On Fuzzy c-Means for Data with Tolerance
Ryuichi Murata, Yasunori Endo, Hideyuki Haruyama, and Sadaaki Miyamoto
University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
This paper presents two new clustering algorithms which are based on the entropy regularized fuzzy c-means and can treat data with some errors. First, the tolerance is formulated and introduce into optimization problems of clustering. Next, the problems are solved using Kuhn-Tucker conditions. Last, the algorithms are constructed based on the results of solving the problems.
-  J. C. Bezdek, “Pattern Recognition with Fuzzy Objective Function Algorithms,” Plenum Press, New York, 1981.
-  Y. Endo, “Clustering Algorithm Using Covariance for Fuzzy Data,”In Proc. 1998 International Symposium on Nonlinear Theory and Its Applications, pp. 511-514, 1998.
-  Y. Endo and K. Horiuchi, “On Clustering Algorithm for Fuzzy Data,” In Proc. 1997 International Symposium on Nonlinear Theory and Its Applications, pp. 381-384, 1997.
-  R.-P. Li and M. Mukaidono, “A maximum entropy approach to fuzzy clustering,” In Proc. of the 4th IEEE Intern. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE/IFES’95), pp. 2227-2232, Japan, March, 1995.
-  Z.-Q. Liu and S. Miyamoto (eds.), “Soft computing and humancentered machines,” pp. 85-129, Springer-Verlag Tokyo, Japan, 2000.
-  S. Miyamoto and M. Mukaidono, “Fuzzy c-means as a regularization and maximum entropy approach,” In Proc. of the 7th International Fuzzy Systems Association World Congress (IFES’97), volume II, pp. 86-92, Prague, June, 1997.
-  N. Wu, “The maximum entropy method,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997.