Cultivation of Synthetic Biology with the iGEM Competition
Thiprampai Thamamongood*1, Nathaniel Z. L. Lim*2,
Trevor Y.H. Ho*2, Shotaro Ayukawa*3, Daisuke Kiga*4,
and King L. Chow*2
*1Department of Biological Information, Tokyo Institute of Technology, J2-1707, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
*2Division of Life Science, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong
*3Education Academy of Computational Life Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 226-8501, Japan
*4Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology, J2-1707, 4259 Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
-  D. Endy, “Foundations for engineering biology,” Nature, Vol.438, pp. 449-453, 2005.
-  E. Andrianantoandro, S. Basu, D. K. Karig, and R. Weiss, “Synthetic biology: new engineering rules for an emerging discipline,” Molecular systems biology, Vol.2, 2006.0028, 2006.
-  R. Kwok, “Five hard truths for synthetic biology,” Nature, Vol.463, pp. 288-290, 2010.
-  A. Arkin, “Setting the standard in synthetic biology,” Nature biotechnology, Vol.26, Issue 7, pp. 771-774, 2008.
-  R. Shetty, D. Endy, and T. Knight, “Engineering BioBrick vectors from BioBrick parts,” J. of biological engineering, Vol.2, No.5, 2008.
-  B. Canton, A. Labno, and D. Endy, “Refinement and standardization of synthetic biological parts and devices,” Vol.26, Issue 7, pp. 787-793, 2008.
-  J. Kelly, A. Rubin, and J. Davis, “Measuring the activity of Bio-Brick promoters using an in vivo reference standard,” J. of biological engineering, Vol.3, No.4, 2009.
-  http://2011.igem.org/Team:Tokyo Tech
-  http://2012.igem.org/Team:Tokyo Tech
-  C. D. Smolke, “Building outside of the box: iGEM and the BioBricks Foundation,” Nature biotechnology, Vol.27, No.12, pp. 1099-1102, 2009.
-  M. Galdzicki, C. Rodriguez, D. Chandran, H. M. Sauro, and J. H. Gennari, “Standard biological parts knowledgebase,” PloS one, Vol.6, Issue 2, e17005, 2011.
-  T. Lu, A. Khalil, and J. Collins, “Next-generation synthetic gene networks,” Nature biotechnology, Vol.27, Issue 12, pp. 1139-1150, 2009.
-  R. Conrado, G. Wu, J. Boock, H. Xu, S. Y. Chen, T. Lebar, J. Turnek, N. Tomič, M. Avbelj, R. Gaber, T. Koprivnjak, J.Mori, V. Glavnik, I. Vovk, M. Benčina, V. Hodnik, G. Anderluh, J. E. Dueber, R. Jerala, and M. P. DeLisa, “DNA-guided assembly of biosynthetic pathways promotes improved catalytic efficiency,” Nucleic acids research, Vol.40, Issue 4, pp. 1879-1889, 2012.
-  S. Ayukawa, A. Kobayashi, Y. Nakashima, H. Takagi, S. Hamada, M. Uchiyama, K. Yugi, S. Murata, Y. Sakakibara, M. Hagiya, M. Yamamura, and D. Kiga, “Construction of a genetic AND gate under a new standard for assembly of genetic parts,” BMC genomics, Vol.11, Supp. 4, S16, 2010.
-  C. Lou, X. Liu, M. Ni, Y. Huang, Q. Huang, L. Huang, L. Jiang, D. Lu, M. Wang, C. Liu D. Chen, C. Chen, X. Chen, L. Yang, H. Ma, J. Chen, and Q. Ouyang, “Synthesizing a novel genetic sequential logic circuit: a push-on push-off switch,” Molecular systems biology, Vol.6, p. 350, 2010.
-  C. Liu, X. Fu, and L. Lir, “Sequential establishment of stripe patterns in an expanding cell population,” Science, Vol.334, Issue 6053, pp. 238-241, 2011.
-  R. Sekine, M. Yamamura, S. Ayukawa, K. Ishimatsu, S. Akama, M. Takinoue, M. Hagiya, and D. Kiga “Tunable synthetic phenotypic diversification on Waddington’s landscape through autonomous signaling,” Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol.108, Issue 44, pp. 17969-17973, 2011.
-  http://2010.igem.org/Team:Tokyo Tech
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.