Implementation of Fixed-Point Control Algorithms Based on the Modified Delta Operator and Form for Intelligent Systems
Monozukuri Department, Tokyo Metropolitan College of Industrial Technology, 1-10-40 Higashi-Ohi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 140-0011, Japan
The methodology we propose for realizing energy- and space-saving adaptive control algorithms is based on pulse width modulation (PWM) with a modified delta operator. The dynamic calculation range is at least twice that of the conventional range, making it very useful in embedded real-time intelligent and micromechatronic systems because complex control algorithms can be implemented in fixed-point arithmetic with short words. Simulation results for PID control and simple adaptive control demonstrate the practicality and effectiveness of our proposal.
-  N. Sureshbabu, B. K. Powell, and M. T. Dunn, “An Integrated Procedure for Fixed-Point Control Implementation,” Proc. of the 1998 American Control Conference, Vol.5, pp. 3096-3100, 1998.
-  K. Kaneko, F. Kanehiro, S. Kajita, K. Yokoyama, K. Akachi, T. Kawasaki, S. Ota, and T. Isozumi, “Design of Prototype Humanoid Robotics Platform for HRP,” Proc. of the 2002 IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2431-2436, 2002.
-  S. Guccione and G. Muscato, “The Wheeleg Robot –Control Strategies, Comuting Architectures, and Experimental Results of the Hybrid Wheeled/Legged Robot–,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 33-43, 2003.
-  S. Guccione and G. Muscato, “A True Walking Robot for the Comparative Study of Walking Machine Techniques,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 23-32, 2003.
-  R. C. Agarwal and C. S. Burrus, “New recursive digital filter having very low sensitivity and round-off noise,” IEEE Trans. CAS, Vol.22, No.12, pp. 921-927, 1971.
-  R. M. Goodall, “High-speed digital controllers using an 8bit microprocessor,” Software & Microsystems, Vol.4, No.5/6, pp. 246-250, 1985.
-  R. H. Middleton and G. C. Goodwin,“Improved finite word length characteristics in digital control using delta operators,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.31, No.11, pp. 1015-1021, 1986.
-  R. M. Goodall, “Minimization of computation for digital controllers,” Trans. Inst MC, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 218-224, 1989.
-  R. M. Goodall, “The delay operator z-1 – inappropriate for use in recursive digital filters?” Trans. Inst MC, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 246-250, 1990.
-  R. H. Middleton and G. C. Goodwin, “Digital Estimation and Control: A Unified Approach,” New Jersey:Prentice-Hall, 1990.
-  G. C. Goodwin, R. H. Middleton, and H. V. Poor, “High-Speed Digital Signal Processing and Control,” Proc. The IEEE, Vol.80, No.2, pp. 240-259, 1992.
-  T. Aoki and Y. Furukawa, “Proposal of Modified Delta Operation with V. M. M. and its Application to Controlling Algorithm in Fixed-Point Arithmetic,” Proc. of Fourth Int. Conf. Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV’96), pp. 2356-2360, 1996.
-  T. Aoki, N. Moronuki, and Y. Furukawa, “A study on Controlling Algorithm to Realize High-Speed & High-Accuracy Control Systems –Proposal of Modified Delta Operator–,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 446-454, 1997.
-  T. Aoki, “Implementation of Modified Delta Form for Microprocessors using Fixed-Point Arithmetic,” Proc. of the 1999 American Control Conference, Vol.5, pp. 4056-4060, 1999.
-  K. Sobel, H. Kaufman, and L. Mebius, “Implicit Adaptive Control for a Class of MIMO Systems,” IEEE Trans. Aerospace & Electron. Syst., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 576-590, 1982.
-  H. Kaufman, I. Barkana, and K. Sobel, “Direct adaptive control algorithms 2/e,” Springer, 1998.