Development of Production Internet Framework for Value Creation
Stanisław Strzelczak*,**,, Rong Kang**, and Fernando Castaño***
*Lab of Industrial Ecosystemics, Warsaw University of Technology
85 Narbutta, Warsaw 02-524, Poland
**School of Economics and Management, Northwest University, Shaanxi, China
***Centre for Automation and Robotics, Spanish National Research Council, Technical University of Madrid, Arganda del Rey, Spain
Exponential technologies, if blended with advantageous conceptual setups, enable innovative developments for Internet-based production ecosystems. The focus of this study is on developing a support mechanism for homeostatic and evolutionary abilities in large-scale production environments. Starting from a reflection on the state-of-the-art, a suitable framework was developed for the conceptualization of Internet-based production ecosystems. Based on augmented context awareness and eco-systemic intelligence, homeostatic and adaptive abilities were designed, and used along with the operational controls to maintain the homeostasis of loads, workflows, and variability, and facilitate the long-term adaptation of the actors. The latter may comprise self-made adaptation of human and digital actors, as well as externally supported modification of functions operated by cyber-agents. The advantage of the proposed solutions is twofold: firstly, stakeholders can improve their performance and adaptability; and secondly, they can also benefit from non-selfish behaviors.
-  J. F. Moore, “Predators and Prey: A New Ecology of Competition,” Harvard Business Review, V-VI/1993, pp. 75-86, 1993.
-  B. Guilhon, “Innovation and Production Ecosystems,” John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
-  N. Smorodinskaya, M. G. Russell, D. Katukov, and K. Still, “Innovation Ecosystems vs. Innovation Systems in Terms of Collaboration and Co-creation of Value,” Proc. of the 50th Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences (HICSS 2017), pp. 5245-5254, 2017.
-  World Economic Forum, “The Global Competitiveness Report 2015–2016,” 2015.
-  X. Parisot, “Critical perspective on the business ecosystem ecological metaphor,” S. B. Letaifa, A. Gratacapand, and T. Isckia (Eds.), “Understanding Business Ecosystems,” De Boeck Supérieur, pp. 21-43, 2013.
-  D.-S. Oh, F. Phillips, S. Park, and E. Lee, “Innovation Ecosystems: A Critical Examination,” Technovation, 2016.
-  C. R. Allen, D. G. Angeler, A. S. Garmestani, L. H. Gunderson, and C. S. Holling, “Panarchy: Theory and Application,” Ecosystems, Vol.17, pp. 578-589, 2014.
-  S. Strzelczak, “Implementing Ontologies in Manufacturing, and Logistics – From Theoretical Fundamentals to Prospects,” S. Strzelczak, P. Balda, and M. Garetti, “Open Knowledge Driven Manufacturing and Logistics – the eScop Approach,” WUT Publishing House, pp. 111-213, 2015.
-  J. H. Dyer and H. Singh, “The relational view: cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage,” Academy of Management Review, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 660-679, 1998.
-  D. J. Teece, G. Pisano, and A. Shuen, “Dynamic capabilities and strategic management,” Strategic Management J., Vol.18, No.7, pp. 509-533, 1997.
-  O. E. Williamson, “Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractual Relations,” J. of Law and Economics, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 233-261, 1979.
-  G. Kœ nig, “Le concept d’écosystème d’affaires revisité,” M@n@gement, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 208-224, 2012 (in French).
-  S. Strzelczak, “Performance-driven Evolutionary Capabilities in Virtual Production Ecosystems,” Silesian University of Technology Scientific Papers, Series: Organization and Management, No.118, pp. 555-566, 2018.
-  T. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot, O. Benedettini, and J. M. Kay, “The servitization of manufacturing: A review of literature and reflection on future challenges,” J. of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 547-567, 2009.
-  T. S. Baines, H. Lightfoot, S. Evans et al., “State-of-the-art in product-service systems,” Proc. IMechE, Vol.221, Part B: J. of Engineering Manufacture, pp. 1543-1552, 2007.
-  R. Wiebke, V. Parida, and D. Ortqvist, “Product-Service Systems (PSS) business models and tactics – a systematic literature review,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.97, pp. 61-75, 2015.
-  C. M. Barbu, D. L. Florea, R. F. Ogarcă, and M. C. R. Barbu, “From Ownership to Access: How the Sharing Economy is Changing the Consumer Behavior,” Amfiteatru Economic, Vol.20, No.48, pp. 373-387, 2018.
-  M. Zheng, X. Ming, L. Wang, D. Yin, and X. Zhang, “Status Review and Future Perspectives on the Framework of Smart Product Service Ecosystem,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.64, pp. 181-186, 2017.
-  Y. Harada, T. Kaihara, D. Kokuryo, and N. Fujii, “A proposal of resource allocation method among companies under Crowdsourced Manufacturing,” Proc. of Manufacturing Systems Division Conf., 609, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  The RIQ News Desk, “Philips and Samsung Join Hands for Connected Healthcare Ecosystem.” https://www.readitquik.com/news/iot-2/philips-and-samsung-join-hands-for-connected-healthcare-ecosystem/ [Accessed January 1, 2020]
-  T. Fa, “The Rafter Dialogue,” J. Tiwald and B. W. Van Norden (Eds.), “Readings in Later Chinese Philosophy,” Hackett Publishing, pp. 80-86, 2014.
-  T. Takenaka, T. Kushida, N. Nishino, and K. Kurumatani, “Equilibrium Analysis of Service Ecosystems for Labor-Intensive Services Using Multi-Agent Simulation,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.4, pp. 459-468, 2018.
-  Á. Alonso, A. Pozo et al., “Industrial Data Space Architecture Implementation Using FIWARE,” Sensors, Vol.18, No.7, pp. 2226-2244, 2018.
-  D. Kokuryo, T. Kaihara, S. Kuik, S. Suginouchi, and K. Hirai, “Value Co-Creative Manufacturing with IoT-Based Smart Factory for Mass Customization,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 509-518, 2017.
-  M. R. Ansari, C. Mussida, and F. Pastore, “Note on Lilien and Modified Lilien Index,” Stata J., Vol.14, No.2, pp. 398-406, 2014.
-  J. Lin, “The Heritage Evolution of the Social Credit System Theory and Innovation,” Credit Reference, Vol.162, No.1, pp. 1-12, 2012 (in Chinese).
-  J. F. Kingman, “The single server queue in heavy traffic,” Mathematical Proc. of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Vol.57, No.4, pp. 902-904, 1961.
-  J. D. C. Little, “Little’s Law as Viewed on Its 50th Anniversary,” Operations Research, Vol.59, No.3, pp. 536-549, 2011.
-  E. Koutsoupias and C. Papadimitriou, “Worst-case Equilibria,” Computer Science Review, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 65-69, 2009.
-  S. Strzelczak, “Idiosyncratic behavior of globally distributed manufacturing,” C. Emmanouilidis, M. Taisch, and D. Kiritsis (Eds.), “Advances in Production Management Systems. Competitive Manufacturing for Innovative Products and Services,” APMS 2012. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, Vol.398, pp. 487-494, Springer, 2012.
-  A. Villalonga, G. Beruvides, F. Castaño, and R. Haber, “Cloud-Based Industrial Cyber-Physical System for Data-Driven Reasoning: A Review and Use Case on an Industry 4.0 Pilot Line,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics, Vol.16, No.9, pp. 5975-5984, 2020.