Deploying Interactive Mission Planning Tools- Experiences and Lessons Learned –
Amedeo Cesta, Gabriella Cortellessa, Simone Fratini,
Angelo Oddi, and Giulio Bernardi
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione, Via S. Martino della Battaglia 44, I-00185 Rome, Italy
This article contains a retrospective overview of connected work performed for the European Space Agency (ESA) over a span of 10 years. We have been creating and refining an AI approach to problem solving and have infused a series of deployed planning and scheduling systems which have innovated the agency’s mission planning practice. The goal of this paper is to identify strong features of this experience, comment on general lessons learned and offer guidelines for work practice of the future. Specifically, the work considers some key points that have contributed to strengthening the effectiveness of our approach for the development of an end-to-end methodology to field applications: the attention to domain modeling, the constraint-based algorithm synthesis and the relevance of user interaction services.
Angelo Oddi, and Giulio Bernardi, “Deploying Interactive Mission Planning Tools- Experiences and Lessons Learned –,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.15, No.8, pp. 1149-1158, 2011.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “An Innovative Product for Space Mission Planning – an a posteriori evaluation,” ICAPS-07. Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Automated Planning and Scheduling, 2007.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, M. Denis, A. Donati, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, N. Policella, E. Rabenau, and J. Schulster, “Continuous Plan Management Support for Space Missions: the RAXEM Case,” PAIS/ECAI-08. Prestigious Applications on Intelligent Systems, Proc. of the 18th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 703-707, 2008.
-  G. Bernardi, A. Cesta, and G. Cortellessa, “Deploying Raxem2: Planning Improvements in Daily Work Practice,” SPARK-09. Scheduling and Planning Applications woRKshop at ICAPS, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2009.
-  A. Cesta and S. Fratini, “The Timeline Representation Framework as a Planning and Scheduling Software Development Environment,” 27th Workshop of the UK Planning and Scheduling Special Interest Group, pp. 17-24, Edinburgh, UK, 2008.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, S. Fratini, and A. Oddi, “MrSPOCK – Steps in Developing an End-to-End Space Application,” Computational Intelligence, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 83-102, 2011.
-  A. Ceballos, S. Bensalem, A. Cesta, L. De Silva, S. Fratini, F. Ingrand, J. Ocon, A. Orlandini, F. Py, K. Rajan, R. Rasconi, and M. Van Winnendael, “A Goal-Oriented Autonomous Controller for Space Exploration,” ASTRA 2011, 11th Symposium on Advanced Space Technologies in Robotics and Automation, 2011.
-  S. Chien, T. Estlin, F. Fisher, and G. Rabideau, “Lessons Learned Deploying Space Planning Systems,” Applied Artificial Intelligence, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 161-187, 2001.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “A CSP-Based Interactive Decision Aid for Space Mission Planning,” AI*IA-03, Vol.2829 of LNAI, pp. 511-522, 2003.
-  A. Oddi, N. Policella, A. Cesta, and G. Cortellessa, “Constraint-Based Random Search for Solving Spacecraft Downlink Scheduling Problems,” G. Kendall, E. Burke, S. Petrovic, and M. Gendreau (Eds.), Multidisciplinary Scheduling: Theory and Applications, pp. 133-162, Springer, 2005.
-  A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, M. Denis, A. Donati, S. Fratini, A. Oddi, N. Policella, E. Rabenau, and J. Schulster, “MEXAR2: AI Solves Mission Planner Problems,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.22, No.4, 2007.
-  E. Rabenau, A. Donati, M. Denis, N. Policella, A. Cesta, G. Cortellessa, A. Oddi, S. Fratini, and G. Bernardi, “The Raxem Tool on Mars Express – Uplink Planning Optimisation and Scheduling Using AI Constraint Resolution,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, 2009.
-  C. Pralet and G. Verfaillie, “AIMS: A Tool for Long-term Planning of the ESA INTEGRAL Mission,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, Pasadena, CA., 2009.
-  M. Lavagna and F. Castellini, “Advanced Planning and Scheduling Initiative’s XMAS tool: AI for automatic scheduling of XMMNewton long term plan,” IWPSS-09. Proc. of the 6th Int. Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, Pasadena, CA., 2009.
-  R. Fikes and N. Nilsson, “STRIPS: A New Approach to the Application of Theorem Proving to Problem Solving,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.2, No.3-4, pp. 189-208, 1971.
-  M. Fox and D. Long, “PDDL 2.1: An Extension to PDDL for Expressing Temporal Planning Domains,” J. of Artificial Intelligence Research, Vol.20, pp. 61-124, 2003.
-  J. Frank, K. Golden, and A. Jonsson, “The Loyal Opposition Comments on Plan Domain Description Langauges,” Proc. of the PDDL Workshop at ICAPS-03, pp. 39-48, 2003.
-  J. Frank and A. Jonsson, “Constraint Based Attribute and Interval Planning,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 339-364, 2003.
-  N. Muscettola, “HSTS: Integrating Planning and Scheduling,” M. Zweben and M. S. Fox (Eds.), Intelligent Scheduling, Morgan Kauffmann, 1994.
-  Europa, “Europa Software Distribution Web Site,” 2008.
-  S. Chien, G. Rabideau, R. Knight, R. Sherwood, B. Engelhardt, D. Mutz, T. Estlin, B. Smith, F. Fisher, T. Barrett, G. Stebbins, and D. Tran, “ASPEN – Automated Planning and Scheduling for Space Mission Operations,” Proc. of SpaceOps’00, 2000.
-  P. Morris and N. Muscettola, “Temporal Dynamic Controllability Revisited,” AAAI, pp. 1193-1198, 2005.
-  P. Morris, N. Muscettola, and T. Vidal, “Dynamic Control Of Plans With Temporal Uncertainty,” IJCAI, pp. 494-502, 2001.
-  A. Cesta, A. Finzi, S. Fratini, A. Orlandini, and E. Tronci, “Analyzing Flexible Timeline-based Plans,” In ECAI-10, Vol.215, pp. 471-476, IOS Press, 2010.
-  P. Conrad, J. Shah, and B. Williams, “Flexible Execution of Plans with Choice,” ICAPS, 2009.
-  I. Tsamardinos, T. Vidal, and M. E. Pollack, “CTP: A New Constraint-Based Formalism for Conditional, Temporal Planning,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 365-388, 2003.
-  N. Policella, A. Cesta, A. Oddi, and S. F. Smith, “Solve-and-Robustify. Synthesizing Partial Order Schedule by Chaining,” J. Scheduling, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 299-314, 2009.
-  R. Rasconi, A. Cesta, and N. Policella, “Validating Scheduling Approaches Against Executional Uncertainty,” J. of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 49-64, 2010.
-  A. Oddi and N. Policella, “Improving Robustness of Spacecraft Downlink Schedules,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part C Applications and Reviews, Vol.37, No.5, 2007.
-  G. Cortellessa, A. Cesta, A. Oddi, and N. Policella, “User Interaction with an Automated Solver: The Case of a Mission Planner,” PsychNology Journal, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 140-162, 2004.
-  A. Cesta and A. Oddi, “Gaining Efficiency and Flexibility in the Simple Temporal Problem,” TIME, 1996.
-  L. Planken, M. d. Weerdt, and R. v. d. Krogt, “P3C: A New Algorithm for the Simple Temporal Problem,” ICAPS, pp. 256-263, 2008.
-  S. Smith, G. Cortellessa, D. Hildum, and C. Ohler, “Using a scheduling domain ontology to compute user-oriented explanations,” L. Castillo, D. Borrajo, M. Salido, and A. Oddi (Eds.), Planning, Scheduling, and Constraint Satisfaction: From Theory to Practice, IOS Press, 2004.
-  J. Bresina and P. Morris, “Explanations and Recommendations for Temporal Inconsistencies,” IWPSS-06, Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA, October 22-25, 2006.
-  J. Amilhastre, H. Fargier, and P.Marquis, “Consistency Restoration and Explanations in Dynamic CSPs – Application to Configuration,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.135, No.2002, pp. 199-234, 2002.
-  N. Jussien and V. Barichard, “The PaLM System: Explanationbased Constraint Programming,” Proc. of TRICS: Techniques foR Implementing Constraint programming Systems, a post-conference workshop of CP 2000, pp. 118-133, Singapore, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.