A Study on Computational Efficiency and Plasticity in Baldwinian Learning
Shu Liu and Hitoshi Iba
Department of Electrical Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
-  D. Simon, “Biogeography-Based Optimization,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 702-713, 2008.
-  N. K. Bambha, S. S. Bhattacharyya, J. Teich, and E. Zitzler, “Systematic integration of parameterized local search in evolutionary algorithm,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 137-155, 2004.
-  D. E. Goldberg and S. Voessner, “Optimizing global-local search hybrids,” In Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), pp. 220-228, 1999.
-  N. Krasnogor and J. Smith, “A memetic algorithm with selfadaptive local search: TSP as a case study,” In Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO), pp. 987-994, 2000.
-  K. W. C. Ku, M. W. Mak, and W. C. Siu, “A study of the Lamarckian evolution of recurrent neural networks,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 31-42, 2000.
-  Q. Nguyen, Y. Ong, and N. Krasnogor, “A study on the design issues of Memetic Algorithm,” In Proc. of 2007 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 2390-2397, 2007.
-  N. Krasnogor and J. Smith, “A tutorial for competent memetic algorithms: Model, taxonomy, and design issues,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 474-488, 2005.
-  Q. H. Nguyen, Y.-S. Ong, and M. H. Lim, “A Probabilistic Memetic Framework,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 604-623, 2009.
-  N. Noman and H. Iba, “Accelerating differential evolution using an adaptive local search,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, 2008.
-  Y.-S. Ong, M.-H. Lim, N. Zhu, and K.-W. Wong, “Classification of adaptive memetic algorithms: a comparative study,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol.36, No.1, pp. 141-152, 2006.
-  J. M. Baldwin, “A new factor in evolution,” American Naturalist, Vol.30, pp. 441-451, 1896.
-  K. L. Downing, “Development and the Baldwin effect,” Artificial Life, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 39-63, 2004.
-  K. L. Downing, “Computational Explorations of the Baldwin Effect,” In Proc. of the First Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Symposium, pp. 41-52, 2009.
-  K. L. Downing, “The Baldwin Effect in Developing Neural Networks,” In Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, pp. 555-562, 2010.
-  G. Hinton and S. Nowlan, “How learning can guide evolution,” Complex Systems, Vol.1, pp. 495-502, 1987.
-  I. Paenke, T. J. Kawecki, and B. Sendhoff, “The Influence of Learning on Evolution: A Mathematical Framework,” Artificial Life, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 227-245, 2009.
-  R. Suzuki and T. Arita, “The Dynamic Changes in Roles of Learning through the Baldwin effect,” Artificial Life, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 31-43, 2007.
-  P. Turney, “Myths and legends of the Baldwin effect,” In Proc. of theWorkshop on Evolutionary Computing and Machine Learning at the 13th Int. Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML-96), pp. 135-142, 1996.
-  C. G. Carrier, “Unifying learning with evolution through Baldwinian evolution and Lamarckism: A case study,” In in Proc. Symp. Computational Intelligence and Learning (CoIL-2000), pp. 36-41, 2000.
-  K. L. Downing, “Designing neutral networks using genetic algorithms with graph generation system,” Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 259-288, 2001.
-  H. Ishibuchi, S. Kaige, and K. Narukawa, “Comparison between Lamarckian and Baldwinian repair on multiobjective 0/1 knapsack problems,” In Proc. of Third Int. Conf. on Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, EMO 2005, ser., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 370-385, Springer, 2005.
-  S. Kauffman, “The Origin of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution,” Oxford University Press, 1993.
-  G. Mayley, “Landscapes, Learning Costs and Genetic Assimilation,” Evolutionary Computation, Vol.4, pp. 213-234, 1996.
-  T. Sasaki and M. Tokoro, “Evolving Learnable Neural Networks under Changing Environments with Various Rates of Inheritance of Acquired Characters: Comparison between Darwinian and Lamarckian Evolution,” Artificial Life, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 203-223, 1999.
-  D. L. Whitley, V. S. Gordon, and K. E. Mathias, “Lamarckian Evolution, The Baldwin Effect and Function Optimization,” In Proc. of Int. Conf. on Parallel Problem Solving From Nature III (PPSN III), pp. 6-15, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.