Development of a Sharp-Tipped L-Shaped Stylus for Measurement of Nanoscale Sidewall Features
Kosuke Uchiyama*, Hiroshi Murakami*,, Akio Katsuki**, and Takao Sajima**
*The University of Kitakyushu
1-1 Hibikino, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu-shi, Fukuoka 808-0135, Japan
**Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
This paper presents a system for measuring nanoscale sidewall features using an L-shaped stylus with a sharp tip. By sharpening the tip of the stylus to the nanometer scale, it is possible to measure nanoscale sidewall features. The stylus shaft is deflected when the sharpened stylus tip contacts the measured surface, and this deflection is measured optically. In this study, we develop the fabrication method of an L-shaped sharpened stylus 20 μm in diameter and 4 mm in length by etching, CO2 laser processing, and bonding. Then, the measurement accuracy and repeatability are examined by measuring V-grooves with nanoscale features. The results clarify that the pitch is approximately 0.3 μm, which is almost the same as the value measured using the photographic image, but the depths measured by the styli fabricated by CO2 laser processing and bonding are approximately 0.15 and 0.07 μm, respectively. The depth measured by the stylus fabricated by bonding is smaller than that measured from the image (approximately 0.16 μm), presumably because of the morphological filter. The maximum repeatability errors for 10 measurements using the styli fabricated by CO2 laser processing and bonding are within ±0.056 and ±0.022 μm in scanning mode, respectively. It is also confirmed that the stylus tip exhibits minimal wear even after 500 measurements.
-  W. W. Shen and K. N. Chen, “Three-Dimensional Integrated Circuit (3D IC) Key Technology: Through-Silicon Via (TSV),” Nanoscale Res. Lett., Vol.12, No.1, 56, 2017.
-  T. Nakamura, H. Kitada, Y. Mizushima, N. Maeda, K. Fujimoto, and T. Ohba, “Comparative study of side-wall roughness effects on leakage currents in through-silicon via interconnects,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. 3D Systems Integration Conf., pp. 1-4, 2012.
-  P. Strasser, F. Robin, C. F. Carlström, R. Wüest, R. Kappeler, and H. Jäckel, “Sidewall roughness measurement inside photonic crystal holes by atomic force microscopy,” Nanotechnology, Vol.18, No.40, 405703-5, 2007.
-  G. Dai, H. Wolff, F. Pohlenz, H. U. Danzebrink, and G. Wilkening, “Atomic force probe for sidewall scanning of nano- and microstructures,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.88, No.17, 171908, 2006.
-  I. H. Song, Y. A. Peter, and M. Meunier, “Smoothing dry-etched microstructure sidewalls using focused ion beam milling for optical applications,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.17, No.8, pp. 1593-1597, 2007.
-  H. C. Liu, Y. H. Lin, and W. Hsu, “Sidewall roughness control in advanced silicon etch process,” Microsystem Technologies, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 29-34, 2003.
-  J. H. Jang, W. Zhao, J. W. Bae et al., “Direct measurement of nanoscale sidewall roughness of optical waveguides using an atomic force microscope,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.83, No.20, pp. 4116-4118, 2003.
-  K. C. Fan, K. Zhang, Y. L. Zhang, and Q. Zhang, “Development of a Non-Contact Focusing Probe for the Measurement of Micro Cavities,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.2, pp. 156-162, 2013.
-  Y. Wang, F. Xie, S. Ma, and L. Dong, “Review of surface profile measurement techniques based on optical interferometry,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.93, pp. 164-170, 2017.
-  Y. Zheng, X. Zhang, S. Wang, Q. Li, H. Qin, and B. Li, “Similarity evaluation of topography measurement results by different optical metrology technologies for additive manufactured parts,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.126, 105920, 2020.
-  N. A. Feidenhans’l, P. E. Hansen, L. Pilný, M. H. Madsen, G. Bissacco, J. C. Petersen, and R. Taboryski, “Comparison of optical methods for surface roughness characterization,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.26, No.8, 085208, 2015.
-  K. Miura, A. Nose, H. Suzuki, and M. Okada, “Cutting Tool Edge and Textured Surface Measurements with a Point Autofocus Probe,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 761-765, 2017.
-  Y. Ihara and T. Nagasawa, “Fundamental Study of the On-Machine Measurement in the Machining Center with a Touch Trigger Probe,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.7, No.5, pp. 523-536, 2013.
-  W. Zheng, Z. Liu, and J. Guo, “A friction-coupled measurement model of a 3D scanning probe with unequal stiffness,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.32, No.1, 015106, 2021.
-  H. Shimizu, A. Ogawa, Y. Sasaki, and Y. Tamaru, “Property Evaluation of Eccentric Astigmatic Method to Apply Micro Tactile Probe,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.5, pp. 551-557, 2015.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Development of Micro Contact Detection Probe for Microhole Quality Control,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.2, pp. 102-108, 2011.
-  S. Ito, Y. Shima, D. Kato, K. Matsumoto, and K. Kamiya, “Development of a Microprobing System for Side Wall Detection Based on Local Surface Interaction Force Detection,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 91-98, 2020.
-  F. Z. Fang, X. D. Zhang, W. Gao, Y. B. Guo, G. Byrne, and H. N. Hansen, “Nanomanufacturing – Perspective and applications,” CIRP Annals, Vol.66, No.2, pp. 683-705, 2017.
-  J. D. Claverley and R. K. Leach, “A review of the existing performance verification infrastructure for micro-CMMs,” Precision Engineering, Vol.39, pp. 1-15, 2015.
-  J. Thiesler, R. Tutsch, K. Fromm, and G. Dai, “True 3D-AFM sensor for nanometrology,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.31, No.7, 074012, 2020.
-  H. Murakami, A. Katsuki, T. Sajima, and K. Uchiyama, “Fabrication of Ultra-Small-Diameter Optical-Fiber Probe Using Acid-Etch Technique and CO2 Laser for 3D-Micro Metrology,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 699-706, 2017.
-  H. Murakami, A. Katsuki, T. Sajima et al., “Development of measurement system for microstructures using an optical fiber probe: improvement of measurable region and depth,” Measurement Science and Technology, Vol.31, No.7, 075902, 2020.
-  R. Leach, A. Weckenmann, J. Coupland, and W. Hartmann, “Interpreting the probe-surface interaction of surface measuring instruments, or what is a surface?,” Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties, Vol.2, No.3, 035001, 2014.
-  D. J. Whitehouse, “Dynamic aspects of scanning surface instruments and microscopes,” Nanotechnology, Vol.1, pp. 93-102, 1990.
-  S. Lou, X. Jiang, and P. J. Scott, “Algorithms for morphological profile filters and their comparison,” Precision Engineering, Vol.36, No.3, pp. 414-423, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.