Solving the Binding Problem with Separated Extraction of Information by Oscillatory Self-Organizing Maps
Ryota Miyata* and Koji Kurata**
*Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259-G5-17, Nagatsuta-cho, Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8502, Japan
**Faculty of Engineering, University of the Ryukyus, 1 Senbaru, Nishihara, Nakagami, Okinawa 903-0213, Japan
-  C. von der Malsburg, “The correlation theory of brain function,” Internal Report, pp. 1-26, 1981.
-  C. von der Malsburg, “Binding in models of perception and brain function,” Neurobiology, pp. 520-526, 1995.
-  R. Eckhorn, R. Bauer, W. Jordan, M. Brosch, W. Kruse, M. Munk, and H. J. Reiboeck, “Coherent oscillations: a mechanism of feature linking in the visual cortex?,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.60, pp. 121-130, 1988.
-  C. M. Gray, P. Konig, A. K. Engel, and W. Singer, “Oscillatory responses in cat visual cortex exhibit intercolumnar synchronization which reflects global stimulus properties,” Nature, 388, pp. 334-337, 1989.
-  A. K. Engel, P. Konig, A. K. Kreiter, and W. Singer, “Interhemispheric synchronization of oscillatory neuronal responses in cat visual cortex,” Science, Vol.252, pp. 1177-1179, 1991.
-  A. K. Engel, P. Konig, A. K. Kreiter, and W. Singer, “Temporal coding in the visual cortex: new vistas on integration in the nervous system,” Trends Neuroscience, Vol.15, pp. 218-226, 1992.
-  W. Singer, “Time as coding space in neocortical processing,” in “Temporal coding in the brain,” Springer-Verlag, pp. 51-79, 1994.
-  T. Kohonen, “Self-Organized Formation of Topology Correct Feature Maps,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.43, pp. 59-69, 1982.
-  T. Kohonen, “Self-Organizing Maps,” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, NewYork, 1995.
-  D. O. Hebb, “The organization of behavior,” New York: Wiley & Sons, 1949.
-  J. Shirakura and K. Kurata, “Nonlinear Principal Component Analysis by Learning Nerve Fields United by Inhibitory Connections,” The Transactions of the IEICE, Vol.J84-D-II, No.3, pp. 549-558, 2001.
-  M. Mitsutake, K. Kida, K. Wada, and K. Kurata, “Separate Extraction of Two Kind of Information by Self-Organizing-overlapping-Map (in Japanese),” The Brain & Neural Networks Vol.6, No.4, pp. 196-202, 1999.
-  M. Watanabe, K. Nakanishi, and K. Aihara, “Solving the Binding Problem of the Brain with Bi-Directional Functional Connectivity,” Neural Networks, Vol.14, pp. 395-406, 2001.
-  A. R. Damasio, “The brain binds entities and events by multiregional activation from convergence zones,” Neural Computation, Vol.1, pp. 123-132, 1989.
-  F. C. Hoppensteadt and J. P. Keener, “Phase-Locking of Biological Clocks,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 339-349, 1982.
-  J. T. Stuart, “On the nonlinear mechanics of wave disturbances in stable and unstable parallel flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.9, pp. 353-370, 1960.
-  R.Miyata and K. Kurata, “Properties of localized oscillatory excitation on the non-linear oscillatory field,” to appear in Journal of Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.16, 2011.
-  P. Foldiak, “Learning Invariance from transformation sequences,” Neural Computation, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 194-200, 1991.
-  T. Nagano and K. Kurata, “A self-organizing neural network model for the development of complex cells,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.40, pp.195-200, 1981.
-  P. Foldiak, “Forming sparse representations by local anti-Hebbian learning,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.64, pp. 165-170, 1990.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.