Omnidirectional Vision for Mobile Robot Navigation
Zahari Taha, Jouh Yeong Chew, and Hwa Jen Yap
Department of Engineering Design and Manufacture, University Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Machine vision has been widely studied, leading to the discovery of many image-processing and identification techniques. Together with this, rapid advances in computer processing speed have triggered a growing need for vision sensor data and faster robot response. In considering omnidirectional camera use in machine vision, we have studied omnidirectional image features in depth to determine correlation between parameters and ways to flatten 3-dimensional images into 2 dimensions. We also discuss ways to process omnidirectional images based on their individual features.
-  S. Benhimane and E. Malis, “A New Approach to Vision-based Robot Control with Omni-directional Cameras,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 526-531, 2006.
-  S. H. Kohsia, M. M. Trivedi, and T. Gandhi, “Driver’s View and Vehicle Surround Estimation using Omnidirectional Video Stream,” Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 444-449, 2003.
-  J. H. Kim and M. J. Chung, “SLAM with Omnidirectional Stereo Vision Sensor,” Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 442-447, 2003.
-  I. Ulrich and I. Nourbakhsh, “Appearance-Based Place Recognition for Topological Localization,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1023-1029, 2000.
-  Appin Knowledge Solutions, “Robotics,” Infinity Science Press, 2007.
-  M. Gordon, “The Robot Builder’s Bonanza,” McGraw-Hill, 2001.
-  Nanophotonics Co. Ltd., “Catadioptric Wide-angle Lens,” http://www.nanophotonics.co.kr/, Access date: 10th July 2008 at 15.00.
-  H. Andreasson and T. Duckett, “Object Recognition by a Mobile Robot Using Omni-directional Vision,” Proc. of the Eighth Scandinavian Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, 2003.
-  M. DaneshPanah, A. Abdollahi, H. Ostadi, and H. A. Samani, “Robotic Soccer,” Itech Education and Publishing, 2007.
-  M. J. Mataric, “The Robotics Primer,” The MIT Press, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.