A Fuzzy Multiobjective Particle Swarm Optimized TS Fuzzy Logic Congestion Controller for Wireless Local Area Networks
Clement N. Nyirenda*, Dawoud S. Dawoud**, Fangyan Dong*,
Michael Negnevitsky***, and Kaoru Hirota*
*Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology, G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
**School of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, University of KwaZulu-Natal, King George V Avenue, Durban 4041, South Africa
***School of Engineering, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 65, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
A Takagi-Sugeno Fuzzy Logic Congestion Detection (TSFLCD) mechanism is proposed for IEEE 802.11 wireless Local Area Networks. A Fuzzy Preference based Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization (FPMOPSO) mechanism, for tuning the input membership functions and the output scalars, is also proposed. An online adaptation mechanism that finetunes the output scalars based on system dynamics is implemented. Compared to the Adaptive Random Early Detection (ARED) and the Mamdani inference based Fuzzy Logic Congestion Detection (FLCD) mechanisms, simulation results show that the TSFLCD mechanism leads to more than 40% reduction in packet loss rate. It also leads to more than 25% and up to 14% reductions in jitter and delay respectively for real time traffic. This work lays a foundation for the development of simple multiobjective fuzzy congestion controllers in wireless LANs.
-  E. H. Mamdani and S. Assilian, “An experiment in linguistic synthesis with a fuzzy logic controller,” Int. J. ofMan-Machine Studies, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 1-13, 1975.
-  F. Ren, R. Yong, and S. Xiuming, “Design of a fuzzy controller for active queue management,” Computer Communications, Vol.25, pp. 874-883, 2002.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimization for Fuzzy Logic Based Active Queue Management,” Proc. of the 15th IEEE Int. Conf. in Fuzzy Systems, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 2231-2238, July 16-21, 2006.
-  Y. H. Aoul, A. Mehaoua, and C. Skianis, “A fuzzy logic-based AQMfor realtime traffic over Internet,” Computer networks, Vol.51, No.16, pp. 4617-4633, November 2007.
-  C. Chrysostomou, A. Pitsillides, and A. Sekercioglu, “Fuzzy Explicit Marking: A Unified Congestion Controller for Best-effort and Diff-serv Networks,” Computer Networks J. (COMNET), Vol.53, No.5, pp. 650-667, April 9, 2009.
-  S. Floyd and V. Jacobson, “Random early detection gateways for congestion avoidance,” IEEE/ACM Trans. in Networking, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 397-413, August 1993.
-  S. Floyd, R. Gummadi, and S. Shenker, “Adaptive RED: An Algorithm for increasing the robustness of RED’s Active Queue Management,” Technical report ICSI, August 2001.
-  C. V. Jollot et al., “On designing improved controllers for AQM routers supporting TCP flows,” In Proc. Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, Vol.3, pp. 1726-1734, April 2001.
-  S. Athuraliya, V. H. Li, S. H. Low, and Q. Yin, “REM: Active Queue Management,” IEEE Network Magazine, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 48-53, May 2001.
-  M. Spott, K. Leiviska, and T. Martin, “Roadmap Contribution IBA C Applications in Telecommunications, Multimedia and Services,” European Network on Intelligent Technologies (EUNITE) for Smart Adaptive Systems (SAS), July 2004.
-  M. Kappes and S. Garg, “An Experimental Study of Throughput for UDP and VoIP Traffic in IEEE 802.11b Networks,” In Proc. of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, March 2003.
-  S. Yi et al., “Proxy-RED: An AQM scheme for wireless Local Area Networks,” Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing J., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 421-434, May 2008.
-  G. Pibiri, C. Mc Goldrick, and M. Huggard, “Using active queue management to enhance performance in IEEE802.11,” Proc. of the 5th ACM Int. Workshop on Wireless Multimedia Networking and Computing, Tenerife, Spain, pp. 70-77, October 26-30, 2009.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Fuzzy Logic Congestion Control in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks: A Performance Evaluation,” Proc. of the IEEE AFRICON 2007, Windhoek, Namibia, pp. 1-7, September 26-29, 2007.
-  G. T. Pulido and C. A. Coello Coello, “Using Clustering Techniques to Improve the Performance of a Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimizer,” Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.3102, pp. 700-712, Seattle, Washington, USA, June 2004.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Self-Organization in a Particle Swarm Optimized Fuzzy Logic Congestion Detection Mechanism for IP Networks,” Scientia Iranica, Int. J. of Science and Technology, December 2008.
-  T. Takagi and M. Sugeno, “Fuzzy identification of systems and its applications to modeling and control,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.15, pp. 116-132, 1985.
-  R. Alcala, P. Ducange, F. Herrera, B. Lazzerini, and F. Marcelloni, “A Multi-Objective Evolutionary Approach to Concurrently Learn Rule and Data Bases of Linguistic Fuzzy Rule-Based Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 1106-1122, 2009.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “A fuzzy set theoretic interpretation of linguistic hedges,” J. of Cybernetics 2, No.3, pp. 4-34, 1972.
-  A. Chatterjee and P. Siarry, “A PSO-aided neuro-fuzzy classifier employing linguistic hedge concepts,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 1097-1109, 2007.
-  H. J. Zimmermann, “Description and optimization of fuzzy systems,” Int. J. of General Systems, Vol.2, pp. 209-212, 1976.
-  R. Bellman and L. A. Zadeh, “Decision Making in Fuzzy Environment,” Management Science, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 141-164, 1970.
-  NS2 network simulator,
Accessed on March 12, 2010.
-  H. Pomares, I. Rojas, J. Gonzalez, M. Damas, B. Pino, and A. Prieto, “Online Global Learning in Direct Fuzzy Controllers,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.2, April 2004.
-  R. Pan, B. Prabhakar, and K. Psounis, “Choke – a stateless active queue management scheme for approximating fair bandwidth,” In Proc. INFOCOM, pp. 942-951, March 2000.
-  C. A. Coello Coello and G. B. Lamont, “Applications of Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithms,” World Scientific, Singapore, 2004.
-  T. Marler, and J. S. Arora, “Multi-Objective Optimization: Concepts and Methods for Engineering,” VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany, 2009
-  R. R. Yager, “Fuzzy Decision Making including unequal objectives,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 87-95, 1978.
-  U. Kaymak and J. M. C. Sousa, “Weighted constraint aggregation in fuzzy optimization,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 61-78, 2003.
-  C. A. Coello Coello, G. T. Pulido, and M. A. Lechunga, “Handling Multiple Objectives With Particle Swarm Optimization,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 256-279, June 2004.
-  J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” In Proc. IEEE ICNN, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  S. A. Khan and A. P. Engelbrecht, “Fuzzy Hybrid Simulated Annealing Algorithms for Topology Design of Switched Local Area Networks,” Soft Computing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 45-61, 2009.
-  M. Clerc, “Stagnation analysis in particle swarm optimization or what happens when nothing happens,” Department of Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.