An Automatic Three-Dimensional Evaluation of Screw Placement After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using MDCT Images
Yosuke Uozumi*1, Kouki Nagamune*2,*3, Yuichiro Nishizawa*3,
Daisuke Araki*3, Yuichi Hoshino*3,*4, Takehiko Matsushita*3,
Ryosuke Kuroda*3, and Masahiro Kurosaka*3
*1Department of Advanced Interdisciplinary Science and Techonology, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
*2Department of Human and Artificial Intelligence Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
*3Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, 7-5-2 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
*4Kaisei Hospital, 3-11-15 Shinohara Kitamachi, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-0068, Japan
-  G. Li, L. E. DeFrate, H. E. Rubash, and T. J. Gill, “In vivo kinemetics of the ACL during weight-bearing knee flexion,” J. Orthop. Res., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 340-344, 2005.
-  K. Samuelsson, D. Andersson, and J. Karlsson, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries with special reference to graft type and surgical technique: an assessment of randomized controlled trials,” Arthroscopy., Vol.25, No.10, pp. 1139-1174, 2009.
-  J. Orchard, I. Chivers, D. Aldous, K. Bennell, and H. Seward, “Rye grass is associated with fewer non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injuries than bermuda grass,” Br. J. Sports Med., Vol.39, No.10, pp. 704-709, 2005.
-  P. Rochcongar, E. Laboute, J. Jan, and C. Carling, “Ruptures of the anterior cruciate ligament in soccer,” Int. J. Sports Med., Vol.30, No. 5, pp. 372-378, 2009.
-  L. J. Micheli, J. D. Metzl, Di J. Canzio, and D. Zurakowski, “Anterior cruciate ligament reconstructive surgery in adolescent soccer and basketball players,” Clin. J. Sports Med., Vol.9, No.3, pp. 138-141, 1999.
-  H. Negahban, M. R. Hadian, M. Salavati, M.Mazaheri, S. Talebian, A. H. Jafari, and M. Parnianpour, “The effects of dual-tasking on postural control in people with unilateral anterior cruciate ligament injury,” Gait Posture., Vol.30, No.4, pp. 477-481, 2009.
-  B. Engström, M. Forssblad, C. Johansson, and H. Törnkvist, “Does a major knee injury definitely sideline an elite soccer player?,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.18, No.1, pp. 101-105, 1990.
-  A. Meunier, M. Odensten, and L. Good, “Long-term results after primary repair or non-surgical treatment of anterior cruciate ligament rupture: a randomized study with a 15-year follow-up,” Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 230-237, 2007.
-  D. Andersson, K. Samuelssonm, and J. Karlsson, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries with special reference to surgical technique and rehabilitation: an assessment of randomized controlled trials,” Arthroscopy, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 653-685, 2009.
-  P. Neuman, M. Englund, I. Kostogiannis, T. Fridén, H. Roos, and L. E Dahlberg, “Prevalence of tibiofemoral osteoarthritis 15 years after nonoperative treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injury: a prospective cohort study,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.36, No.9, pp. 1717-1725, 2008.
-  B. Beynnon, R. Johnson, J. Abate, B. Fleming, and C. Nichols, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, Part I,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.33, No.10, pp. 1579-1602, 2005.
-  B. Beynnon, R. Johnson, J. Abate, B. Fleming, and C. Nichols, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, Part II,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.33, No.11, pp. 1751-1767, 2005.
-  M. Yagi, R. Kuroda, K. Nagamune, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka, “Double-bundle ACL reconstruction can improve rotational stability,” Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res., Vol.454, pp. 100-107, 2007.
-  M. Kurosaka, S. Yoshiya, and J. T. Andrish, “A biomechanical comparison of different surgical techniques of graft fixation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am J Sports Med 15, 225-229, 1987.
-  L. A. Pinczewski, J. Lyman, L. J. Salmon, V. J. Russell, J. Roe, and J. Linklater, “A 10-year comparison of anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions with hamstring tendon and patellar tendon autograft: a controlled, prospective trial,” Am J Sports Med 35, 564-574, 2007.
-  G. Cerullo and G. Puddu, “Arthroscopic placement of the interference screw for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy 9, 712-713, 1993.
-  D. Kohn and C. Rose, “Primary stability of interference screw fixation. Influence of screw diameter and insertion torque,” Am J Sports Med 22, 334-338, 1994.
-  C. S. Ahmad, T. R. Gardner, M. Groh, J. Arnouk, and W. N. Levine, “Mechanical properties of soft tissue femoral fixation devices for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am J Sports Med 32, 635-640, 2004.
-  A. L. Doerr Jr. B. T. Cohn, M. J. Ruoff, and V. K. McInerny, “A complication of interference screw fixation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Orthop Rev 19, 997-1000, 1990.
-  C. A. Bush-Joseph and B. R. Bach Jr., “Migration of femoral interference screw after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am J Knee Surg 11, 32-34, 1998.
-  D. S. Sidhu and R. R.Wroble, “Intraarticular migration of a femoral interference fit screw. A complication of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am J Sports Med 25, 268-271, 1997.
-  S. L. Karlakki and M. E. Downes, “Intra-articular migration of femoral interference screw: Open or arthroscopic removal,” Arthroscopy 19, E19, 2003
-  G. Milano, P. D. Mulas, F. Ziranu, S. Piras, A. Manunta and C. Fabbriciani, “Comparison between different femoral fixation devices for ACL reconstruction with doubled hamstring tendon graft: a biomechanical analysis,” Arthroscopy 22, 660-668, 2006.
-  C. J. Micucci, D. A. Frank, J. Kompel, M. Muffly, P. J. DeMeo and G. T. Altman, “The effect of interference screw diameter on fixation of soft-tissue grafts in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy 26, 1105-1110, 2010.
-  A. Werner, A. Wild, A. Ilg, and R. Krauspe, “Secondary intraarticular dislocation of a broken bioabsorbable interference screw after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthr 10, 30-32, 2002.
-  E. Monaco, L. Labianca, A. Speranza, M. Agrò, G. Camillieri, C. D’Arrigo, and A. Ferretti, “Biomechanical evaluation of different anterior cruciate ligament fixation techniques for hamstringgraft,” J Orthop Sci. 15, 125-131, 2010.
-  S. H. Wei, K. J. McQuade, and G. L. Smidt, “Three-dimensional joint range of motion measurements from skeletal coordinate data,” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 18, 687-691, 1993.
-  K. Nagamune, D. Araki, K. Nishimoto, Y. Hoshino, S. Kubo, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “An evaluation method of EndoButton position in MDCT image after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” IEEE Int. Conf. on System, 1334-1337, 2009.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, T. Matsushita, S. Kubo, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “Six degree-of-freedom calculation based on principal component analysis for the knee joint in MDCT image,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, 1436-1441, 2011.
-  Y. Hoshino, R. Kuroda, K. Nagamune, M. Yagi, K. Mizuno, M. Yamaguchi, H. Muratsu, S. Yoshiya, and K. Masahiro, “In vivo measurement of the pivot-shift test in the anterior cruciate ligament ? deficient knee using an electromagnetic device,” Am J Sports Med 35, 1098-1104, 2007.
-  M. Rohrbach, M. Luem, and P. E. Ochsner, “Patient and surgery related factors associated with fatigue type polyethylene wear on 49 PCA and DURACON retrievals at autopsy and revision,” J Orthop Surg Res 3, 8, 2008.
-  J. R. Moreland, L.W. Bassett, and G. J. Hanker, “Radiographic analysis of the axial alignment of the lower extremity,” J Bone Joint Surg Am 69, 745-749, 1987.
-  A. Ariumi, T. Sato, K. Kobayashi, Y. Koga, G. Omori, I. Minato, and N. Endo, “Three-dimensional lower extremity alignment in the weight-bearing standing position in healthy elderly subjects,” J Orthop Sci 15, 64-70, 2010.
-  G. M. Snyder and D. L. Johnson, “Anatomic graft placement in ACL surgery: plain radiographs are all we need,” Orthopedics 34, 116-118, 2011.
-  S. M. Howell, P. Roos, and M. L. Hull, “Compaction of a bone dowel in the tibial tunnel improves the fixation stiffness of a soft tissue anterior cruciate ligament graft an in vitro study in calf tibia,” Am J Sports Med 33, 719-725, 2005.
-  E. M. Goble, D. J. Downey, and T. R. Wilcox, “Positioning tibial tunnel for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy 11, 688-695, 1995.
-  J. P. W. Pluim, J. B. A. Maintz, and M. A. Viergever, “Mutualinformation-based registration of medical images: a survey,” IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22, 986-1004, 2003.
-  F. R. Noyes, “Arthroscopically assisted posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: the all-inside technique and the tibial inlay technique using double bundle quadriceps tendon bone autograft,” Tech Knee Surg 20, e23-e28, 2003.
-  J. Chouteau, J. L. Lerat, R. Testa, B. Moyen, and S. A. Banks, “Effects of radiograph projection parameter uncertainty on TKA kinematics from model-image registration,” 40, 3744-3747, 2007.
-  W. H. Castro, H. Halm, J. Jerosch, J. Malms, J. Steinbeck, and S. Blasius, “Accuracy of pedicle screw placement in lumbar vertebrae,” Spine 21, 1320-1324, 1996.
-  S. I. Esses, B. L. Sachs, and V. Dreyzin, “Complications associated with the technique of pedicle screw fixation,” A selected survey of ABS members. Spine 18, 2231-2238, 1993.
-  O. Schwarzenbach, U. Berlemann, B. Jost, H. Visarius, E. Arm, F. Langlotz, L. P. Nolte, and C. Ozdoba, “Accuracy of computerassisted pedicle screw placement,” An in vivo computed tomography analysis. Spine 22, 452-458, 1997.
-  W. C.Welch, B. R. Subach, I. F. Pollack, and G. B. Jacobs, “Frameless stereotactic guidance for surgery of the upper cervical spine,” Neurosurgery 40, 958-963, 1997.
-  P. Brucker, B. Zelle, and F. Fu, “Intraarticular EndoButton displacement in anatomic anterior cruciate ligament double-bundle rerconstruction: A case report,” Oper Tech Orthop, 15, 154-157, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.