Analysis of Driver Perceptions and Behavior When Driving in an Unfamiliar Traffic Regulation
Hidetoshi Nakayasu*1, Tetsuya Miyoshi*2, Nobuhiko Kondo*3,
Hirokazu Aoki*4, and Patrick Patterson*5
*1Faculty of Intelligence and Informatics, Konan University, 8-9-1 Okamoto Higashinada, Kobe, Hyogo 658-8501, Japan
*2Faculty of Business and Informatics, Toyohashi Sozo University, 20-1 Matsushita, Ushikawa, Toyohashi, Aichi 440-8511, Japan
*3Otemae University, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8552, Japan
*4Hitachi, Ltd. Information & Telecommuniction System Company, Shinsuna Plaze 6-27, Shinsuna 1, Koto-ku, Tokyo 136-8632, Japan
*5Department of Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University, 201 Industrial Engineering Building, Lubbock, TX, USA
-  “What Sort of Human Errors Cause Traffic Accidents? –Focus on Mistake Assumption–,” Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis (ITARDA) Information, No.33, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Nojiri, T. Kohda, and K. Inoue, “Cognitive Mechanism and Human Error Analysis,” Trans. of the Reliability Engineering Association of Japan, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 157-166, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  J. Reason, “Human Error,” p. 56, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
-  J. Rasmussen, “Skills, Rules, and Knowledge,” Signs and Symbols, and Other Distinctions in Human Performance Model, IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, SMC-13, Vol.3, pp. 257-266, 1983.
-  D. A. Norman, “The Psychology of Everyday Things,” Basic Books, pp. 169-186, 1988.
-  Honda Motor Co., Ltd. “Honda Driving Simulator.” Honda Home Page. (online), available from
http://www.honda.co.jp/simulator/driving/shogen.html, (accessed 2009-05-06).
-  SR Research Ltd. “EyeLink II.” SR Research Complete Eye Tracking Solutions. (online), available from
http://www.sr-research.com/EL_II.html, (accessed 2009-05-06).
-  The Vision Society of Japan (Eds.), “Handbook of visual information process,” pp. 393-398, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  “Handbook of visual information process,”pp. 91-92, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  S. K. Card, T. P. Moran, and A. Newell, “The Psychology of Human-Computer Interaction,” Lawrence Erlbaum Associatespp, pp. 23-97, 1983.
-  H. Nakayasu, H. Aoki, T. Miyoshi, and P. Patterson, “Concurrent Study on Perception and Behavior of Driver in Simulated Driving,” Proc. The IADIS Interfaces and Numan Vomputer Interaction 2011, 2011.
-  “Psychology and Physiology of Human Error,” H. Yoshikawa (Ed.) CORONA Publishing Co. Ltd., pp. 96, 2006. (in Japanese)
-  T. Hamada, JM. Flandrin, N. Furuya, “Latent defect in monocular optokinetic nystagmus after neonatal removal of the lateral suprasylvian area in the cat,” Behavioral Brain Research, Vol.27, pp. 109-114, 1988.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.