An Ultrasound Technique of Bone Thickness Estimation for Pedicle Screw Insertion
Muhamad Khairul Ali Hassan*,**, Kouki Nagamune*,***,
Kenichiro Kakutani***, Koichiro Maeno***, Kotaro Nishida***,
and Masahiro Kurosaka***
*Graduate School Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**School of Mechatronic Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Perlis
***Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University
-  A. Hosokawa and T. Otani, “Ultrasonic wave propagation in bovine cancellous bone,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Vol.101, No.1, pp. 558-562, 1997.
-  Ultrasound technologist schools, Homepage of Ultrasound technologist schools,
[accessed on March 2010]
-  W. Abendschein and G. W. Hyatt, “Ultrasonics and selected physical properties of bone,” Clin Orthop Relat Res., Vol.69, pp. 294-301, 1970.
-  M B. Kabins and J. N Weinstein, “The history of verterbral screw and pedicle screw fixation,” Iowa Orthopaedic J., Vol.11, pp. 127-136, 1991.
-  U. Liljenqvist, L. Hackenberg, T. Link, and H. Halm, “Pullout strength of pedicle screws versus pedicle and laminar hooks in the thoracic spine,” Acta Orthop Belg, Vol.67, pp. 157-163, 2001.
-  M. H. Krag, D. L.Weaver, B. D. Beynnon, and L. D. Haugh, “Morphometry of the thoracic and lumbar spine related to transpedicular screw placement for surgical spinal fixation,” J. of Spine, Vol.13, 1988.
-  A. R. Vaccaro, S. J. Rizzolo, T. J. Allardyce, M. Ramsey, J. Salvo, and R. A. Balderston, “Placement of pedicle screws in the thoracic spine. Part I: Morphometric analysis of the thoracic vertebrae,” J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.77, pp. 1193-1199, 1995.
-  D. Brockmeyer, R. Apfelbaum, R. Tippets, M. Walker, and L. Carey, “Pediatric cervical spine instrumentation using screw fixation,” Pediatr Neurosurg, Vol.22, pp. 147-157, 1995.
-  D.W. Lowry, I. F Pollack, B. Clyde, A. L.Albright, and P.D.Adelson, “Upper cervical spine fusion in the pediatric population,” J Neurosurg, Vol.87, pp. 671-676, 1997.
-  S. J. Lewis, F. Canavese, and S. Keetbaas, “Intralaminar screw inser-tion of thoracic spine in children with severe spinal deformities: two case reports,” Spine, Vol.34, pp. E251-E254, 2009.
-  M. F. O’Brien, L. G. Lenke, S. Mardjetko, T. G. Lowe, Y. Kong, and K. Eck, “Pedicle morphology in thoracic adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: is pedicle fixation an anatomically viable technique?” Spine, Vol.25, pp. 2285-2293, 2000.
-  H. Senaran, S. A. Shah, P. G. Gabos, A. G. Littleton, G. Neiss, and J. T. Guille, “Difficult thoracic pedicle screw placement in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis,” J Spinal Disord Tech, Vol.21, pp. 187-19, 2008.
-  B. A. C. Molina, M. Daniel, M. D. Scibba, M. D. p. C. Chaput, M. D. J. Tortolani, I. George, M. D. Jallo, and M. D. R. M. Kretzer, “A computed tomography-based feasibility study of translaminar screw placement in the pediatric thoracic spine,” J Neurosurg Pediatrics, Vol.9, pp. 27-34, 2012.
-  V. Ferrari, P. Parchi, S. Condino, M. Carbone, A. Balugan, M. Ferrari, F. Mosca, and M. Lisanti “An optimal design for patientspecific templates forpedicle spine screws placement,” Int. J Med Robotics Comput Assist Surg, DOI:10.1002/rcs. 1439, 2012.
-  G. L. Farber, H. M. Place, R. A. Mazur et al. “Accuracy of pedicle screw placement in lumbar fusions by plain radiographs and computed tomography,” Spine, Vol.20, No.13, pp. 1494-1499, 1995.
-  P. Merloz, J. Tonetti, A. Eid et al. “Computer assisted spine surgery,” Clin Orthop Relat Res, Vol.337, pp. 86-96, 1997.
-  V. Y. Wang, C. T. Chin, D. C. Lu et al. “Free-hand thoracic pedicle screws placed by neurosurgery residents: a CT analysis,” Eur Spine J., Vol.19, No.5, pp. 821-827, 2010.
-  D. Gelalis et al., “Accuracy of pedicle screw placement: a systematic review of prospective in vivo studies comparing free hand, fluoroscopy guidance and navigation techniques,” European Spine J., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 247-255, 2012.
-  L. P. Amiot, K. Lang, M. Putzier et al. “Comparative results between conventional and computer-assisted pedicle screw installation in the thoracic, lumbar, and sacral spine,” Eur Spine J., Vol.25, No.5, pp. 606-614, 2000.
-  T. Laine, T. Lund, M. Ylikoski et al. “Accuracy of pedicle screw insertion with and without computer assistance: a randomised controlled clinical study in 100 consecutive patients,” Eur Spine J., Vol.9, No.3, pp. 235-240, 2000.
-  O. Schwarzenbach, U. Berlemann, B. Jost et al. “Accuracy of computer-assisted pedicle screw placement. An in vivo computed tomography analysis,” Spine, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 452-458, 1997.
-  Y. Ishikawa, T. Kanemura, G. Yoshida et al. “Clinical accuracy of three-dimensional fluoroscopy-based computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement: a retrospective comparative study of conventional versus computer-assisted cervical pedicle screw placement,” Neurosurg Spine J., Vol.13, No.5, pp. 606-611, 2010.
-  V. Ferrari, P. Parchi, S. Condino, M. Carbone, A. Balugan, M. Ferrari, F. Mosca, and M. Lisanti, “An optimal design for patientspecific templates forpedicle spine screws placement,” Int J Med Robotics Comput Assist Surg, DOI:10.1002/rcs., 1439, 2012.
-  S. R. Kantelhardt, R. Martinez, S. Baerwinkel et al. “Perioperative course and accuracy of screw positioning in conventional, open robotic-guided and percutaneous robotic-guided, pedicle screw placement,” Eur Spine J, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 860-868, 2011.
-  I. H. Lieberman, D. Togawa, M. M. Kayanja et al. “Bone-mounted miniature robotic guidance for pedicle screw and translaminar facet screw placement: Part I – Technical development and a test case result,” Neurosurgery, Vol.59, No.3, pp. 641-650, 2006.
-  S. Lu et al., “Accuracy and efficacy of thoracic pedicle screws in scoliosis with patient-specific drill template,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, pp. 1-8, 2012.
-  R. Wolff, H. Deppe, and T. C. Lueth, “Basic concepts of optical measuring of bone thickness with IR-Beam,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2011 Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE, pp. 405-408, 2011.
-  J. Karjalainen, O. Riekkinen, J. Toyras, H. Kroger, and J. Jurvelin, “Ultrasonic assessment of cortical bone thickness in vitro and in vivo,” Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, IEEE Trans. on, Vol.55, No.10, pp. 2191-2197, 2008.
-  S. Hakim, K. Watkin, M. Elahi, and L. Lessard, “Measurement of cranial bone thickness using A-mode ultrasound,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 1997, Proc. of the 19th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE, Vol.2, pp. 613-616, 1997.
-  S. H. Tretbar, P. K. Plinkert, and P. A. Federspil, “Accuracy of ultrasound measurements for skull bone thickness using coded signals,” Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Trans. on, Vol.56, No.3, pp. 733-740, 2009.
-  Y. Sun, “Ultrasound Characterization of Structure and Density of Coral as a Model for Trabecular Bone,” PhD diss., Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2000.
-  U. W Geisthoff et al., “Improved ultrasound-based navigation for robotic drilling at the lateral skull base,” Int. Congress Series, Vol.1268, Elsevier, 2004.
-  H. S. Ronald et al., “Effect of Corneal Hydration on Ultrasound Velocity and Backscatter,” Ultrasound Med Biol, Vol.35, No.5, pp. 839-846, 2009.
-  A. Hosokawa and T. Otani, “Ultrasonic wave propagation in bovine cancellous bone,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol.101, pp. 558-562, 1997.
-  J. H. Chang, D. T. Raphael, Y. P. Zhang, and K. K. Shung, “Proof of concept: In vitro measurement of correlation between radiodensity and ultrasound echo response of ovine vertebral bodies,” Ultrasonics, Vol.51, No.3, pp. 253-257, 2011.
-  M. Mujagic, H. J. Ginsberg, and R. S. Cobbold, “Development of a method for ultrasound-guided placement of pedicle screws,” Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, IEEE Trans. on, Vol.55, No.6, pp. 1267-1276, 2008.
-  P. Heini, E. Scholl, D.Wyler, and S. Eggli, “Fatal cardiac tam- ponade associated with posterior spinal instrumentation: A case report,” Spine, Vol.23, pp. 2226-2230, 1998.
-  A. R. Vaccaro, S. J. Rizzolo, R. A. Balderston, T. J. Allardyce, S. R. Garfin, C. Dolinskas, and H. S An, “Placement of pedicle screws in the thoracic spine. Part II: An anatomical and radiographic assessment,” J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.77, pp. 1200-1206, 1995.
-  K. D. Kim, J. P. Johnson, B. O. Bloch, and J. E. Masciopinto, “Computer-assisted thoracic pedicle screw placement: an in vitro feasibility study,” Spine, pp. 360-364, 2001.
-  A. R. Vaccaro, S. J. Rizzolo, T. J. Allardyce, M. Ramsey, J. Salvo, R. A. Balderston, and J. M. Cotler, “Placement of pedicle screws in the thoracic spine. Part I: Morphometric analysis of the thoracic vertebrae,” J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.77, pp. 1193-1199, 1995.
-  R. Xu, N. A. Ebraheim, Y. Ou, and R. A. Yeasting, “Anatomic considerations of pedicle screw placement in the thoracic spine. Roy-Camille technique versus open-lamina technique,” Spine, Vol.23, pp. 1065-1068, 1998.
-  U. R. Liljenqvist, H. F. Halm, and T. M. Link, “Pedicle screw instrumentation of the thoracic spine in idiopathic scoliosis,” Spine, Vol.22, pp. 2239-2245, 1997.
-  J. J. Carbone, P. J. Tortolani, and L. G. Quartararo, “Fluoroscopically assisted pedicle screw fixation for thoracic and thoracolumbar injuries: technique and short-term complications,” Spine, Vol.28, pp. 91-97, 2003.
-  Y. R. Rampersaud, K. T. Foley, A. C. Shen, S. Williams, and M. Solomito, “Radiation exposure to the spine surgeon during fluoroscopically assisted pedicle screw insertion,” Spine, Vol.25, pp. 2637-2645, 2000.
-  B. J. Shin, A. R. James, I. U. Njoku, and R. Härtl, “Pedicle screw navigation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of perforation risk for computer-navigated versus freehand insertion,” J. of Neurosurgery: Spine, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 113-122, 2012.
-  T.-S. Fu et al., “Pedicle screw insertion: computed tomography versus fluoroscopic image guidance,” Int. orthopaedics Vol.32, No.4, pp. 517-521, 2008.
-  P. Nicholson and R. Alkalay, “Quantitative ultrasound predicts bone mineral density and failure load in human lumbar vertebrae,” Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 623-629, 2007.
-  A. Keith Wear, “Autocorrelation and cepstral methods for measurement of tibial cortical thickness,” Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, IEEE Trans. on, Vol.50, No.6, pp. 655-660, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.