Underwater 3D Imaging Using a Fiber-Based Endoscopic System for Arthroscopic Surgery
Zhongjie Long*,** and Kouki Nagamune*,***
*Department of Human and Artificial Intelligent Systems, University of Fukui
Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**Beijing Information Science and Technology University
Beijing 100192, China
***Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University
Kobe 650-0017, Japan
-  G. S. Litynski, “Endoscopic surgery: the history, the pioneers,”World J. of Surgery, Vol.23, No.8, pp. 745-753, 1999.
-  J. Wickham, “The new surgery,” British Medical J. (Clinical ResearchEd.), Vol.295, No.6613, pp. 1581-1582, 1987.
-  R. Satava, “3-D vision technology applied to advanced minimallyinvasive surgery systems,” Surgical Endoscopy, Vol.7, No.5, pp. 429-431, 1993.
-  K. Cleary and T. M. Peters, “Image-guided interventions: technologyreview and clinical applications,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, Vol.12, pp. 119-142, 2010.
-  Z. Yaniv and K. Cleary, “Image-guided procedures: A review,”Computer Aided Interventions and Medical Robotics, Vol.3, 2006.
-  D. Stoyanov, “Stereoscopic scene flow for robotic assisted minimallyinvasive surgery,” Proc. of Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), pp. 479-486, 2012.
-  D. Stoyanov, A. Darzi, and G. Z. Yang, “Dense 3D depth recoveryfor soft tissue deformation during robotically assisted laparoscopicsurgery,” Proc. of Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), pp. 41-48, 2004.
-  D. J. Mirota, M. Ishii, and G. D. Hager, “Vision-based navigationin image-guided interventions,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering,Vol.13, pp. 297-319, 2011.
-  F. Mourgues, F. Devemay, and È. Coste-Manière, “3D reconstructionof the operating field for image overlay in 3D-endoscopicsurgery,” Proc. of IEEE and ACM Int. Symp. on Augmented Reality, pp. 191-192, 2001.
-  F. Devernay, F. Mourgues, and È. Coste-Manière, “Towards endoscopicaugmented reality for robotically assisted minimally invasivecardiac surgery,” Proc. of IEEE and ACM Int. Workshop on Augmented Reality, pp. 16-20, 2001.
-  C.-H. Wu, Y.-C. Chen, C.-Y. Liu, C.-C. Chang, and Y.-N. Sun,“Automatic extraction and visualization of human inner structuresfrom endoscopic image sequences,” Proc. of SPIE 5369, Medical Imaging, pp. 464-473, 2004.
-  D. Stoyanov, G. P. Mylonas, F. Deligianni, A. Darzi, and G. Z.Yang, “Soft-tissue motion tracking and structure estimation forrobotic assisted MIS procedures,” Proc. of Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), pp. 139-146, 2005.
-  H. Haneishi, T. Ogura, and Y. Miyake, “Profilometry of a gastrointestinalsurface by an endoscope with laser beam projection,” Optics Letters, Vol.19, No.9, pp. 601-603, 1994.
-  K. Hasegawa, K. Noda, and Y. Sato, “Electronic endoscope systemfor shape measurement,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 761-764, 2002.
-  N. T. Clancy, D. Stoyanov, L. Maier-Hein, A. Groch, G.-Z. Yang,and D. S. Elson, “Spectrally encoded fiber-based structured lightingprobe for intraoperative 3D imaging,” Biomedical Optics Express,Vol.2, No.11, pp. 3119-3128, 2011.
-  Z. Long and K. Nagamune, “A Marching Cubes Algorithm: Applicationfor Three-dimensional Surface Reconstruction Based on Endoscopeand Optical Fiber,” Information, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 1425-1437, 2015.
-  Y. Matsusue, T. Yamamuro, and H. Hama, “Arthroscopic multipleosteochondral transplantation to the chondral defect in the knee associatedwith anterior cruciate ligament disruption,” Arthroscopy: The J. of Arthr. & Related Surgery, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 318-321, 1993.
-  M. Brittberg, A. Lindahl, A. Nilsson, C. Ohlsson, O. Isaksson,and L. Peterson, “Treatment of deep cartilage defects in the kneewith autologous chondrocyte transplantation,” New England J. of Medicine, Vol.331, No.14, pp. 889-895, 1994.
-  L. Hangody, G. Kish, Z. Kárpáti, and R. Eberhart, “Osteochondralplugs: Autogenousosteochondral mosaicplasty for the treatmentof focal chondral and osteochondral articular defects,” Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 312-322, 1997.
-  L. Maier-Hein, P. Mountney, A. Bartoli, H. Elhawary, D. Elson,A. Groch, A. Kolb, M. Rodrigues, J. Sorger, S. Speidel, andD. Stoyanov, “Optical techniques for 3D surface reconstruction incomputer-assisted laparoscopic surgery,” Medical Image Analysis, Vol.17, No.8, pp. 974-996, 2013.
-  M. Hu, G. Penney, M. Figl, P. Edwards, F. Bello, R. Casula,D. Rueckert, and D. Hawkes, “Reconstruction of a 3D surface fromvideo that is robust to missing data and outliers: Application to minimallyinvasive surgery using stereo and mono endoscopes,” Medical Image Analysis, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 597-611, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.