Optimal Outpatient Appointment System with Uncertain Parameters Using Adaptive-Penalty Genetic Algorithm
Napat Harnpornchai*,†, Kittawit Autchariyapanitkul**, Jirakom Sirisrisakulchai*, and Songsak Sriboonchitta*
*Faculty of Economics, Chiang Mai University
239 Huay Kaew Rd., Muang District, Chiang Mai 52000, Thailand
**Faculty of Economics, Maejo University
63 Moo 4, Tambon Nong Han, Sansai District, Chiang Mai 52090, Thailand
-  T. Cayirli and E. Veral, “Outpatient scheduling in health care: a review of literature,” Production and Operations Management Society, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 519-549, 2003.
-  L. Liu and X. Liu, “Block appointment systems for outpatient clinics with multiple doctors,” J. of the Operational Research Society, Vol.49, pp. 1254-1259, 1998.
-  N. Yeon, T. Lee, and H. Jang, “Outpatients Appointment Scheduling With Multi-Doctor Sharing Resources,” Johansson B, Jain S, Montoya-Torres J, Hugan J and Ycesan E. (Eds.), Proc., Baltimore, pp. 3318-3329, 2010.
-  I. H. Smith, “Mathematical relationship between waiting times and appointment interval for doctor and patients,” J. of the Royal College of General Practitioners, Vol.39, pp. 492-494, 1989.
-  N. T. J. Bailey, “A study of queues and appointment systems in hospital out-patient departments, with special reference to waiting-times,” J. of the Royal Statistical Society, Vol.14, pp. 185-199, 1952.
-  B. Fries and V. Marathe, “Determination of Optimal Variable-Sized Multiple-Block Appointment Systems,” Operations Research Vol.29, No.2, pp. 324-345, 1981.
-  C. Liao, C. D. Pegden, and M. Rosenshine, “Planning Timely Arrivals to a Stochastic Production or Service System,” IIE Trans., Vol.25, No.5, pp. 63-73, 1993.
-  L. Liu and X. Liu, “Dynamic and Static Job Allocation for Multi-Server Systems,” IIE Trans., Vol.30, No.9, pp. 845-854, 1998.
-  C. D. Pegden and M. Rosenshine, “Scheduling Arrivals to Queues,” Computers and Operations Research, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 343-348, 1990.
-  L. W. Robinson and R. R. Chen, “Scheduling doctors’ appointments: optimal and empirically-based heuristic policies,” IIE Trans., Vol.35, pp. 295-307, 2003.
-  B. Vanden and D. Gupta, “A sequential bounding approach for optimal appointment scheduling,” IIE Trans., Vol.35, No.11, pp. 1003-1016, 2003.
-  P. M. V. Bosch, C. D. Dietz, and J. R. Simeoni, “Scheduling Customer Arrivals to a Stochastic Service System,” Naval Research Logistics, Vol.46, pp. 549-559, 1999.
-  G. Kaandorop and G. Koole, “Optimal outpatient appointment scheduling,” Health Care Manage Sci, Vol.10, pp. 217-229, 2007.
-  M. G. Güuler, “A hierarchical goal programming model for scheduling the outpatient clinics,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.40, pp. 4906-4914, 2013.
-  S. Hahn-Goldberg, M. W. Carter, J. C. Beck, M. Trudeau, P. Sousa, and K. Beattie, “Dynamic optimization of chemotherapy outpatient scheduling with uncertainty,” Health Care Manage Sci, Vol.17, pp. 379-392, 2014.
-  M. Samorani and L. R. LaGanga, “Outpatient appointment scheduling given individual day-dependent no-show predictions,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.240, pp. 245-257, 2015.
-  J. H. Holland, “Adaptation in natural and artificial system,” The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1975.
-  Y. Wang, J. Tang, and G. Qu, “A Genetic Algorithm for Solving Patient- Priority- Based Elective Surgery Scheduling Problem,” Life System Modeling and Intelligent Computing, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.6329, pp. 297-304, 2010.
-  D. Petrovic, M. Morshed, and S. Petrovic, “Multi-objective genetic algorithms for scheduling of radiotherapy treatments for categorised cancer patients,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.38, pp. 6994-7002, 2011.
-  J. Y. Yeh and W. S. Lin, “Using simulation technique and genetic algorithm to improve the quality care of a hospital emergency department,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.32, pp. 1073-1083, 2007.
-  A. S. Obadage and N. Harnpornchai, “Determination of point of maximum likelihood in failure domain using genetic algorithms,” Int. J. Press Vessels and Piping, Vol.83, No.4, pp. 276-282, 2006.
-  N. Harnpornchai, “Genetic algorithm-aided reliability analysis,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O, J. of Risk and Reliability, Vol.225, No.1, pp. 62-80, 2011.
-  C. Darwin, “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (5th ed.),” John Murray, London, 1869.
-  H. Barbosa and A. Lemonge, “A new adaptive penalty scheme for genetic algorithms,” Information sciences, Vol.156, pp. 215-251, 2003.
-  A. Michalewicz, “Genetic + Data Structures = Evolution Programs (2nd ed.),” Berlin, 1996.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1989.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.