 761-764, 2002.
-  B. C. Emmerson, S. Gortz, A. A. Jamali, C. Chung, D. Amiel, and W. D. Bugbee, “Fresh osteochondral allografting in the treatment of osteochondritis dissecans of the femoral condyle,” The American J. of sports medicine, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 907-914, 2007.
-  D. Koulalis, P. Di Benedetto, M. Citak, P. OA.fLoughlin, A. D. Pearle, and D. O. Kendoff, “Comparative study of navigated versus freehand osteochondral graft transplantation of the knee,” The American J. of sports medicine, Vol.37, No.4, pp. 803-807, 2009.
-  Z. Long and K. Nagamune, “Underwater Surface Reconstruction of Narrow Space by Endoscope and Optical Fiber: Application to Minimally Invasive Surgery,” Poster session presented at: 37th IEEE Int. Conf. of Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Aug. 29, Milan, Italy, 2015.