Spiral Dynamics Inspired Optimization
Kenichi Tamura and Keiichiro Yasuda
Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1-1 Minamiosawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
We recently proposed a new multipoint search method for 2-dimensional continuous optimization problems based on an analogy of spiral phenomena called 2-dimensional spiral optimization. Focused spiral phenomena, which appear frequently in nature, are approximated to logarithmic spirals. Two-dimensional spiral optimization used a feature of logarithmic spirals. In this paper, we propose n-dimensional spiral optimization by extending the 2-dimensional one. The n-dimensional spiral model is constructed based on rotation matrices defined in n-dimensional space. Simulation results for different benchmark problems show the effectiveness of our proposal compared to other metaheuristics.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  R. C. Eberhart and J. Kennedy, “A New Optimizer Using Swarm Theory,” Proc. of the sixth Int. Symposium on Micromachine and Human Science, pp. 39-43, 1995.
-  A. Colorni, M. Dorigo, and V.Maniezzo, “Distributed Optimization by Ant Colonies,” Proc. First European Conference on Artificial Life, pp. 134-142, 1992.
-  M. Dorigo and T. Stutzle, “Ant Colony Optimization,” The MIT Press, 2004.
-  K. Tamura and K. Yasuda, “Primary Study of Spiral Dynamics Inspired Optimization,” IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol.6, No.S1, pp. S98-S100, 2011.
-  E. Aiyoshi and K. Yasuda, “Metaheuristics and Their Applications,” Ohmsha, 2007.
-  I. Takada, “On Rotations and Orthogonal Projections in n-Dimensional Euclidean Space,” Journal of Graphic Science of Japan, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 33-43, 1999.
-  Y. Shi, “Particle Swarm Optimization,” IEEE Connections 2004, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 8-13, 2004.
-  M. Clerc and J. Kennedy, “The Particle Swarm – Explosion, Stability, and Convergence in aMultidimensional Complex Space,” IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol.6, No.1, pp. 58-73, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.