Manipulation Planning for Wiring Connector-Attached Cables Considering Linear Object’s Deformability
Wakasato 4-17-1, Nagano, Nagano 380-8553, Japan
**Seiko Epson Corp.
In this paper, we propose a method of manipulation planning for cable wiring. The method enables to take into account the deformation of cables while connector incorporation process. Using a physical simulation that predicts the shape of a cable based on the pose of both ends of the cable, we generate a connector moving path that avoids intereference between the cable and surrounding structures. We conducted experiments under several different environments and several different lengths of cables, and confirmed that actual cable manipulation can stably be achieved by using the proposed method.
-  H. Zhou, S. Li, Q. Lu, and J. Qian, “A Practical Solution to Deformable Linear Object Manipulation: A Case Study on Cable Harness Connection,” ICARM 2020, pp. 329-333, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICARM49381.2020.9195380
-  P. Chang and T. Padir, “Model-Based Manipulation of Linear Flexible Objects: Task Automation in Simulation and Real World,” Machines, Vol.8, No.3, 46, 2020. https://doi.org/10.3390/machines8030046
-  J. Huang, P. Di, T. Fukuda, and T. Matsuno, “Fault-tolelant Mating Process of Electric Connectors in Robotic Wiring Harness Assembly Systems,” Proc. of the 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, pp. 2339-2344, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2009.2034735
-  F. Chen, F. Cannella, J. Huang, H. Sasaki, and T. Fukuda, “A Study on Error Recovery Search Strategies of Electronic Connector Mating for Robotic Fault-Tolerant Assembly,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.81, No.2, pp. 257-271, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10846-015-0248-5
-  F. Yumbla, J. S. Yi, M. Abayebas, M. Shafiyev, and H. Moon, “Tolerance dataset: mating process of plug-in cable connectors for wire harness assembly tasks,” Intelligent Service Robotics, Vol.13. pp. 159-168. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11370-019-00307-5
-  H. C. Song, Y. L. Kim, D. H. Lee, and J. B. Song, “Electric connector assembly based on vision and impedance control using cable connector-feeding system,” J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.31, pp. 5997-6003, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-1144-7
-  D. Romeres, D. K. Jha, W. Yerazunis, D. Nikovski, and H. A. Dau, “Anomaly Detection for Insertion Tasks in Robotic Assembly Using Gaussian Process Models,” 2019 18th European Control Conf. (ECC), pp. 1017-1022, 2019. https://doi.org/10.23919/ECC.2019.8795698
-  Y. Domae, H. Okuda, Y. Kitaaki, Y. Kimura, H. Takauji, K. Sumi, and S. Kaneko, “3-D Sensing for Flexible Linear Object Alignment in Robot Cell Production System,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.1, pp. 100-111, 2010. https://doi.org/10.20965/jrm.2010.p0100
-  Y. Kitaaki, R. Haraguchi, K. Shiratsuchi, Y. Domae, H. Okuda, A. Noda, K. Sumi, T. Fukuda, S. Kaneko, and T. Matsuno, “A robotic assembly system capable of handling flexible cables with connector,” Proc. 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 893-897, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMA.2011.5985708.
-  K. Sumi, “Development of production robot system that can handle flexible goods “project for strategic development of advanced robot element technologies / Robot Assembly System for FA equipment”,” Proc. 2009 IEEE Workshop on Advanced Robotics and its Social Impacts, pp. 42-46, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/ARSO.2009.5587079
-  F. Yumbla, M. Abeyabas, T. Luong, J.-S. Yi, and H. Moon, “Preliminary Connector Recognition System Based on Image Processing for Wire Harness Assembly Tasks,” 2020 20th Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 1146-1150, 2020. https://doi.org/10.23919/ICCAS50221.2020.9268291
-  C. Ying, Y. Mo, Y. Matsuura, and K. Yamazaki, “Pose Estimation of a Small Connector Attached to the Tip of a Cable Sticking out of a Circuit Board,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.16, No.2, pp. 208-217, 2022. https://doi.org/10.20965/ijat.2022.p0208
-  C. R. Qi, L. Yi, H. Su, and L. J. Guibas, “PointNet++: Deep Hierarchical Feature Learning on Point Sets in a Metricc Space,” Proc. of the 31st Int. Conf. on Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 5105-5114, 2017.
-  K. Sano, S. Iijima, and K. Yamazaki, “A Case Study on Automated Manipulation for Hooking Wiring of Flexible Flat Cables,” Proc. 2019 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), pp. 793-798, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMA.2019.8816286
-  Y. She, S. Wang, S. Dong, N. Sunil, A. Rodriguez, and E. Adelson, “Cable manipulation with a tactile-reactive gripper,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.40, Nos.12-14, pp. 1385-1401, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1177/02783649211027233
-  J. Zhu, B. Navarro, P. Fraisse, A. Crosnier, and A. Cherubini, “Dual-arm robotic manipulation of flexible cables,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 479-484, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2018.8593780
-  M. Yu, K. Lv, H. Zhong, and X. Li, “Global Model Learning for Large Deformation Control of Elastic Deformable Linear Objects: An Efficient and Adaptive Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.39, No.1, pp.417-436, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2022.3200546
-  K. Yamazaki, R. Matsuura, and S. Arnold, “Generating Shape Transitions of Deformable Linear Objects Using Generative Adversarial Networks,” Proc. of the 2022 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 538-543, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICMA54519.2022.9856119
-  D. Sánchez, W. Wan, and K. Harada, “Tethered Tool Manipulation Planning with Cable Maneuvering,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 2777-2784, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/LRA.2020.2974675
-  P. Kaufmann, S. Martin, M. Botsch, and M. Gross, “Flexible simulation of deformable models using discontinuous Galerkin FEM,” Graphical Models, Vol.71, No.4, pp. 153-167, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gmod.2009.02.002
-  A. Loock and E. Schömer, “A Virtual Environment for Interactive Assembly Simulation: From Rigid Bodies to Deformable Cables,” Proc. of the 5th World Multiconference on Systemics, pp. 325-332, 2001.
-  N. Lv, J. Liu, X. Ding, J. Liu, H. Lin, and J. Ma, “Physically based real-time interactive assembly simulation of cable harness,” J. of Manufacturing Systems, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 385-399, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2017.02.001
-  T. Möller and B. Trumbore, “Fast, minimum storage ray/triangle intersection,” J. of Graphics Tools, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 21-18, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1145/1198555.1198746
-  Seiko Epson Corporation, “Industrial Robot N series” (in Japanese). https://www.epson.jp/products/robots/lineup/6axis/n/ [Accessed June 9, 2023]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.