Intelligent Work-Study Support Based on Interactive Web Guide
Masaaki Tanaka*, Tokuro Matsuo**, Takayuki Ito*,
Tadachika Ozono*, and Toramatsu Shintani*
*Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
**School of Project Design, Miyagi University, Gakuen 1, Taiwa, Kurokawa, Miyagi, Japan
Advances in the Internet have enabled the dissemination of many types of e-learning in assisted education. We propose a collaborative learning support system (CLSS) for studying in the classroom and off-campus. Users study cultural and historical sites through a field trip using our system and cellphones. We report the results of learning based on experience and study using online Web-based authoring support overcoming the limitations of conventional Web page authoring support making it difficult for learners to make web pages. We propose a Web-pamphlet making support system (WPASS) as a CLSS subsystem in which users easily construct and edit their study notes. The WPASS provide services to edit Web pages via a browser and enables teachers to advise learners thorough these pages. We discuss the advantages and effectiveness of our proposal, which supports making a Web guide for users in experienced learning, making and editing Web pages in real time and write about their experiences using cellphones. CLSS has the advantages of enabling (1) beginners to become experienced in PC use, (2) users to make Web guides for their activities, (3) mentors to give appropriate Web guidance, (4) users to learn and discuss the ethics of using cellphones in public, (5) users to keep long-term records of activities.
Tadachika Ozono, and Toramatsu Shintani, “Intelligent Work-Study Support Based on Interactive Web Guide,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 118-125, 2007.
-  http://www.adobe.com/products/golive/main.html
-  http://members.goo.ne.jp/
-  http://www.google.com/
-  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki/
-  http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/software/internet/hpb/
-  B. C. Chiu and Y. T. Yu, “Promoting the Use of Information Technology in Education via Lightweight Authoring Tools,” Proc. of International Conference on Computers in Education, Vol.1, pp. 501-505, 2002.
-  C. Houser, P. Thormton, and D. Kluge, “Mobile Learning: Cell Phones and PDAs for Education,” Proc. of International Conference on Computers in Education, Vol.2, pp. 1149-1150, 2002.
-  T. Roselli, E. Faggiano, P. Plantamura, and V. Rossano, “A WWWBased Cooperative Learning System and its Effects on Students’ Achievement,” Proc. of International Conference on Computers in Education, Vol.1, pp. 283-287, 2002.
-  B. Leuf, “Ward Cunningham: ‘WikiWay’,” SOFT BANK Publishing, 2002.
-  K. Ito, Special Issue –Advanced e-learning– What’s e-learning, Information Processing, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 394-400, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  N. Ohsumi (ed.), “Internet and Integrated Learning,” Reimei-shobo, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  F. Ohbayashi et al., “A Study of Learning Support System for Integrative Study,” Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol.43, No.8, pp. 2764-2773, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Sugimoto et al., “A System for Supporting Collaborative Learning with Networked Sensing Boards,” Transactions of The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, DI, Vol.J85-D-I, No.12, pp. 1152-1162, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Tanaka and T. Kamida, “Toward for Multimedia Education,” Bulletin of Management and Information, Chubu University, Vol.12, Nos.1-2, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tamaki et al. (eds.), “Practical e-Learning,” Ohm publisher, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Mitsuura and S. Shimizu, “Integrated Learning,” Taken publisher, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Education Ministry, Monbu-Kagaku Hakusho, 2002 (in Japanese).