Generation Method of Cutting Tool Paths for High-Speed and High-Quality Machining of Free-Form Surfaces
Yuki Takanashi*,, Hideki Aoyama*, and Song Cheol Won**
3-14-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8522, Japan
**UEL Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
In general, NC programs for machining free-form surfaces using a computer numerical control (CNC) machine tool are generated using a computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) system. The tool paths (CL data) generated by a CAM system are approximated straight-line segments based on tolerance (allowable error). As a result, the tolerance affects the machining accuracy and time. If the tolerance is set to a small value, the lengths of the segments are shortened, and the machining accuracy is improved. The process in which a CNC machine tool reads and analyzes an NC program and controls the motors requires a minimum processing time of an NC program block (block-processing time). Therefore, if the lengths of the approximated straight-line segments are too small, it will be impossible to reach the indicated feed speed, and the machining time will be longer. In this study, by identifying the block-processing time of a CNC controller and deriving the appropriate length of the approximated straight-line segment based on the block-processing time, a CL data creation method that is capable of high-speed and high-accuracy free-form surface machining is proposed. In addition, experimental verification tests of the method are conducted.
-  T. Chen and P. Ye, “A tool path generation strategy for sculptured surfaces machining,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.127, pp. 369-373, 2002.
-  J. P. Davim, “Modern manufacturing engineering,” Basel Switzerland, Springer Int. Publishing AG, pp. 143-177, 2015.
-  C.-C. Lo and R.-S. Lin, “An improved method for scheduling the tool paths for three-axis surface machining,” Int. J. Mach. Tool. Manufact., Vol.42, pp. 133-147, 2001.
-  S.-L. Chen and S.-F. Hong, “Surface generation and fabrication of roller gear cam with spherical rollers,” J. Adv. Mech. Des. Syst. Manuf., Vol.2, pp. 297-298, 2008.
-  D. W. K. Neo, A. S. Kumar, and M. Rahman, “An automated Guilloche machining technique for the fabrication of polygonal Fresnel lens array,” Precis. Eng., Vol.2, pp. 55-62, 2015.
-  B. Zhou, J. Zhao, L. Li, and R. Xia, “A smooth double spiral tool path generation and linking method for high-speed machining of multiply-connected pockets,” Precis. Eng., Vol.46, pp. 48-64, 2016.
-  D. W. K. Neo, A. S. Kumar, and M. Rahman, “A novel surface analytical model for cutting linearization error in fast tool/slow slide servo diamond turning,” Precis. Eng., Vol.38, pp. 849-860, 2014.
-  Y. Tominaga, K. Teramoto, T. Ishida, H. Honda, and Y. Takeuchi, “Cutter location generation method for improving feed rate and machining accuracy based on control characteristics of machine tool,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.72, No.719, pp. 282-288, 2006.
-  T. Otsuki, H. Sasahara, and R. Sato, “A method for evaluating the speed and accuracy of CNC machine tools,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century (LEM21), 034, 2017.
-  T. Otsuki, H. Kozai, and T. Ishibe, “Feed speed clamping system,” Patent publication No.JPH0695727, 1994.
-  J. Yoshida, H. Kawana, and N. Kurisaki, “Method and device for controlling feed rate in numerical control,” Patent publication No.JPH07191728, 1995.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Cutter location generation method for improving feedrate and machining accuracy based on control characteristics of machine tool,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Ser. C, Vol.78, No.786, pp. 650-658, 2012.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Toolpath generation method based on control characteristics of machine tool for high-speed and high-accuracy machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 697-703, 2012.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Accurate estimation of cutting time based on control principle of machine tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 429-437, 2016.
-  T. Otsuki, H. Sasahara, and R. Sato, “Method for generating CNC programs based on block-processing time to improve speed and accuracy of machining curved shapes,” Precision Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 33-41, 2019.
-  T. Otsuki, H. Sasahara, and R. Sato, “Method to evaluate speed and accuracy performance of CNC machine tools by speed-error 2-D representation,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 1-14, 2019.
-  R. Touno, E. Syamono, and T. Moriwaki, “Tool path generation by direct offset method (1st report),” J. of Precision Engineering Society, Vol.69, No.6, pp. 781-787, 2003.
-  K. Takasugi, Y. Morimoto, N. Asakawa, and O. Hamamatu, “Highly accurate and efficient tool path generation based on surface parameters,” J. of Precision Engineering Society, Vol.81, No.10, pp. 974-978, 2015.
-  D. Du, Y. Liu, C. Yan, X. Guo, K. Yamazaki, and M. Fujishima, “An accurate adaptive NURBS curve interpolator with real-time flexible acceleration/deceleration control,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 273-281, 2010.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Cutter location generation method for improving feed rate and machining accuracy based on control characteristics of machine tool,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.78, No.786, pp. 302-310, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.