Modeling and Simulation of Road Traffic Behavior: Artificial Drivers with Personality and Emotions
George Leu*, Neville J. Curtis**, and Hussein Abbass*
*Department of Computer Science, School of Engineering and Information Technology, University of New South Wales Canberra, the Australian Defence Force Academy, Po BOX 7916, Canberra BC 2610, Australia
**Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Edinburgh, SA, Australia
-  A. J. Figueredo, J. A. Sefcek, G. Vasquez, B. H. Brumbach, J. E. King, and W. J. Jacobs, “Evolutionary personality psychology,” NJ, Wiley, City, 2005.
-  A. J. Figueredo, G. Váquez, B. H. Brumbach, J. A. Sefcek, B. R. Kirsner, and W. J. Jacobs, “The K-factor: Individual differences in life history strategy,” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.39, No.8, pp. 1349-1360, 2005.
-  H. J. Eysenck, “Dimensions of personality: 16, 5 or 3? – Criteria for a taxonomic paradigm,” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.12, No.8, pp. 773-790, 1991.
-  L. R. Goldberg, “An Alternative “Description of Personality”: The Big-Five Factor Structure,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.59, No.6, pp. 1216-1229, 1990.
-  S. V. Paunonen and M. C. Ashton, “Big Five factors and facets and the prediction of behavior,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.81, No.3, pp. 524-539, 2001.
-  S. Clarke and I. T. Robertson, “A meta-analytic review of the Big Five personality factors and accident involvement in occupational and non-occupational settings,” Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol.78, No.3, pp. 355-376, 2005.
-  T. Lajunen, “Personality and accident liability: are extraversion, neuroticism and psychoticism related to traffic and occupational fatalities?” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.31, No.8, pp. 1365-1373, 2001.
-  T. Lajunen and D. Parker, “Are aggressive people aggressive drivers? A study of the relationship between self-reported general aggressiveness, driver anger and aggressive driving,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.33, No.2, pp. 243-255, 2001.
-  D. Jovanovic, K. Lipovac, P. Stanojevic, and D. Stanojevic, “The effects of personality traits on driving-related anger and aggressive behaviour in traffic among Serbian drivers,” Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 43-53, 2011.
-  D. E. Miles and G. L. Johnson, “Aggressive driving behaviors: are there psychological and attitudinal predictors?” Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 147-161, 2003.
-  D. Lester, “National differences in neuroticism and extraversion,” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.28, No.1, pp. 35-39, 2000.
-  W. Revelle and K. R. Scherer, “Personality and emotion,” Oxford University Press, City, 2010.
-  R. S. Lazarus, “Thoughts on the relations between emotion and cognition,” American Psychologist, Vol.37, No.9, pp. 1019-1024, 1982.
-  A. R. Damasio, “Descartes’ error: Emotion, reason, and the human brain,” Putnam, New York, 1994.
-  S. T. Murphy and R. B. Zajonc, “Affect, cognition, and awareness: Affective priming with optimal and suboptimal stimulus exposures,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.64, No.5, pp. 723-739, 1993.
-  P. Ekman and W. V. Friesen, “Constants across cultures in the face and emotion,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 124-129, 1971.
-  P. D. Bolls, A. Lang, and R. F. Potter, “The Effects of Message Valence and Listener Arousal on Attention, Memory, and Facial Muscular Responses to Radio Advertisements,” Communication Research, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 627-651, October 1, 2001.
-  C. Pêher, C. Lemercier, and J.-M. Cellier, “Emotions drive attention: Effects on driver’s behaviour,” Safety Science, Vol.47, No.9, pp. 1254-1259, 2009.
-  K. Fiedler and H. Bless, “The formation of beliefs in the interface of affective and cognitive processes,” Cambridge University Press, City, 2001.
-  M. Grimm, K. Kroschel, H. Harris, C. Nass, B. Schuller, G. Rigoll, and T. Moosmayr, “On the Necessity and Feasibility of Detecting a Driver’s Emotional State While Driving,” LNCS, Springer, Vol.4738, pp. 126-138, 2007.
-  J. J. Javela, R. Mercadillo, and J. M. Ramirez, “Anger and Associated Experiences of Sadness, Fear, Valence, Arousal, and Dominance Evoked by Visual Scenes,” Psychological Reports, Vol.103, pp. 665-681, 2008.
-  D. Shinar, “Aggressive driving: the contribution of the drivers and the situation,” Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 137-160, 1998.
-  S. Sarkar, A. Martineau, M. Emami, M. Khatib, and K. Wallace, “Aggressive Driving and Road Rage Behaviors on Freeways in San Diego, California: Spatial and Temporal Analyses of Observed and Reported Variations,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol.1724, pp. 7-13, 2000.
-  A. Kesting, M. Treiber, and D. Helbing, “General Lane-Changing Model MOBIL for Car-Following Models,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol.1999, No.1, pp. 86-94, 2007.
-  M. Brackstone, and M. McDonald, “Car-following: a historical review,” Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 181-196, 1999.
-  Y. Weng and T. Wu, “Car-following model of vehicular traffic,” IEEE Xplore, City, 2001.
-  J. A. Laval and C. F. Daganzo, “Lane-changing in traffic streams,” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Vol.40, No.3, pp. 251-264, 2006.
-  S. Panwai and H. Dia, “Comparative evaluation of microscopic carfollowing behavior,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.6, No.3, 2005.
-  T. Fotherby, “Visual Traffic Simulation,” Imperial College, London, 2002.
-  J. Barcelo, J. L. Ferrer, D. García, R. Grau, M. Florian, I. Chabini, and E. Le Saux, “Microscopic traffic simulation for ATT systems analysis, a parralel computing version,” City, 1998.
-  X. Pan, J. Zhang, and K. Y. Szeto, “Application of Mutation Only Genetic Algorithm for the Extraction of Investment Strategy in Financial Time Series,” IEEEXplore, City, 2005.
-  G. Leu and A. Namatame, “Evolving Failure Resilience in Scale-Free Networks,” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, City, 2009.
-  A. Takacs, A. Serbanescu, G. Leu, H. Aubert, P. Pons, T. Parra, and R. Plana, “On layout optimization of the microwave diplexor filter using genetic algorithms,” IEEE Xlpore – IEEE Electron Devices Society, City, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.