Neuro-Fuzzy Control Techniques for Optimal Water Quality Index in a Small Scale Tiger Prawn Aquaculture Setup
Reggie C. Gustilo*, Elmer P. Dadios**, Edwin Calilung**,
and Laurence A. Gan Lim***
*ECE Department, De La Salle University, Manila, 2401 Taft Ave., Manila, Philippines
**MEM Department, De La Salle University, Manila, 2401 Taft Ave., Manila, Philippines
***ME Department, De La Salle University, Manila, 2401 Taft Ave., Manila, Philippines
A small scale real time tiger prawn aquaculture setup was built and tested in the laboratory using ordinary aquariums to test the controllability and control of the four most important parameters in culturing tiger prawns, the temperature, salinity, pH and dissolved oxygen. These parameters were monitored using Vernier sensors via Labview program. The water quality index of the artificial habitat was monitored and computed using fuzzy logic. New values for the safe parameter conditions of the tiger prawns were observed and used in the computation of the water quality index. Lastly, electronic valves and actuators are used to automatically control the four said water parameters and set them to their optimal values. The control needed by each parameter to force them to stay within their optimal values was done using neural network. This control system is used to activate the electronic valves that will dispense correction fluids for each of the four monitored water parameter.
-  www.worldfishcenter.org.
-  S. Han, Y. Kang, K. Park, and M. Jang, “Design of Environment Monitoring System for Aquaculture Farms,” Frontiers in the Convergence of Bioscience and Information Technologies, pp. 889-893, 2007.
-  C. Deng, Y. Gao, J. Gu, X.Miao, and S. Li, “Research on the growth model of aquaculture organisms based on neural network expert system,” 6th Int. Conf. on Natural Computation (ICNC), pp. 1812-1815, 2010.
-  M. Wu, X. Zhang, and T. Wu, “ Research on the aquaculture multiparameter monitoring system,” 2nd Int. Asia Conf. on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (CAR), pp. 76-79, 2010.
-  M. Hua, D. Zhao, W. Xia, Y. Zhu, and X. Liu, “The design of intelligent monitor and control system of aquaculture based on wireless sensor networks,” 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Science and Information Technology(ICCSIT), pp. 9-12, 2010.
-  J. J. Carbajal and L. P. Sanchez, “Classification Based on Fuzzy Inference Systems for Artificial Habitat Quality in Shrimp Farming,” Artificial Intelligence, 7th Mexican Int. Conf. on MICAI ’08., pp. 388-392, 2008.
-  M. Wu, X. Zhang, and T. Wu “Research on the aquaculture multi parameter monitoring system,” 2nd Int. Asia Conf. on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (CAR), pp. 76-79, 2010.
-  R. Gustilo R and E. Dadios “Fuzzy-Based Water Quality Monitor and Control For Prawn Aquaculture,” 5th Int. Conf. on Humanoid, Nano-technology, Information Technology Communication and Control, Environment and Management (HNICEM), 2011.
-  Y. K. Lee, N. Hamzah, and R. Jailani, “Prediction of water quality index (WQI) based on artificial neural network (ANN),” Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD 2002), 2002.
-  S. R. M. M. Roveda, A. P. M. Bondança, J. G. S. Silva, J. A. F. Roveda, and A. H. Rosa, “Development of a water quality index using a fuzzy logic: A case study for the Sorocaba river,” 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ), 2010.
-  S. W. Shyue, C. L. Lee, and H. C. Chen, “An approach to a coastal water quality index for Taiwan,” Conf. Proc. on OCEANS ’96, MTS/IEEE, Prospects for the 21st Century.
-  X. JianYing, C. Jing, G. Xiaoyu, and W. Dongbin, “A New Concept on Water Quality Index for Safe Reuse of Reclaimed Water,” Int. Conf. on Digital Manufacturing and Automation (ICDMA), 2010.
-  X. Shen, et al. “Water Environment Monitoring System Based on Neural Networks For Shrimp Cultivation,” 2009 Int. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence, pp. 427-431, 2009.
-  J. D. Irish and S. J. Boduch, “Aquaculture Feed buoy Control - Part 2: Telemetry, Data Handling and Shore-Based Control,” OCEANS, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  J. E. Quansah, G. L. Rochon, and K. K. Quagrainie, “Remote sensing applications for sustainable aquaculture in Africa,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, 2007.
-  A. P. M. Michel, K. L. Croff, K. W. McLetchie, and J. D. Irish, “A remote monitoring system for Open Ocean Aquaculture,” OCEANS ’02 MTS/IEEE.
-  R. Lea, E. Dohmann, W. Prebilsky, P. Lee, P. Turk, and Y. Hao, “A fuzzy logic application to aquaculture environment control,” Fuzzy Information Processing Society – NAFIPS, 1998 Conf. of the North American.
-  Australian Prawn Farming Manual.
-  N. Pushparajan and P. Soundarapandian, “Recent Farming of Marine Black Tiger Shrimp, Penaeus Monodon (Fabricius) in South India,” African J. of Basic & Applied Sciences Vol.2 No.1-2, pp. 33-36, 2010.
-  V. De Leon, A. Ballado, R. Gustilo, and P. Dychitran, “MCU-Based Aquaculture System,” IAENG Conf. –WCECS 2011, 2011.
-  E. P. Dadios, “Fuzzy Logic,” Cortia: In Tech 2012, Accession Number: dlsu.b1326784.
-  V. Dimitrov and V. Korotkich, “Fuzzy logic : a framework for the new millennium,” Heidelberg : Physica-Verlag, 2002.
-  L. Y. Kuan, “Prediction of Water Quality Index (WQI) based on artificial neural network,” Student Conf. on Research and Development, 2002.
-  S. R. M. M. Roveda et al., “Development of a water quality index using a fuzzy logic: A case study for the Sorocaba river,” 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 1-5, 2010.
and Laurence A. Gan Lim, “Neuro-Fuzzy Control Techniques for Optimal Water Quality Index in a Small Scale Tiger Prawn Aquaculture Setup,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 805-811, 2014
and Laurence A. Gan Lim, J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 805-811, 2014