Theoretical Verification of Film Forming in Local Electroplating Process with Electrolyte Suction Tool
Atsushi Sato and Wataru Natsu
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei City, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
Electroplating has many applications, including surface hardening and metal thin film manufacturing. In conventional electroplating, the entire workpiece is immersed in the plating solution. Since the whole surface in contact with the solution is plated, a masking operation to remove the unnecessary plating film is required. This is especially applicable to local plating in the case of ornament plating, surface hardening method, among others. However, these additional processes result in substantial increase in processing time and cost. Earlier, we achieved maskless local electroplating with a smooth surface using a suction tool, in which the electrolyte was retrieved by a suction pump through a suction hole. Even so, formation of film on electroplating is yet to be verified by simulations. Herein, we performed experiments and simulations of the local electroplating by varying the processing time before comparing the results. Finally, the validity of the film forming was examined by discussing the results.
-  M. Yasui, S. Kaneko, M. Takahashi, T. Sano, Y. Hirabayashi, T. Ozawa, and R. Maeda, “Micro Imprinting for Al Alloy Using Ni-W Electroformed Mold,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 674-677, 2015.
-  A. Mizobuchi, Y. Kagawa, and T. Ishida, “Miniature Drilling of Chemically Strengthened Glass Plate Using Electroplated Diamond Tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 780-785, 2016.
-  D. Lim, B. Ku, D. Seo, C. Lim, E. Oh, S. E. Shim, and S. H. Baeck, “Pulse-reverse electroplating of chromium from Sargent baths: Influence of anodic time on physical and electrochemical properties of electroplated Cr,” Int. J. Refract. Met. H, Vol.89, pp. 1-5, 2020.
-  N. Imaz, E. García-Lecina, J. A. Díez, M. Ostra, and M. Sarret, “Chemometrics Applied to Functional Chromium Electroplating by Pulse Plating Techniques,” Trans. of the IMF, Vol.90, pp. 259-266, 2012.
-  M. P. Do Nascimento and H. J. C. Voorwald, “The Significance and Determination by Image Analysis of Microcrack Density in Hard Chromium Plating,” Plating and Surface Finishing, Vol.3, Issue 2, pp. 36-42, 2008.
-  E. S. Masuku, A. R. Mileham, H. Hardisty, A. N. Bramley, C. Johal, and P. Detassis, “A Finite Element Simulation of the Electroplating Process,” CIRP Annals, Vol.51, Issue 1, pp. 169-172, 2002.
-  S. Mehdizadeh, J. Dukovic, P. C. Andricacos, L. T. Romankiw, and H. Y. Cheh, “The Influence of Lithographic Patterning on Current Distribution in Electrodeposition: Experimental Study and Mass-Transfer Effects,” J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol.140, No.12, pp. 3497-3505, 1993.
-  C. Gu, D. Zhang, D. Wang, Y. Yam, C. Li, and S. C. Chen, “Parallel femtosecond laser light sheet micro-manufacturing based on temporal focusing,” Precision Engineering, Vol.50, pp. 198-203, 2017.
-  D. Wang, C. Wen, Y. Chang, W. Lin, and S. C. Chen, “Ultrafast Laser-enabled 3D Metal Printing: A solution to fabricate arbitrary submicron metal structures,” Precision Engineering, Vol.52, pp. 106-111, 2018.
-  E. C. Bocking, J. S. Dover, and R. G. Bennet, “An Investigation into the Suitability of High Speed Selective Jet Electrodeposition for Rapid Tooling,” Proc. 1st National Conf. on Rapid Prototyping and Tooling Research, pp. 157-173, 1995.
-  J. S. Dover, W. E. A. Rennie, and R. G. Bennett, “Rapid Prototyping using Electrodeposition of Copper,” Solid Freeform Fabrication Symp., pp. 191-198, 1996.
-  M. Kunieda, R. Katoh, and Y. Mori, “Rapid Prototyping by Selective Electrodeposition Using Electrolyte Jet,” CIRP Annals, Vol.47, Issue 1, pp. 161-164, 1998.
-  K. Yamamura, “Fabrication of Ultra Precision Optics by Numerically Controlled Local Wet Etching,” CIRP Annals, Vol.56, Issue 1, pp. 541-544, 2007.
-  K. Yamamura, “Development of Numerically Controlled Local Wet Etching,” Sci. Technol. Adv. Mater., Vol.8, Issue 3, pp. 158-161, 2007.
-  K. Endo and W. Natsu, “Proposal and Verification of Electrolyte Suction Tool with Function of Gap-width Detection,” Int. J. of Electrical Machining, Vol.19, pp. 34-39, 2014.
-  A. Sato and W. Natsu, “Proposal and Verification of Area-limited Electroplating with Suction Tool,” Int. J. of Electrical Machining, Vol.20, pp. 37-43, 2015.
-  F. Druesne and M. Afzali, “Electroplating Simulation and Design Tool,” Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B, J. of Engineering Manufacture, Vol.217, pp. 705-707, 2003.
-  T. Aizawa, Y. Saito, H. Hasegawa, and K. Wasa, “Fabrication of Optimally Micro-Textured Copper Substrates by Plasma Printing for Plastic Mold Packaging,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.14, No.2, pp. 200-207, 2020.
-  D. K. Chung, H. S. Shin, M. S. Park, B. H. Kim, and C. N. Chu, “Recent Researches in Micro Electrical Machining,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol.12, pp. 371-380, 2001.
-  N. Suzuki, Y. Morimoto, K. Takasugi, R. Kobashi, R. Hirono, Y. Kaneko, and Y. Tokuno, “Development of Desktop Machine Tool with Pipe Frame Structure,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.6, pp. 720-730, 2015.
-  K. Teramoto and J. Kaneko, “Mini Special Issue on Machining of Deformable Parts,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.6, p. 947, 2017.
-  T. Hujino and H. Inagaki, “Mextuki Jitsuyou Binran,” Kougaku Tosho, 1978 (in Japanese).
-  A. Tanimoto, “About Physical Property Constants of Copper Sulfate Aqueous Solution,” The Society of Chemical Engineers, Vol.27, No.2, pp. 93-95, 1963 (in Japanese).
-  K. Maruyama, “Mextuki Jitsumu Dokuhon,” Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, 1983 (in Japanese).