Deploying Interactive Mission Planning Tools- Experiences and Lessons Learned -
Amedeo Cesta, Gabriella Cortellessa, Simone Fratini,
Angelo Oddi, and Giulio Bernardi
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione, Via S. Martino della Battaglia 44, I-00185 Rome, Italy
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “An Innovative Product for Space Mission Planning – an a posteriori evaluation,” ICAPS-07. Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Automated Planning and Scheduling, 2007.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, M. Denis, A. Donati, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, N. Policella, E. Rabenau, and J. Schulster, “Continuous Plan Management Support for Space Missions: the RAXEM Case,” PAIS/ECAI-08. Prestigious Applications on Intelligent Systems, Proc. of the 18th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 703-707, 2008.
-  G. Bernardi, A. Cesta, and G. Cortellessa, “Deploying Raxem2: Planning Improvements in Daily Work Practice,” SPARK-09. Scheduling and Planning Applications woRKshop at ICAPS, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2009.
-  A. Cesta and S. Fratini, “The Timeline Representation Framework as a Planning and Scheduling Software Development Environment,” 27th Workshop of the UK Planning and Scheduling Special Interest Group, pp. 17-24, Edinburgh, UK, 2008.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, S. Fratini, and A. Oddi, “MrSPOCK – Steps in Developing an End-to-End Space Application,” Computational Intelligence, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 83-102, 2011.
-  A. Ceballos, S. Bensalem, A. Cesta, L. De Silva, S. Fratini, F. Ingrand, J. Ocon, A. Orlandini, F. Py, K. Rajan, R. Rasconi, and M. Van Winnendael, “A Goal-Oriented Autonomous Controller for Space Exploration,” ASTRA 2011, 11th Symposium on Advanced Space Technologies in Robotics and Automation, 2011.
-  S. Chien, T. Estlin, F. Fisher, and G. Rabideau, “Lessons Learned Deploying Space Planning Systems,” Applied Artificial Intelligence, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 161-187, 2001.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “A CSP-Based Interactive Decision Aid for Space Mission Planning,” AI*IA-03, Vol.2829 of LNAI, pp. 511-522, 2003.
-  A. Oddi, N. Policella, A. Cesta, and G. Cortellessa, “Constraint-Based Random Search for Solving Spacecraft Downlink Scheduling Problems,” G. Kendall, E. Burke, S. Petrovic, and M. Gendreau (Eds.), Multidisciplinary Scheduling: Theory and Applications, pp. 133-162, Springer, 2005.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, M. Denis, A. Donati, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, N. Policella, E. Rabenau, and J. Schulster, “MEXAR2: AI Solves Mission Planner Problems,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.22, No.4, 2007.
-  E. Rabenau, A. Donati, M. Denis, N. Policella, A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, A. Oddi, S. Fratini, and G. Bernardi, “The Raxem Tool on Mars Express – Uplink Planning Optimisation and Scheduling Using AI Constraint Resolution,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, 2009.
-  C. Pralet and G. Verfaillie, “AIMS: A Tool for Long-term Planning of the ESA INTEGRAL Mission,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, Pasadena, CA., 2009.
-  M. Lavagna and F. Castellini, “Advanced Planning and Scheduling Initiative’s XMAS tool: AI for automatic scheduling of XMMNewton long term plan,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, Pasadena, CA., 2009.
-  R. Fikes and N. Nilsson, “STRIPS: A New Approach to the Application of Theorem Proving to Problem Solving,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.2, No.3-4, pp. 189-208, 1971.
-  M. Fox and D. Long, “PDDL 2.1: An Extension to PDDL for Expressing Temporal Planning Domains,” J. of Artificial Intelligence Research, Vol.20, pp. 61-124, 2003.
-  J. Frank, K. Golden, and A. Jonsson, “The Loyal Opposition Comments on Plan Domain Description Langauges,” Proc. of the PDDL Workshop at ICAPS-03, pp. 39-48, 2003.
-  J. Frank and A. Jonsson, “Constraint Based Attribute and Interval Planning,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 339-364, 2003.
-  N. Muscettola, “HSTS: Integrating Planning and Scheduling,” M. Zweben and M. S. Fox (Eds.), Intelligent Scheduling, Morgan Kauffmann, 1994.
-  Europa, “Europa Software Distribution Web Site,” 2008.
-  S. Chien, G. Rabideau, R. Knight, R. Sherwood, B. Engelhardt, D. Mutz, T. Estlin, B. Smith, F. Fisher, T. Barrett, G. Stebbins, and D. Tran, “ASPEN – Automated Planning and Scheduling for Space Mission Operations,” Proc. of SpaceOps’00, 2000.
-  P. Morris and N. Muscettola, “Temporal Dynamic Controllability Revisited,” AAAI, pp. 1193-1198, 2005.
-  P. Morris, N. Muscettola, and T. Vidal, “Dynamic Control Of Plans With Temporal Uncertainty,” IJCAI, pp. 494-502, 2001.
-  A. Cesta, A. Finzi, S. Fratini, A. Orlandini, and E. Tronci, “Analyzing Flexible Timeline-based Plans,” In ECAI-10, Vol.215, pp. 471-476, IOS Press, 2010.
-  P. Conrad, J. Shah, and B. Williams, “Flexible Execution of Plans with Choice,” ICAPS, 2009.
-  I. Tsamardinos, T. Vidal, and M. E. Pollack, “CTP: A New Constraint-Based Formalism for Conditional, Temporal Planning,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 365-388, 2003.
-  N. Policella, A. Cesta, A. Oddi, and S. F. Smith, “Solve-and-Robustify. Synthesizing Partial Order Schedule by Chaining,” J. Scheduling, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 299-314, 2009.
-  R. Rasconi, A. Cesta, and N. Policella, “Validating Scheduling Approaches Against Executional Uncertainty,” J. of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 49-64, 2010.
-  A. Oddi and N. Policella, “Improving Robustness of Spacecraft Downlink Schedules,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part C Applications and Reviews, Vol.37, No.5, 2007.
-  G. Cortellessa, A. Cesta, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “User Interaction with an Automated Solver: The Case of a Mission Planner,” PsychNology Journal, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 140-162, 2004.
-  A. Cesta and A. Oddi, “Gaining Efficiency and Flexibility in the Simple Temporal Problem,” TIME, 1996.
-  L. Planken, M. d. Weerdt, and R. v. d. Krogt, “P3C: A New Algorithm for the Simple Temporal Problem,” ICAPS, pp. 256-263, 2008.
-  S. Smith, G. Cortellessa, D. Hildum, and C. Ohler, “Using a scheduling domain ontology to compute user-oriented explanations,” L. Castillo, D. Borrajo, M. Salido, and A. Oddi (Eds.), Planning, Scheduling, and Constraint Satisfaction: From Theory to Practice, IOS Press, 2004.
-  J. Bresina and P. Morris, “Explanations and Recommendations for Temporal Inconsistencies,” IWPSS-06, Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA, October 22-25, 2006.
-  J. Amilhastre, H. Fargier, and P.Marquis, “Consistency Restoration and Explanations in Dynamic CSPs – Application to Configuration,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.135, No.2002, pp. 199-234, 2002.
-  N. Jussien and V. Barichard, “The PaLM System: Explanationbased Constraint Programming,” Proc. of TRICS: Techniques foR Implementing Constraint programming Systems, a post-conference workshop of CP 2000, pp. 118-133, Singapore, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.