Minimization of XML Tree Pattern Queries in the Presence of Integrity Constraints
Yangjun Chen* and Dunren Che**
*Department of Applied Computer Science, University of Winnipeg, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9, Canada
**Department of Computer Science, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
-  J. McHugh and J. Widom, “Query Optimization for XML,” Proceedings of the 25th VLDB Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1999.
-  W. Fan and J. Simeon, “Integrity Constraints for XML,” Proceedings of ACM PODS Conference, pp. 23-34, 2000.
-  S. Amer-Yahia et al., “Minimization of Tree Pattern Queries,” Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp. 497-508, 2001.
-  S. Chakravathy, J. Grant, and J. Minker, “Foundations of Semantic Query Optimization for Deductive Databases,” Foundations of DD and LP, 1988.
-  D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu, “Query Containment for Conjunctive Queries with Regular Expressions,” Proceedings of the 17th ACM Symp., Principles of Database Systems, pp. 139-148, 1998.
-  D. Calvanese, G. DeGiacomo, and M. Lenzerini, “Decidability of Query Containment under Constraints,” Proceedings of 17th ACM Symp., Principles of Database Systems, pp. 149-158, 1998.
-  M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, “Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness,” W. H. Freeman & Co., NY, 1979.
-  P. T. Wood, “Optimizing Web Queries Using Document Type Definitions,” Proceedings of 2nd ACM CIKM International Workshop on We Information and Data Management, pp. 28-32, 1999.
-  P. T. Wood, “On the Equivalence of XML Patterns,” Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Computational Logic, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1861, pp. 1152-1166, Springer-Verlag, NY, 2000.
-  P. T. Wood, “Rewriting XQL Queries on XML Repositories,” Proceedings of 17th British National Conf. on Databases, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1832, pp. 209-226, Springer-Verlag, NY, 2000.
-  P. T. Wood, “Minimizing Simple XPath Expressions,” WebDB 2001.
-  P. T. Wood, “Containment for XPath Fragments under DTD Constraints,” Proceedings of 9th International Conference of Database Theory, pp. 300-314, 2003.
-  World Wide Web Consortium. XML Path Language (XPath), W#C Recommendation, Version 1.0, November 1999. See
-  G. Miklau and D. Suciu, “Containment and Equivalence for an XPath Fragment,” Proceedings of 21st ACM Symp., Principles of Database Systems, 2002.
-  D. Chamberlin, J. Clark, D. Florescu, and M. Stefanescu, “XQuery1.0: An XML Query Language,”
-  A. Deutch, M. Fernandex, D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu, “A Query Language for XML,” WWW’99.
-  S. Al-Khalifa, H. V. Jagadish, N. Koudas, J. M. Patel, D. Srivastava, and Y. Wu, “Structural Joins: A Primitive for Efficient XML Query Pattern Matching,” Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Data Engineering, 2002.
-  D. Che and K. Aberer, “Query Processing and Optimization in XML Structured-Document Databases,” In preparation for the VLDB Journal.
-  Y. R. S. Yalamanchili, “Empirical Study of XML Query Optimization,” SIUC thesis collection, Spring 2005.
-  S. Flesca, F. Furfaro, and E. Masciari, “On the Minimization of Xpath Queries,” Proceedings of the 29th VLDB Conference, Berlin, Germany, 2003
-  D. Lee and W. W. Chu, “Constraints-preserving Transformation from XML Document Type Definition to Relational Schema,” Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling, pp. 323-338, 2000.
-  C. Yu and L. Popa, “Constraint-Based XML Query Rewriting for Data Integration,” Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference, Paris, France, 2004.
-  Y. Chen and D. Che, “Efficient Processing of XML Tree Pattern Queries,” Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 738-743, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.