Enhancing the Shape Complexity in Direct Energy Deposition with Phased Deformation
Srinath Gudur, Suryakumar Simhambhatla, and N. Venkata Reddy
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad (IITH)
Kandi, Sangareddy, Telangana 502285, India
Wire-based direct energy deposition (W-DED) techniques in metal additive manufacturing allow part-fabrication at higher deposition rates and lower costs. Given the lack of any support mechanism, these processes face challenges in fabricating overhanging features. The inherent overhang capability of weld-beads and higher-order kinematics can help realize certain complex geometries. However, significant challenges like non-uniform slicing, constrained deposition-torch accessibility, etc., limit the efficacy of these approaches. The present work describes a deformation-aided deposition process designed to overcome some of these limitations and to manufacture complex metallic components. It is based on a sequential combination of deposition and bending processes: a shape fabricated through W-DED deposition is bent to form the required shape. The cycle of deposition and bending is repeated until the final desired geometry is realized. The anisotropic and deterministic behaviors of the deposited components are analyzed in terms of springback and the punch force. Finally, the benefit of current hybrid process is demonstrated through a few illustrative geometries.
-  A. Sreenathbabu, K. P. Karunakaran, and C. Amarnath, “Statistical process design for hybrid adaptive layer manufacturing,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.11, No.4, pp. 235-248, 2005.
-  J. L. Z. Li, M. R. Alkahari, N. A. B. Rosli et al., “Review of Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing for 3D Metal Printing,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.3, pp. 346-353, 2019.
-  J. S. Panchagnula and S. Simhambhatla, “Additive Manufacturing of Complex Shapes Through Weld-Deposition and Feature Based Slicing,” Int. Mechanical Engineering Cong. and Exposition (ASME-IMECE 2015), V02AT02A004, 2015.
-  L. Yuan, Z. Pan, D. Ding et al., “Fabrication of metallic parts with overhanging structures using the robotic wire arc additive manufacturing,” J. Manuf. Process., Vol.63, pp. 24-34, 2021.
-  P. Kazanas, P. Deherkar, P. Almeida et al., “Fabrication of geometrical features using wire and arc additive manufacture,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. (Part B: J. Eng. Manuf.), Vol. 226, No.6, pp. 1042-1051, 2012.
-  J. P. M. Pragana, R. F. V. Sampaio, I. M. F. Bragança et al., “Hybrid metal additive manufacturing: A state-of-the-art review,” Advances in Industrial and Manufacturing, Vol.2, 100032, 2021.
-  G. Melis, P. Sirianni, A. Porceddu et al., “A Novel Platform for Smart 3D Manufacturing System,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.4, pp. 560-567, 2020.
-  P. A. Colegrove, H. E. Coules, J. Fairman et al., “Microstructure and residual stress improvement in wire and arc additively manufactured parts through high-pressure rolling,” J. Materials Processing Technology, Vol.213, No.10, pp. 1782-1791, 2013.
-  H. Zhang, X. Wang, G. Wang et al., “Hybrid direct manufacturing method of metallic parts using deposition and micro continuous rolling,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.19, No.6, pp. 387-394, 2013.
-  F. Martina, P. A. Colegrove, S. W. Williams et al., “Microstructure of Interpass Rolled Wire + Arc Additive Manufacturing Ti-6Al-4V Components,” Metallurgical and Materials Trans. A, Vol.46, Issue 12, pp. 6103-6118, 2015.
-  Z. Hai-ou, R. Wang, L. Liang et al., “HDMR technology for the aircraft metal part,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.22, No.6, pp. 857-863, 2016.
-  J. Gu, J. Ding, S. W. Williams et al., “The strengthening effect of inter-layer cold working and post-deposition heat treatment on the additively manufactured Al–6.3Cu alloy,” Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol.651, pp. 18-26, 2016.
-  X. Xu, S. Ganguly, J. Ding et al., “Enhancing mechanical properties of wire + arc additively manufactured INCONEL 718 superalloy through in-process thermomechanical processing,” Materials & Design, Vol.160, pp. 1042-1051, 2018.
-  Y. Xie, H. Zhang, and F. Zhou, “Improvement in Geometrical Accuracy and Mechanical Property for Arc-Based Additive Manufacturing Using Metamorphic Rolling Mechanism,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Vol.138, Issue 11, pp. 111002-111010, 2016.
-  C. Ma, Y. Liu, C. Li et al., “Mechanical properties of carbon steel by compound arc and vibration shock forging-rolling,” J. Manufacturing Processes, Vol.60, pp. 11-22, 2020.
-  Y. Li and R. Rapthadu, “Bending-Additive-Machining Hybrid Manufacturing of Sheet Metal Structures,” Proc. of the ASME 2017 12th Int. Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conf., Vol.1: Processes, V001T02A021, 2017.
-  J. D. Kulkarni, S. B. Goka, P. K. Parchuri et al., “Microstructure evolution along build direction for thin-wall components fabricated with wire-direct energy deposition,” Rapid Prototyping J., Vol.27, Issue 7, pp. 1289-1301, 2021.
-  A. Ermakova, A. Mehmanparast, S. Ganguly et al., “Investigation of mechanical and fracture properties of wire and arc additively manufactured low carbon steel components,” Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, Vol.109, 102685, 2020.
-  S. Takushima, N. Shinohara, D. Morita et al., “In-Process Height Displacement Measurement Using Crossed Line Beams for Process Control of Laser Wire Deposition,” Int J. Automation Technol., Vol.15, No.5, pp. 715-727, 2021.
-  J. S. Panchagnula, A. Sharma, and S. Simhambhatla, “Thermal management in manufacture of thin-walled components produced by arc-based additive manufacturing,” Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. on Trends in Welding Research, 2016.
-  L. D. Cozzolino, H. E. Coules, P. A. Colegrove et al., “Investigation of post-weld rolling methods to reduce residual stress and distortion,” J. Materials Processing Technol., Vol.247, pp. 243-256, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.