Integrating Process and Work Breakdown Structure with Design Structure Matrix
Jonathan Lee*, Whan-Yo Deng*, Wen-Tin Lee*,
Shin-Jie Lee*, Kuo-Hsun Hsu**, and Shang-Pin Ma***
*Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Central University, Jhongli, Taiwan
**Department of Computer and Information Science, National Taichung University, Taichung, Taiwan
***Department of Computer Science and Engineering, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
-  “Work Breakdown Structure “WBS”,”
-  Booz, Allen, and Hamilton, “Earned Value Management Tutorial Module 2, Work Breakdown Structure,” Office of Project Assessment, 2008.
-  NASA 2001, “NASA NPR 9501.2D.,” May 23, 2001.
-  R. A. Radice, N. K. Roth, A. C. O’Hara, Jr., and W. A. Ciarfella, “A Programming Process Architecture,” j-IBM-SYS-J, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 79-90, 1985.
-  D. V. Steward, “The Design Structure System, A Method for Managing the Design of Complex Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Engineering Management, Vol.28, pp. 71-74, 1981.
-  T. R. Browning, “Applying the Design Structure Matrix to System Decomposition and Integration Problems: A Review and New Directions,” IEEE Trans. on Engineering Management, Vol.48, No.3, pp. 292-306, 2001.
-  T. R. Browning and S. D. Eppinger, “Modeling Impacts of Process Architecture on Cost and Schedule Risk in Product Development,” IEEE Trans. on Engineering Management, Vol.49, No.4, pp. 428-442, 2002.
-  A. A. Yassine, D. E. Whiteny, and T. Zambito, “Assessment of Rework Probabilities for Simulating Product Development Processes Using the Design Structure Matrix,” Proc. of the DETC 01: ASME 2001 Int. Design Engineering Technical Conf., Pittsburgh PA, 2001.
-  “XML Process Definition Language “XPDL”,” http://www.wfmc.org/xpdl.html/
-  J. Lee and Y.-Y. Fanjiang, “Modeling Imprecise Requirements with XML,” Information and Software Technology, Vol.45, No.7, pp. 445-460, 2003.
-  J. Lee and K.-H. Hsu, “Modeling Software Architectures with Goals in Virtual University Environment,” Information and Software Technology, Vol.44, No.6, pp. 361-380, 2002.
-  J. Lee, C.-L. Wu, W.-T. Lee, and K.-H. Hsu, “Aspect-Enhanced Goal-Driven Sequence Diagram,” Int. J. of Intelligent Systems, Vol.25, pp. 712-732, 2010.
-  J. Lee and N.-L. Xue, “Analyzing User Requirements by Use Cases, A Goal-Driven Approach,” IEEE Software, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 92-101, 1999.
-  J. Lee, N.-L. Xue and J.-Y. Kuo, “Structuring Requirements Specifications with Goals,” Information and Software Technology, Vol.43, No.2, pp. 121-135, 2001.
-  W.-T. Lee, W.-Y. Deng, J. Lee, and S.-J. Lee, “Change Impact Analysis with a Goal-Driven Traceability-Based Approach,” Int. J. of Intelligent Systems, Vol.25, pp. 878-908, 2010.
-  G. T. Haugan, “Effective Work Breakdown Structures,” Management Concepts, 2001.
-  D. V. Steward, “Partitioning and Tearing Systems of Equations,” J. of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Series B, Numerical Analysis, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 345-365, 1965.
-  “Application of the Analytical Design Planning Technique to Construction Project Management,” Project Manage. J., Vol.31, pp. 48-59, 2000.
-  S. Austin, A. Baldwin, B. Li, and P. Waskett, “Development of the ADePT Methodology: An Interim Report on the Link IDAC 100 Project,” Loughborough University, Dept. of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough, U. K., 1998.
-  S. Austin, A. Baldwin, and A. Newton, “A Data Flow Model to Plan and Manage the Building Design Process,” J. Eng. Des., Vol.7, pp. 3-25, 1996.
-  P. Huovila, L. Koskela, L. Pietilainen, and V.-P. Tanhuanpaa, “Use of the Design Structure Matrix in Construction,” In 3rd Int. Workshop on Lean Construction, Albuquerque, NM, 1995.
-  K. Kahkonen, V.-P. Tanhuanpaa, and S. Leino, “Design Process Analysis, Optimization and Management, XA Practical Tool for the Construction and Engineering Projects,” VTT Building Technology, Finland, 1997.
-  L. Koskela, G. Ballard, and V.-P. Tanhuanpaa, “Toward Lean Design Management,” In 5th Annu. Conf. of the International Group for Lean Construction “IGLC-5,” 1997.
-  “Innovation at the speed of information,” In Harvard Bus. Rev., Vol.79, pp. 149-V158, 2001.
-  S. M. Osborne, “Product Development Cycle Time Characterization Through Modeling of Process Iteration,” M.S. thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1993.
-  J. Malmstrom, P. Pikosz, and J. Malmqvist, “The Complementary Roles of IDEF0 and DSM for the Modeling of Information Management Processes,” Concurrent Eng.: Res. Applicat., Vol.7, pp. 95-V103, 1999.
-  G. J. Rushton and A. Zakarian, “Modular Vehicle Architectures, A Systems Approach,” In 10th Annu. Int. Symp. of INCOSE, Minneapolis, MN, 2000, pp. 29-35, 2000.
-  M. W. Sequeira, “Use of the Design Structure Matrix in the Improvement of an Automobile Development Process,” M.S. thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1991.
-  P. J. Clarkson and J. R. Hamilton, “‘Signposting’: A Parameter-Driven Task-Based Model of the Design Process,” Res. Eng. Des., Vol. 12, pp. 18-38, 2000.
-  M. L. Danilovic, “Leadership and Organization of Integration in Product Development,” Ph.D. dissertation, Linkopings Universitet, Linkoping, Sweden, 1999.
-  B. J. Makins and D. W. Miller, “Web-Based Aerospace System Evaluation Software: The Development and Assessment of Conceptual Space Missions,” In Proc. 10th Annu. Int. Symp. of INCOSE, Minneapolis, MN, 2000, pp. 167-174, 2000.
-  M. Nour and J. Scanlan, “Modeling and Simulating Product Development Process,” In Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Concurrent Enterprising, Toulouse, France, 2000, pp. 111-118, 2000.
-  R. H. Ahmadi, T. A. Roemer, and R. H. Wang, “Structuring Product Development Processes,” Eur. J. Oper. Res., Vol.130, pp. 539-558, 2001.
-  R. D. Pinkett, “Product Development Process Modeling and Analysis Digital Wireless Telephones,” S. M. thesis, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 1998.
-  M. Carrascosa, S. D. Eppinger, and D. E. Whitney, “Using the Design Structure Matrix to Estimate Product Development Time,” In Proc. ASME Des. Eng. Tech. Conf., “Design Automation Conf.,” Atlanta, GA, 1998.
-  C. Bussler, “Workflow Instance Scheduling with Project Management Tools,” 9th Int. Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications “DEXA’98,” p. 753, 1998.
-  M. Gnatz, M. Deubler, M. Meisinger, and A. Rausch, “Towards an Integration of Process Modeling and Project Planning,” 5th Int. Workshop on Software Process Simulation and Modeling “ProSim 2004,” pp. 22-31, 2004.
-  L. M. L. Chung and K. C. C. Chan, “Integrating Project Planning and Process Modeling for Software Development,” IEEE Workshop on Application-Specific Software Engineering and Technology, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, 1999, p. 276, 1999,
-  A. Thibault, A. Siadat, R. Bigot, and P. Martin, “Proposal for Product Process Integration using Classification and Rules,” In EUROCON, 2007. The Int. Conf. on “Computer as a Tool,” 9-12, 2007, pp. 753-758, 2007,
-  A. Bahrami, “Integrated Process Management, From Planning to Work Execution,” In BSN ’05: Proc. of the IEEE EEE05 int. workshop on Business services networks, Hong Kong, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, p. 11, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.