Interactive Learning of Verbal Descriptors Meanings for Face Drawing System
Hafida Benhidour and Takehisa Onisawa
Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305-8573, Japan
This paper presents an approach for online learning of descriptors meanings in the Face Drawing System with verbal descriptors. The targeted descriptors are those describing the size of the facial features. The users of the system have the possibility to draw faces using linguistic terms and retouch the features of the drawn face using a combination of an adverb and a linguistic descriptor until the desired face is obtained. The system learns interactively the meanings of the terms from the retouches made by the user on the drawn face. For the current user, the system interactively learns the meanings of the descriptors using the proposed algorithm for online learning of Gaussian fuzzy sets approach based on the Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) of Gaussian mixture. The system then adjusts the drawn face according to the new meaning of the descriptors.
-  H. Wang and K. Wang, “Facial feature extraction and image-based face drawing,” 6th Int. Conf. on Signal Processing, Vol.1, pp. 699-702, 2002.
-  H. Chen, Y.-Q. Xu, H.-Y. Shum, S.-C. Zhu, and N.-N. Zheng, “Example-based Facial Sketch Generation with Non-parametric Sampling,” Int. Conf. on Computer Vision 2001 (ICCV’2001), pp. 433-438, 2001.
-  P. Y. Chiang, W. H. Liao, and T. Y. Li, “Automatic caricature generation by analyzing facial features” Proc. of Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV), Jeju Island, Korea, 2004.
-  H. Chen, Z. Liu, C. Rose, Y. Xu, H.-Y. Shum, and D. Salesin, “Example-based composite sketching of human portraits,” NPAR 04: Proc. of the 3rd Int. symposium on Non-photorealistic animation and rendering, pp. 95-153, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
-  Y. Hirasawa and T. Onisawa, “Facial caricature drawing considering user’s image of facial features,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems, Tsukuba, Japan, 2002.
-  Y. Hirasawa and T. Onisawa, “Facial caricature drawing using subjective image of a face obtained by words,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.1, pp. 45-50, Budapest, Hungary, 2004.
-  T. Fujiwara, M. Tominaga, K.Murakami, and H. Koshimizu, “Web-PICASSO: Internet Implementation of Facial Caricature System PICASSO,” Proc. of the Third Int. Conf. on Advances in Multimodal Interfaces, pp. 151-159, Springer-Verlag, 2000.
-  H. Koshimizu, M. Tominaga, T. Fujiwara, and K. Murakami, “On KANSEI facial image processing for computerized facial caricaturing system PICASSO,” IEEE Proc. of Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.6, pp. 294-299, 1999.
-  L. Liang, H. Chen, Y.-Q. Xu, and H.-Y. Shum, “Example-Based Caricature Generation with Exaggeration,” PG ’02: Proc. of the 10th Pacific Conf. on Computer Graphics and Applications, p. 386, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
-  A. Pujol, J. J. Villanueva, and H. Wechsler, “Automatic view based caricaturing,” Proc. of 15th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Vol.1, pp. 1072-1075, 2000.
-  S. Iwashita, Y. Takeda, T. Onisawa, and M. Sugeno, “Addition of Facial Expressions to Facial Caricature Drawn Using Linguistic Expressions,” Proc. of the 10th IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE’01), pp. 736-739, Australia, 2001.
-  S. Iwashita, Y. Takeda, and T. Onisawa, “Expressive Facial Caricature Drawing,” Proc. of the 8th IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE’99), Vol.3, pp. 1597-1602, Seoul, Korea, 1999.
-  S. Iwashita and T. Onisawa, “Facial Caricature Drawing with Personal Impressions,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Soft Computing (IIZUKA’98), pp. 209-212, Kyushu Institute of Technology, 1998.
-  S. Iwashita and T. Onisawa, “A Study on Facial Caricature Drawing by Fuzzy Theory,” Proc. of the 6th IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE’97), pp. 933-938, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, July 1997.
-  T. Onisawa, “Soft computing in human centered systems thinking,” Lecture notes in computer science, Vol.3558 pp. 36-46, 2005.
-  J. Nishino, M. Yamamoto, H. Shirai, T. Odaka, and H. Ogura, “Fuzzy linguistic facial caricature drawing system,” Proc. of the second Int. Conf. on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Electronic Systems (KES), Vol.2, pp. 15-20, 1998.
-  H. Benhidour and T. Onisawa, “Interactive Face Generation from Verbal Description Using Conceptual Fuzzy Sets,” J. ofMultimedia, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 52-59, 2008.
-  L. Farkas, “Anthropometry of the Head and Face,” Raven Press, 1994.
-  A. Imura, T. Takagi, and T. Yamaguchi, “Intention Recognition using Conceptual Fuzzy Sets,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems FUZZ-IEEE’93, Vol.2, pp. 762-767, 1993.
-  T. Takagi, T. Yamaguchi, and M. Sugeno, “Conceptual Fuzzy Sets,” Int. Fuzzy Engineering Symposium IFES 91, Vol.2, pp. 261-272, 1991.
-  T. Terano, M. Sugeno, M. Mukaido, and K. Shigemasu “Fuzzy Engineering Toward Human Friendly Systems,” IOS Press, 1992.
-  B. Kosko, “Bidirectional Associative Memories,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 49-60, 1988.
-  C. M. Bishop, “Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition,” Oxford University Press, 1995.
-  R. O. Duda, P. E. Hart, and D. G. Stork, “Pattern Classification (2nd Edition),” Wiley-Interscience, November 2000.
-  J. C. Bezdek, M. R. Pal, J. Keller, and R. Krisnapuram, “Fuzzy Models and Algorithms for Pattern Recognition and Image Processing,” Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, USA, 1999.
-  D. S. Moore and G. P. McCabe, “Introduction to the practice of statistics,” Freeman, 1993.
-  V. Franc and V. Hlavac, “Statistical Pattern Recognition Toolbox for Matlab, user’s guide,” No.8, Czech Technical University, 2004.
-  F. Wilcoxon, “Individual Comparisons by Ranking Methods,” Biometrics Bulletin, Vol.1, No.6, pp. 80-83, 1945.
-  G. W. Corder and D. I. Foreman, “Nonparametric Statistics for Non-Statisticians: A Step-by-Step Approach,” Wiley, 2009.
-  P. C. Mahalanobis, “On the generalised distance in statistics,” Proc. of the National Institute of Sciences of India, 1936.