Impacts of Multimodal Feedback on Efficiency of Proactive Information Retrieval from Task-Related HRI
Barbara Gonsior*, Christian Landsiedel*,
Nicole Mirnig**, Stefan Sosnowski*, Ewald Strasser**,
Jakub Złotowski**, Martin Buss*, KoljaKühnlenz*,
Manfred Tscheligi**, Astrid Weiss**, and Dirk Wollherr*
*Institute of Automatic Control Engineering (LSR), Technische Universität München, D-80290 Munich, Germany
**ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 18, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
1. Interactive Urban Robot, http://www.iuro-project.eu
-  I. Nourbakhsh, C. Kunz, and T.Willeke, “The mobot museum robot installations: A five year experiment,” In IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2003.
-  S. Thrun, M. Bennewitz, W. Burgard, A. Cremers, F. Dellaert, D. Fox, D. Hahnel, C. Rosenberg, N. Roy, J. Schulte et al., “MINERVA: A second-generation museum tour-guide robot,” In IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1999-2005, 1999.
-  H. Gross, H. Bühme, C. Schröter, S. Müller, A. König, C. Martin, M. Merten, and A. Bley, “Shopbot: Progress in developing an interactive mobile shopping assistant for everyday use,” In IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2008.
-  A. Sanfeliu and J. Andrade-Cetto, “Ubiquitous networking robotics in urban settings,” In IEEE/RSJ IROS Workshop on Network Robot Systems, pp. 14-18, 2006.
-  G. Ferri, A. Mondini, A. Manzi, B. Mazzolai, C. Laschi, V. Mattoli, M. Reggente, T. Stoyanov, A. J. Lilienthal, M. Lettere, and P. Dario, “DustCart, a Mobile Robot for Urban Environments: Experiments of Pollution Monitoring and Mapping during Autonomous Navigation in Urban Scenarios,” In ICRA Workshop on Networked and Mobile Robot Olfaction in Natural, Dynamic Environments, 2010.
-  B. Dumas, D. Lalanne, and S. Oviatt, “Multimodal interfaces: a survey of principles, models and frameworks,” Human Machine Interaction, pp. 3-26, 2009.
-  R. Stiefelhagen, C. Fugen, R. Gieselmann, H. Holzapfel, K. Nickel, and A. Waibel, “Natural human-robot interaction using speech, head pose and gestures,” In IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.3, pp. 2422-2427, 2004.
-  N. Mirnig, A. Weiss, and M. Tscheligi, “A communication structure for human-robot itinerary requests,” In Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, 2011.
-  N. Mirnig, S. Riegler, A. Weiss, and M. Tscheligi, “A Case Study on the Effect of Feedback on Itinerary Requests in Human-Robot Interaction,” In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 343-349, 2011.
-  M. Salem, K. Rohlfing, S. Kopp, and F. Joublin, “A Friendly Gesture: Investigating the Effect of Multimodal Robot Behavior in Human-Robot Interaction,” In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 247-252, 2011.
-  A. Muhammad, S. Alili, M. Warnier, and R. Alami, “An Architecture Supporting Proactive Robot Companion Behavior,” In AISB Convention, 2009.
-  A. Schmid, O. Weede, and H. Worn, “Proactive robot task selection given a human intention estimate,” In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human interactive Communication, pp. 726-731, 2007.
-  O. Schrempf, U. Hanebeck, A. Schmid, and H. Worn, “A novel approach to proactive human-robot cooperation,” In IEEE Int. WS Robot & Human Interactive Communication, pp. 555-560, 2005.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, V. Giuliani, F. Pecora, R. Rasconi, M. Scopelliti, and L. Tiberio, “Proactive assistive technology: An empirical study,” Human-Computer Interact., pp. 255-268, 2007.
-  R. Müller, T. Röfer, A. Lankenau, R. Musto, K. Stein, and A. Eisenkolb, “Coarse Qualitative Descriptions in Robot Navigation,” In Spatial Cognition II, pp. 265-276, 2000.
-  H. Asoh, Y. Motomura, F. Asano, I. Hara, S. Hayamizu, N. Vlassis, and B. Kröse, “Jijo-2: An Office Robot that Communicates and Learns,” Intelligent Systems, Vol.19, No.5, pp. 46-55, 2001.
-  M. Michalowski, S. Sabanovic, C. DiSalvo, D. B. Font, L. Hiatt, N. Melchior, and R. Simmons, “Socially Distributed Perception: GRACE plays Social Tag at AAAI 2005,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 385-397, 2007.
-  S. Lauria, G. Bugmann, T. Kyriacou, and E. Klein, “Instruction Based Learning: How to Instruct a Personal Robot to Find HAL,” In European Workshop on Learning Robots, 2001.
-  G. Skantze, “Error Handling in Spoken Dialogue Systems – Managing Uncertainty, Grounding and Miscommunication,” Doctoral thesis, KTH Computer Science and Communication, 2007.
-  T. Tenbrink, S. Hui, and K. Fischer, “Route instruction dialogues with a robotic wheelchair,” InWorkshop on the Semantics and Pragmatics of Dialogue, p. 163, 2006.
-  M. Buss, D. Carton, B. Gonsior, K. Kühnlenz, C. Landsiedel, N. Mitsou, R. d. Nijs, J. Zlotowski, S. Sosnowski, E. Strasser, M. Tscheligi, A. Weiss, and D. Wollherr, “Towards ProactiveHuman-Robot Interaction in Human Environments,” In Int. Conf. on Cognitive Infocommunications, 2011.
-  E. Schegloff, “On the organization of sequences as a source of ”coherence” in talk-in-interaction,” Conversational organization and its development, Vol.38, pp. 51-77, 1990.
-  K. Dautenhahn, M. Walters, S. Woods, K. Koay, C. Nehaniv, A. Sisbot, R. Alami, and T. Siméon, “How may I serve you?: a robot companion approaching a seated person in a helping context,” In ACM Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 172-179, 2006.
-  M. L. Walters, K. Dautenhahn, S. N. Woods, and K. L. Koay, “Robotic etiquette: results from user studies involving a fetch and carry task,” In ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 317-324, 2007.
-  K. Koay, E. Sisbot, D. Syrdal, M. Walters, K. Dautenhahn, and R. Alami, “Exploratory study of a robot approaching a person in the context of handing over an object,” In AAAI-SS Multi-disciplinary Collaboration for Socially Assistive Robotics, pp. 18-24, 2007.
-  S. Satake, T. Kanda, D. F. Glas, M. Imai, H. Ishiguro, and N. Hagita, “How to approach humans?: strategies for social robots to initiate interaction,” In ACM/IEEE Human-Rob. Interact., pp. 109-116, 2009.
-  E. Hall, “Proxemics,” Current anthropology: a world journal of the sciences of man, 1968.
-  E. Hall, “The hidden dimension,” Vol.6, Doubleday NY, 1966.
-  M. Walters, K. Dautenhahn, S. Woods, K. Koay, R. T. Boekhorst, and D. Lee, “Exploratory studies on social spaces between humans and a mechanical-looking robot,” Connection Sc., Vol.18, No.4, p. 429, 2006.
-  A. Weiss, J. Igelsböck, M. Tscheligi, A. Bauer, K. Kühnlenz, D. Wollherr, and M. Buss, “Robots asking for directions: the willingness of passers-by to support robots,” In ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 23-30, 2010.
-  S. Woods, M. Walters, K. Koay, and K. Dautenhahn, “Comparing human robot interaction scenarios using live and video based methods: towards a novel methodological approach,” In IEEE Int.Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 750-755, 2006.
-  S. Woods, M. Walters, K. Koay, and K. Dautenhahn, “Methodological issues in HRI: A comparison of live and video-based methods in robot to human approach direction trials,” In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 51-58, 2006.
-  B. K. Payne, C. M. Cheng, O. Govorun, and B. D. Stewart, “An inkblot for attitudes: Affect misattribution as implicit measurement,” J. Personality and Social Psych., Vol.89, No.3, pp. 277-293, 2005.
-  J. Złotowski, A. Weiss, and M. Tscheligi, “Navigating in public space: Participants evaluation of a robots approach behavior,” In ACM/IEEE Int. Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, 2012.
-  V. Kulyukin, “On natural language dialogue with assistive robots,” In ACM Conf. on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 164-171, 2006.
-  B. Gonsior, D. Wollherr, and M. Buss, “Towards a Dialog Strategy for Handling Miscommunication in Human-Robot Dialog,” In IEEE Int. Symp. Robot & Human Interactive Comm., pp. 284-289, 2010.
-  B. Gonsior, C. Landsiedel, A. Glaser, D. Wollherr, and M. Buss, “Dialog Strategies for Handling Miscommunication in Task-Related HRI,” In IEEE ISymp. Robot& Human Int. Comm., 2011.
-  H. Shi and T. Tenbrink, “Telling Rolland where to go: HRI dialogues on route navigation,” In WS on Spatial Language and Dialogue, pp. 23-25, 2005.
-  J. Chu-Carroll and B. Carpenter, “Vector-based natural language call routing,” Computational Linguistics, Vol.25, No.3 pp. 361-388, 1999.
-  A. L. Gorin, G. Riccardi, and J. Wright, “How May I Help You?,” Speech Communication, Vol.23, pp. 113-127, 1997.
-  J. Boye and M. Wirén, “Multi-slot semantics for natural-language call routing systems,” InWorkshop on Bridging the Gap: Academic and Industrial Research in Dialog Technologies, pp. 68-75, 2007.
-  D. Wunderlich, “Wie analysiert man Gespräche? Beispiel: Wegauskünfte,” Linguistische Berichte, Vol.53, pp. 41-76, 1978.
-  M. Gabsdil, “Clarification in spoken dialogue systems,” In AAAI Symp. Workshop on Natural Language Generation in Spoken and Written Dialogue, 2003.
-  G. Hirst, S. McRoy, P. Heeman, P. Edmonds, and D. Horton, “Repairing conversational misunderstandings and non-understandings,” Speech Communication, Vol.15, No.3-4, pp. 213-229, 1994.
-  J. F. Kelley, “An empirical methodology for writing user-friendly natural language computer applications,” In ACM SIG-CHI 83 Human Factors in Computing systems, Vol.193-196, 1983.
-  S. Werner, B. Krieg-Brückner, and T. Herrmann, “Modeling Navigational Knowledge by Route Graphs,” In Spatial cognition II, pp. 295-316, 2000.
-  W. F. P. Ekman, “Felt, False and Miserable Smiles,” J. of Nonverbal Behavior, Vol.6, pp. 238-252, 1982.
-  S. Sosnowski, A. Bittermann, K. Kühnlenz, and M. Buss, “Design and Evaluation of Emotion-Display EDDIE,” In Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2006.
-  C. Mayer, S. Sosnowski, B. Radig, and K. Kühnlenz, “Towards robotic facial mimicry: system development and evaluation,” In Int Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, 2010.
-  A. A. Grandey, G. M. Fisk, A. S. Mattila, K. J. Jansen, and L. A. Sideman, “Is service with a smile enough? Authenticity of positive displays during service encounters,” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.96, No.1, pp. 38-55, 2005.
-  N. Bischof, “Untersuchungen zur Systemanalyse der Sozialen Motivation IV: Die Spielarten des Lächelns und das Problem der motivationalen Sollwertanpassung,” Zeitsch. Psychol., Vol.204, pp.1-40, 1996.
-  I. Borutta, S. Sosnowski, K. Kühnlenz, M. Zehetleitner, and N. Bischof, “Generating Artificial Smile Variations Based on a Psychological System-Theoretic Approach,” In IEEE Int. Symp. on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, 2009.
-  B. Gonsior, S. Sosnowski, C. Mayer, J. Blume, B. Radig, D. Wollherr, and K. Kühnlenz, “Improving Aspects of Empathy and Subjective Performance for HRI through Mirroring Facial Expressions,” In IEEE ISymp. Robot & Human Interactive Comm., pp. 60-356, 2011.
-  M. Heerink, B. Krose, V. Evers, and B. Wielinga, “Measuring acceptance of an assistive social robot: a suggested toolkit,” In IEEE ISymp. Robot & Human Interactive Comm., pp. 528-533, 2009.
-  C. Bartneck, D. Kulic, and E. Croft, “Measuring the anthropomorphism, animacy, likeability, perceived intelligence, and perceived safety of robots,” In Workshop on Metrics for Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 37-44, 2008.
-  A. Bauer, B. Gonsior, D. Wollherr, and M. Buss, “Dialog System for Human-Robot Interaction for Asking for Directions,” Computational Linguistics, 2010 (submitted).
-  M. Goebl and G. Färber, “A real-time-capable hard- and software architecture for joint image and knowledge processing in cognitive automobiles,” Intelligent Vehicles Symp., pp. 737-740, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.