Active Learning Based on Manual Skills for Students in Mechatronics Course
Liang Xiao*, Jie Zhang**, Jinhua She*, and Shumei Chen***
*Graduate School of Bionics, Computer and Media Sciences, Tokyo University of Technology
1404-1 Katakura, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
**Environment Research Institute, Waseda University
S55-705, 3-4-1 Ohkubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
***Department of Liberal Arts, Tokyo University of Technology
1401-1 Katakura, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
There is a growing trend at universities to switch from conventional teaching methods, which focus on knowledge transfer, to methods based on the concept of active learning. Many such methods have been devised and tested to show the validity of this concept. In this study, a project was designed and implemented that teaches some simple principles of aeronautics by having students construct and fly a remote-controlled (RC) model airplane. The goals are to motivate students to study mechatronics and to foster teamwork and communication. This paper explains the project. Its effectiveness was demonstrated in three trials with three groups of students.
-  K. Aoki, “Practice of organized team-activities on engineering foundations education,” J. JSEE, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 23-28, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. M. Andrews, M. J. Leonard, C. A. Colgrove, and S. T. Kalinowski, “Active Learning Not Associated with Student Learning in a Random Sample of College Biology Courses,” CBE − Life Science Education, Vol.10, pp. 394-405, 2011.
-  T. Taniguchi, “Evaluation of problem-solving type active learning,” J. JSEE, Vol.61, No.3, pp. 10-13, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  M. Bieber, J. Shen, D. Wu, and S. R. Hiltz. “Participatory Learning Approach,” In Encyclopedia of Distance Learning, 2nd Ed., P. L. Rogers, G. A. Berg, J. V. Boettcher, C. Howard, L. Justice, and K. D. Schenk Ed., pp. 1591-1596, 2009.
-  P. Amaya, J. E. Agudo, H. Sanchez, M. Rico, and R. Hernandez-Linares, “Educational e-portfolios: Uses and Tools,” Procedia − Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.93, pp. 1169-1173, 2013.
-  B. Güzer and H. Caner, “The Past, Present and Future of Blended Learning: An in Depth Analysis of Literature,” Procedia–Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.116, pp. 4596-4603, 2014.
-  Wikipedia, airplanes, Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane! [Accessed December 22, 2013]
-  S. Iida, “Tobu–Sono Sikumi to Ryuutairikigaku– (Fly–The mechanism and hydrodynamics–),” Ohmsha, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  T. Simizu, “Tips To Fly a R/C Electric Airplane,” NHK Publication, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.