App Controllable Intelligent Desk Lamp System
Yu Ping Liao*, Ruei Chang Lu**, Pang Tzu Liu*, Jing Xiang Cao*, and Ko Chi Wei*
*Department of Electronic Engineering, Chien Hsin University of Science and Technology
No.229, Jianxing Road, Zhongli City, Taoyuan County 32097, Taiwan
**Department of Electronic Engineering, National Ilan University
1, Sec. 1, Shen-Lung Road, I-Lan, 260, Taiwan
In this paper, we propose a FPGA based intelligent desk lamp system with a camera, two servo motors and LEDs. The proposed lamp system can automatically trace a moving book with a red bookmark by pan and tilt control to provide sufficient illumination. Thus, the user can read book with enough light for eye caring. The architecture of the system includes a vision system and a servo-motor control system. The image processing module inside the system can obtain the book’s position data. According to the book’s position data, two servo motors automatically adjust the pan and tilt angles of the desk lamp. The adjustable ranges for pan and tilt angles are 40° and 30°, respectively. Additionally, an App is designed and allows the user to remotely control the lamp by using a smartphone. All the processing modules are implemented on Altera DE0-Nano kit with Cyclonetex® IV EP4CE22F17C6N FPGA with Verilog HDL.
-  H. Ren, C. Lü, Z. Su, and J. Zhang, “Stepper Motor Drive of Stage Intelligent Light Based on Embedded,” 2010 Int. Conf. on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation, Vol.3, pp. 489-492, 2010.
-  Mercedes-Benz TechCenter: Intelligent Light System, http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/ils/detail.html [Accessed May 1, 2014]
-  T. Sato, M. Hosseinbor et al., “Behavior and Personal Adaptation of Robotic Lamp,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics (JRM), Vol.17, No.1, pp. 70-76, 2005.
-  “Color imaging array,” U.S. Patent 3971065, 1976.
-  D. J. Gibson, M. K. Teal, et al., “A new methodology and generic model library for the rapid prototyping of real-time image processing systems,” VHDL Int. Users Forum, Proc., 1997.
-  V. Jorg and K. Anton, “FPGA-based implementation of variable sized structuring elements for 2D binary morphological operations,” Proc. of the 1st IEEE Int. Workshop on Electronic Design, Test and Applications (DELTA.02), pp. 309-312, 2002.
-  Y. Zheng, G. Yang et al., “Fast face detection in Field Programmable Gate Array,” 2010 Int. Conf. on digital Manufacturing & Automation, pp. 719-723, 2010.
-  A. Benedetti, A. Prati, N. Scarabottolo, “Image convolution on FPGAs: the implementation of a multi-FPGA FIFO structure,” 1998 Euromicro Conf. Proc., Vol.1, pp. 123-130, 1998.
-  L. Yu-Ping and L. Ruei-Chang, “FPGA implementation of intelligent robot,” New Wun Ching Developmental Publishing Co., Ltd., 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.