Development of High-Speed Rotation Polishing System with Slurry Confinement and Friction-State Control
Kenichiro Yoshitomi, Yoshinori Shimada, and Atsunobu Une
National Defense Academy of Japan
1-10-20 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
An increased removal rate is required to improve the production efficiency during the polishing of ultrahard-to-process materials. The rotational speed of the polishing pad is increased to increase the removal rate. However, research has not been extensively conducted on polishing with a high-speed rotation because slurry is rarely supplied to a polishing area by the centrifugal force generated through polishing pad rotation. In this study, we developed a high-speed rotational polishing system with slurry confinement and friction-state control. The casing and spiral groove of the polishing pad were designed to confine the slurry in a polishing area, and friction-state control was adopted to maintain the spindle torque generated by friction between the pad and wafer at the target spindle torque. Based on the experiments investigating the supply efficiency, the developed polishing method can supply sufficient slurry to the polishing area by the optimized spiral groove pattern and perform polishing without slurry shortage at a high-speed pad rotation of 10000 min-1. In addition, the results of polishing experiments for a sapphire wafer revealed that friction-state control and wafer rotation could stabilize the polishing state effectively. The proposed polishing system can achieve a higher removal rate than the conventional polishing system.
-  T. Doi, “Next-Generation, Super-Hard-to-Process Substrates and Their High-Efficiency Machining Process Technologies Used to Create Innovative Devices,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.2, pp. 145-153, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2018.p0145, 2018.
-  H. Aida, T. Doi, H. Takeda, H. Katakura, S.-W. Kim, K. Koyama, T. Yamazaki, and M. Uneda, “Ultraprecision CMP for sapphire, GaN and SiC for advanced optoelectronics materials,” Current Applied Physics, Vol.12, pp. 41-46, doi: 10.1016/j.cap.2012.02.016, 2012.
-  T. Tagawa, M. Touge, T. Sakamoto, S. Shikata, H. Yamada, and Y. Kato, “Study on UV-Assisted Polishing of Diamond Wafer for Power Electric Devices,” J. of JSPE, Vol.80, pp. 587-591, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.80.587, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  K. Wakamatsu, S. Kurokawa, T. Toyama, and T. Hayashi, “CMP characteristics of quartz glass substrate by aggregated colloidal ceria slurry,” Precision Engineering, Vol.60, pp. 458-464, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2019.06.014, 2019.
-  B. Park, S. Jeong, H. Lee, H. Kim, H. Jeong, and D. A. Dornfeld, “Experimental Investigation of Material Removal Characteristics in Silicon Chemical Mechanical Polishing,” Japanese J. of Applied Physics, Vol.48, 116505, doi: 10.1143/jjap.48.116505, 2009.
-  M. Uneda, K. Takano, K. Koyama, H. Aida, and K. Ishikawa, “Investigation into Chemical Mechanical Polishing Mechanism of Hard-to-Process Materials Using a Commercially Available Single-Sided Polisher,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 573-579, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2015.p0573, 2015.
-  K. Hirose and T. Enomoto, “Optimization of Double-Sided Polishing Conditions to Achieve High Flatness: Consideration of Relative Motion Direction,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.5, pp. 581-591, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2009.p0581, 2009.
-  Y. Hashimoto, R. Kondo, T. Furumoto, and A. Hosokawa, “Development of Highly Accurate Simulation Model of Wafer Behavior Considering Contact Between Wafer and Carrier during Double-Sided Lapping,” J. of JSPE, Vol.83, pp. 433-438, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.83.433, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  N. Suzuki and Y. Hashimoto, “Development of Accurate Prediction Technology of Material Removal Rate Distribution in Planarization CMP,” J. of JSPE, Vol.84, pp. 221-224, doi: 10.2493/jjspe.84.221, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  L. Ou, S. Guo, Y. Zhe, Z. Dong, R. Kang, D. Guo, and K. Shi, “Polishing tool with phyllotactic distributed through-holes for photochemically combined mechanical polishing of N-type gallium nitride wafers,” Precision Engineering, Vol.66, pp. 135-143, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2020.06.0092020, 2020.
-  M. Uneda and K. Fujii, “Highly efficient chemical mechanical polishing method for SiC substrates using enhanced slurry containing bubbles of ozone gas,” Precision Engineering, Vol.64, pp. 91-97, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2020.03.0152020, 2020.
-  P. Khajornrungruang, N. Wada, K. Kimura, R. Yui, and K. Suzuki, “Investigation on Slurry Flow and Temperature in Polishing Process of Quartz Glass Substrate,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.2, pp. 195-200, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2011.p0195, 2011.
-  R. Sun, A. Nozoe, J. Nagahashi, K. Arima, K. Kawai, and K. Yamamura, “Novel highly-efficient and dress-free polishing technique with plasma-assisted surface modification and dressing,” Precision Engineering, Vol.72, pp. 224-236, doi: 10.1016/j.precisioneng.2021.05.003, 2021.
-  R. Sato and Y. Ichida, “Study on Polishing Characteristics of Pyramidal Structured Polishing Pad,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.2, pp. 237-245, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2019.p0237, 2019.
-  M. Uneda, Y. Fukuta, K. Yokogawa, K. Hotta, H. Sugiyama, K. Tamai, H. Morinaga, and K.-I. Ishikawa, “Effects of slurry flow sapphire-chemical mechanical polishing,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.53, No.9, pp. 583-588, doi: 10.11420/jsat.58.583, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  M. Uneda, N. Takahashi, Y. Arai, and T. Fujita, “Effectiveness of novel pad dressing method by flexible fiber dresser,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.59, No.8, pp. 459-464, doi: 10.11420/jsat.59.459, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  L. Zhou, M. Noda, T. Touse, H. Ojima, T. Onuki, J. Shimizu, and T. Yamamoto, “Development and characterization of binder-free abrasive pellet for CMG grinding wheel,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.65, No.12, pp. 671-675, doi: 10.11420/jsat.65.671, 2021 (in Japanese).
-  A. Une, K. Yoshitomi, and M. Mochida, “Oscillation-Speed-Control-Type Polishing with a Small Tool (3rd Report) – Pressure Distributions and Wafer Profiles Polished with Tool Overhang –,” J. of JSPE, Vol.70, pp. 1201-1205, doi: 10.2493/jspe.70.1201, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K, Yoshitomi, A. Une, and M. Mochida, “Planarization polishing for a large-sized wafer with a small tool (1st report) – Optimization of polishing condition with a simulation program –,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.47, No.4, pp. 196-200, 2003 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.