A Fuzzy Multiobjective Particle Swarm Optimized TS Fuzzy Logic Congestion Controller for Wireless Local Area Networks
Clement N. Nyirenda*, Dawoud S. Dawoud**, Fangyan Dong*,
Michael Negnevitsky***, and Kaoru Hirota*
*Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology, G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
**School of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, University of KwaZulu-Natal, King George V Avenue, Durban 4041, South Africa
***School of Engineering, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 65, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
-  E. H. Mamdani and S. Assilian, “An experiment in linguistic synthesis with a fuzzy logic controller,” Int. J. ofMan-Machine Studies, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 1-13, 1975.
-  F. Ren, R. Yong, and S. Xiuming, “Design of a fuzzy controller for active queue management,” Computer Communications, Vol.25, pp. 874-883, 2002.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimization for Fuzzy Logic Based Active Queue Management,” Proc. of the 15th IEEE Int. Conf. in Fuzzy Systems, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 2231-2238, July 16-21, 2006.
-  Y. H. Aoul, A. Mehaoua, and C. Skianis, “A fuzzy logic-based AQMfor realtime traffic over Internet,” Computer networks, Vol.51, No.16, pp. 4617-4633, November 2007.
-  C. Chrysostomou, A. Pitsillides, and A. Sekercioglu, “Fuzzy Explicit Marking: A Unified Congestion Controller for Best-effort and Diff-serv Networks,” Computer Networks J. (COMNET), Vol.53, No.5, pp. 650-667, April 9, 2009.
-  S. Floyd and V. Jacobson, “Random early detection gateways for congestion avoidance,” IEEE/ACM Trans. in Networking, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 397-413, August 1993.
-  S. Floyd, R. Gummadi, and S. Shenker, “Adaptive RED: An Algorithm for increasing the robustness of RED’s Active Queue Management,” Technical report ICSI, August 2001.
-  C. V. Jollot et al., “On designing improved controllers for AQM routers supporting TCP flows,” In Proc. Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, Vol.3, pp. 1726-1734, April 2001.
-  S. Athuraliya, V. H. Li, S. H. Low, and Q. Yin, “REM: Active Queue Management,” IEEE Network Magazine, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 48-53, May 2001.
-  M. Spott, K. Leiviska, and T. Martin, “Roadmap Contribution IBA C Applications in Telecommunications, Multimedia and Services,” European Network on Intelligent Technologies (EUNITE) for Smart Adaptive Systems (SAS), July 2004.
-  M. Kappes and S. Garg, “An Experimental Study of Throughput for UDP and VoIP Traffic in IEEE 802.11b Networks,” In Proc. of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, March 2003.
-  S. Yi et al., “Proxy-RED: An AQM scheme for wireless Local Area Networks,” Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing J., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 421-434, May 2008.
-  G. Pibiri, C. Mc Goldrick, and M. Huggard, “Using active queue management to enhance performance in IEEE802.11,” Proc. of the 5th ACM Int. Workshop on Wireless Multimedia Networking and Computing, Tenerife, Spain, pp. 70-77, October 26-30, 2009.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Fuzzy Logic Congestion Control in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks: A Performance Evaluation,” Proc. of the IEEE AFRICON 2007, Windhoek, Namibia, pp. 1-7, September 26-29, 2007.
-  G. T. Pulido and C. A. Coello Coello, “Using Clustering Techniques to Improve the Performance of a Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimizer,” Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.3102, pp. 700-712, Seattle, Washington, USA, June 2004.
-  C. N. Nyirenda and D. S. Dawoud, “Self-Organization in a Particle Swarm Optimized Fuzzy Logic Congestion Detection Mechanism for IP Networks,” Scientia Iranica, Int. J. of Science and Technology, December 2008.
-  T. Takagi and M. Sugeno, “Fuzzy identification of systems and its applications to modeling and control,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.15, pp. 116-132, 1985.
-  R. Alcala, P. Ducange, F. Herrera, B. Lazzerini, and F. Marcelloni, “A Multi-Objective Evolutionary Approach to Concurrently Learn Rule and Data Bases of Linguistic Fuzzy Rule-Based Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.17, No.5, pp. 1106-1122, 2009.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “A fuzzy set theoretic interpretation of linguistic hedges,” J. of Cybernetics 2, No.3, pp. 4-34, 1972.
-  A. Chatterjee and P. Siarry, “A PSO-aided neuro-fuzzy classifier employing linguistic hedge concepts,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 1097-1109, 2007.
-  H. J. Zimmermann, “Description and optimization of fuzzy systems,” Int. J. of General Systems, Vol.2, pp. 209-212, 1976.
-  R. Bellman and L. A. Zadeh, “Decision Making in Fuzzy Environment,” Management Science, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 141-164, 1970.
-  NS2 network simulator,
Accessed on March 12, 2010.
-  H. Pomares, I. Rojas, J. Gonzalez, M. Damas, B. Pino, and A. Prieto, “Online Global Learning in Direct Fuzzy Controllers,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.2, April 2004.
-  R. Pan, B. Prabhakar, and K. Psounis, “Choke – a stateless active queue management scheme for approximating fair bandwidth,” In Proc. INFOCOM, pp. 942-951, March 2000.
-  C. A. Coello Coello and G. B. Lamont, “Applications of Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithms,” World Scientific, Singapore, 2004.
-  T. Marler, and J. S. Arora, “Multi-Objective Optimization: Concepts and Methods for Engineering,” VDM Verlag, Saarbrucken, Germany, 2009
-  R. R. Yager, “Fuzzy Decision Making including unequal objectives,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 87-95, 1978.
-  U. Kaymak and J. M. C. Sousa, “Weighted constraint aggregation in fuzzy optimization,” Constraints, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 61-78, 2003.
-  C. A. Coello Coello, G. T. Pulido, and M. A. Lechunga, “Handling Multiple Objectives With Particle Swarm Optimization,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 256-279, June 2004.
-  J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” In Proc. IEEE ICNN, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  S. A. Khan and A. P. Engelbrecht, “Fuzzy Hybrid Simulated Annealing Algorithms for Topology Design of Switched Local Area Networks,” Soft Computing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 45-61, 2009.
-  M. Clerc, “Stagnation analysis in particle swarm optimization or what happens when nothing happens,” Department of Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, UK, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.