Interest Rate Liberalization and Fiscal Policy in China: A New Keynesian DSGE Model
Bing Xu*, Qiuqin He*, Xiaowen Hu**,*, and Shangfeng Zhang***,*,†
*Research Institute of Econometrics and Statistics, Zhejiang Gongshang University, 18 Xuezheng Street, Xiasha Education Park, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310018, China
**School of Economics and Management, Anhui Normal University, 1 Beijing East Road, Wuhu, Anhui 241000, China
***College of Economics, Zhejiang University, 38 Zheda Road, Xihu District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310027, China
By building a new Keynesian dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) model, we analyze the effect of interest rate liberalization on fiscal policy. First, we find that when the interest rate increases, technology shocks, monetary policy shocks, and fiscal policy shocks can effectively stabilize economic fluctuations. Second, when the interest rate rises, fiscal policy enhances the positive effect on output first, with decreasing the negative effect on output later. Third, fiscal policy increases the original crowding-out effect on consumption and investment. However, this increase in the crowding-out effect does not restrain the positive effect of fiscal policy on output, which benefits from interest rate liberalization.
-  M. Fry, “Money, Interest, and Banking in Economic Development,” Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1988.
-  A. H. Gelb, “Financial Policies, Growth and Efficiency,” World Bank-free PDF, 1989.
-  R. Levchenko and M. T. Ranciere, “Growth and Risk at the Industry Level: the Real Effects of Financial Liberalization,” Journal of Development Economics, No.7, pp. 210-222, 2009.
-  O. Bandiera, G. Caprio, and P. Honohan, “Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Saving?,” Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol.82, No.2, pp. 239-263, 2000.
-  C. M. Reinhart and I. Tokatlidis, “Before and After Financial Liberalization,” Forth-coming, 2005.
-  S. Xu and H. J. Li, “A Model for Interest Rate Liberalization,” J. of World Economy, Vol.29, No.6, pp. 13-22, 2006.
-  X. Y. Zhang and Q. Liang, “On the Performance of China’s Interest Rates Liberalization,” The J. of Quantitative & Technical Economics, No.6, pp. 35-46, 2010.
-  Z. X. Jin, H. Hong, and H. J. Li, “The Effectiveness of Interest Rate Liberalization,” Economic Research J., No.4, pp. 69-82, 2013.
-  L. Ball and D. Romer, “Sticky Prices as Coordination Failure,” American Economic Review, Vol.81, No.3, pp. 539- 552, 1991.
-  C. E. Walsh, “Monetary Theory and Policy,” 2nd Ed., pp. 230-268, Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press.
-  S. R. Aiyagari and M. Gertler, “The Backing of Government Bonds and Monetarism,” J. of Monetary Economic, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 19-44, 1985.
-  G. A. Calvo, “Staggered Prices in a Utility Maximizing Framework,” J. of Monetary Economics, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 383-398, 1983.
-  N. Groenewold, “Fiscal Policy with Direct Effects,” Economics Letters, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 219-224, 1980.
-  S. Gilchrist and M. Saito, “Expectations, Asset Prices, and Monetary Policy: The role of learning,” Working papers 12442, University of Chicago Press, Cambridge, MA, 2006.
-  B. Liu, “Development of DSGE Model in China and Its Role in Monetary Policy Analysis,” J. of Financial Research, No.10, pp. 1-21, 2008.
-  B. Wang, “Fiscal Policy, Monetary Policy and Macroeconomic Stability: Based on the New Keynesian Model of Monopolistic Competition,” J. of Quantitative & Technical Economics Research, No.11, pp. 3-18, 2010.
-  K. T. Chen, L. T. Gong, and H. F. Zou, “What Caused the Volatility of Economic Growth, Supply or Demand: RBC Analysis of China’s Economy,” J. of World Economy, No.4, pp. 3-11, 2004.
-  Z. L. Huang, “A Study on Business Cycle and the Effects of Fiscal Policy in China: An Empirical Study on a RBC Model with Three Sections,” J. of Economic Research, No.6, pp. 27-39, 2005.
-  J. Lu, W. Liu, and Y. Z. Li, “Transfer Effect of Price of Chinese Inflation under the Open Economy,” No.3, pp. 3-23, 2012.
-  O. J. Blandchard and N. Kiyotaki, “Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand,” American Economic Review, Vol.77, No.4, pp. 647- 666, 1987.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.