Helicopter Motion Control Using Model-Based Sliding Mode Controller
Gesang Nugroho and Zahari Taha
Department of Engineering Design & Manufacture University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
This paper describes a model-based controller design for helicopter using the sliding mode approach. The controller design assumes that only measured output are available and uses sliding mode observer to estimate all states of the system. The estimated states are then used to construct a model reference sliding mode control law. Simulation shows good performance for lateral velocity, longitudinal velocity, vertical velocity and yaw rate control.
-  A. J. Fossard, “Helicopter Control Law Based on Sliding Mode with Model Following,” International Journal of Control, pp. 1221-1235, 1993.
-  H. Sira-Ramirez, M. Zribi, and S. Ahmad, “A Dynamical Sliding Mode Control Approach for Vertical Flight Regulation in Helicopter,” Proc. of the IEE Part D, pp. 19-24, 1994.
-  J. K. Pieper, “Application of SLMC: TRC control of a Helicopter in Hover,” Proc. of the American Control Conf., Washington, pp. 1191-1195, 1995.
-  S. K. Spurgeon, C. Edwards, and N. Foster, “Robust Model Reference Control Using a Sliding Mode Controller/Observer Scheme with Application to a Helicopter Problem,” IEEE Workshop on Variable Structure Systems, pp. 36-41, 1996.
-  R. K. Heffley, “A Compilation and Analysis of Helicopter Handling Qualities Data,” CR 3144. NASA, 1978.
-  C. Edwards and S. K. Spurgeon, “Sliding Mode Control: Theory and Application,” Taylor and Francis, 1998.
-  S. K. Spurgeon and R. J. Patton, “Robust Variable Structure Control of a Model Reference System,” Proc. of the IEE Vol.137, Part D, pp. 341-3418, 1990.
-  B. L. Walcott and S. H. Zak, “Observation of Dynamical Systems in the Presence of Bounded Nonlinearities/uncertainties,” Proc. of the 25th Conf. on Decision and Control, pp. 961-966, 1986.
-  Control system toolbox, the MathWork.
-  Simulink Simulation and Model-Base Design, the MathWork.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.