A Hybrid Neuro-Symbolic Approach for Arabic Handwritten Word Recognition
Labiba Souici-Meslati, and Mokhtar Sellami
Department of Informatics, LRI Laboratory, Badji Mokhtar University, BP 12, 23000, Annaba, Algeria
-  B. Al. Badr, and S. A. Mahmoud, “Survey and bibliography of Arabic optical text recognition,” Signal processing, Vol.41, pp. 49-77, 1995.
-  A. Amin, “Off-line arabic character recognition: The state of the art,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.31, No.5, pp. 517-530, 1998.
-  H. Bunke, “Recognition of Cursive Roman Handwriting – Past, Present and Future,” International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2003.
-  D. Cakmakov, and Y. Bennani, “Feature selection for pattern recognition,” Skopje, Informa, 2002.
-  N. Essoukhri Ben Amara, and F. Bouslama, “Classification of Arabic script using multiple sources of information: state of the art and perspectives,” International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, IJDAR, Vol.5, pp. 195-212, 2003.
-  N. Farah, L. Souici, L. Farah, and M. Sellami, “Arabic words recognition with classifier combination: An application to literal amounts,” Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, LNAI 3192, pp. 420-429, Springer, 2004.
-  S. Madhvanath, and V. Govindaraju, “Perceptual features for offline handwritten word recognition: a framework for heuristic prediction, representation and matching,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 1451, pp. 524-531, 1998.
-  S. Madhvanath, and V. Govindaraju, “The role of holistic paradigms in handwritten word recognition,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 149-164, 2001.
-  S. A. Mahmoud, “Arabic character recognition using Fourier descriptors and character contour encoding,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 815-824, 1994.
-  K. McGarry, S. Wermter, and J. MacIntyre, “Hybrid neural systems: from simple coupling to fully integrated neural networks,” Neural Computing Surveys, Vol.2, pp. 62-94, 1999.
-  T. Pavlidis, “Algorithms for Graphic and Image Processing,” Rockville, MD: Computer science press, 1982.
-  L. Schomaker, and E. Segers, “Finding features used in the human reading of cursive handwriting,” International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, IJDAR, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 13-18, 1999.
-  L. Souici, A. Aoun, and M. Sellami, “Global recognition system for Arabic literal amounts,” International Conference on Computer Technologies and Applications, ICCTA’99, Alexandria, Egypt, 1999.
-  L. Souici-Meslati, and M. Sellami, “Reconnaissance des montants littéraux arabes par un système hybride neuro-symbolique,” RFIA 2002, 11th Congrès francophone AFRIF-AFIA de Reconnaissance des Formes et Intelligence Artificielle, pp. 917-926, Angers, France, 2002.
-  L. Souici, N. Farah, T. Sari, and M. Sellami, “Rule based neural networks construction for handwritten arabic city-names recognition,” Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, LNAI 3192, pp. 331-340, Springer, 2004.
-  T. Steinherz, E. Rivlin, and N. Intrator, “Offline cursive script recognition: a survey,” IJDAR, International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, Vol.2, pp. 90-110, 1999.
-  C. Suen, S. Mori, S. Kim, and C. Leung, “Analysis and Recognition of Asian Scripts – The State of the Art,” International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2003.
-  G. G. Towell, “Symbolic knowledge and neural networks: insertion, refinement and extraction,” PhD thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1991.
-  G. G. Towell, and J. W. Shavlic, “Knowledge-based artificial neural networks,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.70, pp. 119-165, 1994.
-  A. Vinciarelli, “A survey on off-line Cursive Word Recognition,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.35, pp. 1433-1446, 2002.
-  S. Wermter, and R. Sun, “Hybrid neural systems,” Springer, 2000.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.