Performance Analysis of Container Unloading Operations at the Port of Suva Using a Simplified Analytical Model (SAM)
Shivendra Kumar* and Ljubo Vlacic**
*Memcor Aust. Pty Ltd, Siemens Water Technologies, NSW, Australia
University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji Islands
**Intelligent Control Systems Laboratory, Griffith University, QLD, Australia
Time has fast become one of the most important factors in global trading. While little can be done to reduce the travel time of ships, significant effort can be put into improving the efficiency of container terminal. This paper presents a simple analytical model (SAM) for predicting container dwell times and determining equipment utilization. The paper exemplifies the operations of the Port of Suva and presents an analysis of its operations. To improve the current performance, a cooperative control schema is proposed. It is shown in this paper that the prediction model and performance measures are a useful tool for container terminal planners.
-  U. Dorndorf, J. Herbers, E. Panascia, and H. Zimmermann, “Ports O’ Call or O.R Problems,” ORMS Today. Vol.34, No.2, pp. 36-40, 2007.
-  W. Yun and Y. Choi, “A simulation model for container terminal operations analysis using an object oriented approach,” Int. Journal of Production Economics, Vol.59, pp. 221-230, 1999.
-  A. Narasimhan and U. Palekar, “Analysis and Algorithms for the transtainer routing problem in container port operations,” Transportation Science, Vol.36, pp. 64-78, 2002.
-  H. Gunther and K. Kim, “Container terminals and terminal operations,” Operations Research Spectrum, Vol.28. pp. 437-445, 2006.
-  V. Botti, “Multi-agent system technology in a Port Container Terminal Operation,” ECRIM Newsletter, Vol.56, pp. 36-38, 2004.
-  Tahar and Hussain, “Simulation and analysis for the Kelang Container Terminal Operations,” Logistics Information Management, Vol.13 (1), pp. 14-20, 2000.
-  R. Alami, S. Fleury, M. Herrb, and I. Robert, “Multi-Robot cooperation in the MARTHA project,”IEEE Robotics and Automation magazine. pp. 36-47, 1998.
-  K. Kim, S. Won, J. Lim, and T. Takahashi, “An architectural design of control software for automated container terminals,” Computers and Industrial Engineering. Vol.46. pp. 741-754, 2004.
-  J. Evers and S. Koppers, “Automated Guided Vehicle traffic control at a container terminal,” Transportation Research, Vol.30(1), pp. 21-34, 1996.
-  S. Kumar, L. Vlacic, T. Yamada, M. Matsui, and A. Ming, “Key Issues on implementing cooperative mobile robot technologies for port automation tasks,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence, Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Singapore, Dec. 13-16, 2005.
-  A. Engwirda, L. Vlacic, M. Kajitani, and M. Hitchins, “Cooperation Among Autonomous Robots: Unsignalised Road Intersection Problem in Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (3) by T. Lueth, R. Dillman, P. Dario, and H. Worn,” Springer Verlag, Germany. pp. 151-160, 1998.
-  A. Ming, V. Masek, C. Kanamori, and M. Kajitani, “Cooperative Operations of Two mobile robots in Distributed Autonomous Systems (3) by T. Lueth, R. Dillman, P. Dario, and H. Worn,” Springer Verlag, Germany. pp. 151-160, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.