Forest and Field Fire Search System Using MODIS Data
Eiji Nunohiro*, Kei Katayama**, Kenneth J. Mackin*,
and Jong Geol Park*
*Tokyo University of Information Sciences, 1200-2 Yatoh-cho, Wakaba-ku, Chiba 265-8501, Japan
**Graduate School of Tokyo University of Information Sciences, 1200-2 Yatoh-cho, Wakaba-ku, Chiba 265-8501, Japan
Tokyo University of Information Sciences receives MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) data from NASA’s Terra and Aqua satellites, and provides the processed data to universities and research institutes as part of the academic frontier project. This paper considers the utilization of MODIS data for a system to search for fire regions in forests and fields. For the search system to be effective, the system must be able to extract the location, range and distribution of fires in forests and fields from a large scale image database quickly with high accuracy. In order to achieve high search response time and to improve the accuracy of the analysis, we propose a forest and field fire search system which implements a) a parallel distributed system configuration using multiple PC clusters, and b) MOD02, MOD03 and MOD09 process levels of MODIS data for input data which provide higher resolution and more accurate readings than the standard MOD14 process level data.
and Jong Geol Park, “Forest and Field Fire Search System Using MODIS Data,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.11, No.8, pp. 1043-1048, 2007.
-  http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/atbd ,
NASA MODIS Website (referenced Mar. 1, 2007).
-  J. Park, Y. Yasuda, and H. Sekine, “Forest and fields fire monitoring system using MODIS data,” Japan Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Annual Conf., 2006 (in Japanese).
-  R. Wright, L. Flynn, H. Garberl, A. Harris, and E. Pilger, “Automated volcanic eruption detection using MODIS,” Remote Sensing of Environment, 82, pp. 135-255, 2002.
-  R. Wright, L. P. Flynn, H. Garberl, A. Harris, and E. Pilger, “MODVOLC: near-real-time thermal monitoring of global volcanism,” Journal of volcanology and geothermal research, 135, pp. 29-49, 2004.
-  E. F. Vermote, N. Z. El Saleous, and C. O. Justice, “Operational atmospheric correction of the MODIS data in the visible to middle infrared: First results,” Rem. Sens. Environ., 83, pp. 97-111, 2002.