Ontological Descriptions for Integrating Design Information of Product-Service Systems
Koji Kimita*,, Keiichi Muramatsu**, and Yutaro Nemoto***
*The University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
**Saitama University, Saitama, Japan
***Tokyo Metropolitan University, Hino, Japan
Product-service systems (PSS), which create value by integrating physical products and services, have received much attention as a promising option to increase manufacturers’ revenue and reduce environmental impact. The process of designing a PSS requires collaboration among various experts who use domain-specific knowledge. Therefore, several researches have been investigated for developing design tools tailored to their expertise. However, while the specialization of design tools can be useful for experts, it hinders companies from ensuring the integrity of design information in different design elements. This results in the failure in achieving expected benefits. To address these issues, this study applies the concept of interoperability to PSS design to integrate design information from different domains. In particular, ontological descriptions is adopted to achieve semantic interoperability in different design elements. The application of the proposed ontology to a lecture on PSS design highlights that the proposed method is effective for integrating information on PSS design elements and those between value creation and capture.
-  A. Neely, “Exploring the financial consequences of the servitization of manufacturing,” Oper. Manag. Res., Vol.1, No.2, pp. 103-118, 2009.
-  A. Eggert, J. Hogreve, W. Ulaga, and E. Muenkhoff, “Revenue and Profit Implications of Industrial Service Strategies,” J. Serv. Res., Vol.17, No.1, pp. 23-39, 2014.
-  K. Webster, “The Circular Economy: A Wealth of Flows,” Ellen MacArthur Foundation Publishing, 2015.
-  A. Tukker, “Eight types of product-service system: eight ways to sustainability? Experiences from SusProNet,” Bus. Strateg. Environ., Vol.13, No.4, pp. 246-260, 2004.
-  A. Tukker, “Product services for a resource-efficient and circular economy – A review,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.97, pp. 76-91, 2015.
-  R. Wise and P. Baumgartner, “Go downstream: the new profit imperative in manufacturing,” Harv. Bus. Rev., Vol.77, No.5, pp. 133-141, 1999.
-  H. Gebauer, E. Fleisch, and T. Friedli, “Overcoming the service paradox in manufacturing companies,” Eur. Manag. J., Vol.23, No.1, pp. 14-26, 2005.
-  E. Fang, R. W. Palmatier, and J. B. E. J. Steenkamp, “Effect of service transition strategies on firm value,” J. Mark., Vol.72, No.5, pp. 1-14, 2008.
-  T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot, and J. M. Kay, “Servitized manufacture: practical challenges of delivering integrated products and services,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B – J. Eng. Manuf., Vol.223, No.9, pp. 1207-1215, 2009.
-  W. Ulaga and W. J. Reinartz, “Hybrid Offerings: How Manufacturing Firms Combine Goods and Services Successfully,” J. Mark., Vol.75, No.6, pp. 5-23, 2011.
-  H. Gebauer, B. Edvardsson, A. Gustafsson, and L. Witell, “Match or mismatch: Strategy-structure configurations in the service business of manufacturing companies,” J. Serv. Res., Vol.13, No.2, pp. 198-215, 2010.
-  R. Oliva, H. Gebauer, and J. M. Brann, “Separate or Integrate? Assessing the Impact of Separation Between Product and Service Business on Service Performance in Product Manufacturing Firms,” J. Business-to-Bus. Mark., Vol.19, No.4, pp. 309-334, 2012.
-  V. Parida, D. Ronnberg-Sjodin, J. Wincent, and M. Kohtamaki, “Mastering the Transition to Product-Service Provision Insights into Business Models, Learning Activities, and Capabilities,” Res. Manag., Vol.57, No.3, pp. 44-52, 2014.
-  D. Kindström, “Towards a service-based business model – Key aspects for future competitive advantage,” Eur. Manag. J., Vol.28, No.6, pp. 479-490, 2010.
-  A. Copper, “The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High-Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity,” Sams Publishing, 1999.
-  G. Pezzotta, F. Pirola, A. Rondini, R. Pinto, and M. Z. Ouertani, “Towards a methodology to engineer industrial product-service system-Evidence from power and automation industry,” CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., Vol.15, pp. 19-32, 2016.
-  A. Osterwalder and Y. Pigneur, “Business model generation: a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers,” John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
-  M. Kwon, J. Lee, and Y. S. Hong, “Product-service system business modelling methodology using morphological analysis,” Sustainability, Vol.11, No.5, 1376, 2019.
-  N. Maussang, P. Zwolinski, and D. Brissaud, “Product-service system design methodology: from the PSS architecture design to the products specifications,” J. Eng. Des., Vol.20, No.4, pp. 349-366, 2009.
-  T. Hara, T. Arai, Y. Shimomura, and T. Sakao, “Service CAD system to integrate product and human activity for total value,” CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., Vol.1, No.4, pp. 262-271, 2009.
-  G. Pezzotta et al., “The Product Service System Lean Design Methodology (PSSLDM): Integrating Product and Service Components Along the Whole PSS Lifecycle,” J. Manuf. Technol. Manag., Vol.29, No.8, pp. 1270-1295, 2018.
-  G. L. Shostack, “How to design a service,” Eur. J. Mark., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 49-63, 1993.
-  L. Trevisan and D. Brissaud, “Engineering models to support product-service system integrated design,” CIRP J. Manuf. Sci. Technol., Vol.15, pp. 3-18, 2016.
-  N. Morelli, “Developing new product service systems (PSS): methodologies and operational tools,” J. Clean. Prod., Vol.14, No.17, pp. 1495-1501, 2006.
-  M. Lindahl, T. Sakao, and E. Carlsson, “Actor’s and System Maps for Integrated Product Service Offerings: Practical Experience from Two Companies,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.16, pp. 320-325, 2014.
-  H. Panetto, “Towards a classification framework for interoperability of enterprise applications,” Int. J. Comput. Integr. Manuf., Vol.20, No.8, pp. 727-740, 2007.
-  ISO 10303-11, “Industrial automation systems and integration – Product data representation and exchange – Part 11: The EXPRESS language reference,” 1994.
-  ISO 10303, “Industrial automation systems and integration – Product data representation and exchange,” 1994.
-  G. Booch, “The unified modeling language user guide,” Pearson Education India, 2005.
-  ISO 14258, “Industrial Automation Systems – Concepts and Rules for Enterprise Models,” 1998.
-  M. Yoshioka, Y. Umeda, H. Takeda, Y. Shimomura, Y. Nomaguchi, and T. Tomiyama, “Physical concept ontology for the knowledge intensive engineering framework,” Adv. Eng. Informatics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 95-113, 2004.
-  F. L. Krause and U. Kaufmann, “Meta-modelling for interoperability in product design,” CIRP Ann. – Manuf. Technol., Vol.56, No.1, pp. 159-162, 2007.
-  Z. Li, D. C. Anderson, and K. Ramani, “Ontology-based design knowledge modeling for product retrieval,” Proc. of 15th Int. Conf. Eng. Des. (ICED 05), pp. 634-636, 2005.
-  R. Barbau et al., “OntoSTEP: Enriching product model data using ontologies,” CAD Comput. Aided Des., Vol.44, No.6, pp. 575-590, 2012.
-  R. Mizoguchi, J. Vanwelkenhuysen, and M. Ikeda, “Task ontology for reuse of problem solving knowledge,” Towar. Very Large Knowl. Bases Knowl. Build. Knowl. Shar., Vol.46, No.59, 45, 1995.
-  N. P. Suh, “Axiomatic Design of Mechanical Systems,” J. Mech. Des., Vol.117, Issue B, pp. 2-10, 1995.
-  D. Kindstrom and C. Kowalkowski, “Service innovation in product-centric firms: a multidimensional business model perspective,” J. Bus. Ind. Mark., Vol.29, No.2, pp. 96-111, 2014.
-  T. Sakao, Y. Shimomura, E. Sundin, and M. Comstock, “Modeling design objects in CAD system for Service/Product Engineering,” Comput. Des., Vol.41, No.3, pp. 197-213, 2009.
-  T. Hara, T. Arai, Y. Shimomura, and T. Sakao, “Service CAD system to integrate product and human activity for total value,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 262-271, 2009.
-  A. R. Tan, T. C. McAloone, and M. M. Andreasen, “What happens to integrated product development models with product/service-system approaches?,” Proc. of the 6th Workshop on Integrated Product Development (IPD 2006), 2006.
-  V. Avlonitis et al., “PSS Readiness Manual: A Workbook in the PROTEUS Series,” Technical University of Denmark, 2013.
-  L. Smith, R. Maull, and I. C. L. Ng, “Servitization and operations management: a service dominant-logic approach,” Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag., Vol.34, No.2, pp. 242-269, 2014.
-  T. Huikkola, M. Kohtamaki, and R. Rabetino, “Resource Realignment in Servitization,” Res. Manag., Vol.59, No.4, pp. 30-39, 2016.
-  T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot, and P. Smart, “Servitization within manufacturing operations: an exploration of the impact on facilities practices,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B – J. Eng. Manuf., Vol.226, No.B2, pp. 377-380, 2012.
-  S. Lenka, V. Parida, and J. Wincent, “Digitalization Capabilities as Enablers of Value Co-Creation in Servitizing Firms,” Psychol. Mark., Vol.34, No.1, pp. 92-100, 2017.
-  T. Sakao, M. Lindahl, and A. Öhrwall-Rönnbäck, “Environmentally-Conscious Design Methods for Manufacturing Firms with Servicification,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 26-32, 2009.
-  T. Baines and H. W. Lightfoot, “Servitization of the manufacturing firm Exploring the operations practices and technologies that deliver advanced services,” Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag., Vol.34, No.1, pp. 2-35, 2014.
-  T. Baines et al., “Towards an operations strategy for product-centric servitization,” Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag., Vol.29, No.5, pp. 494-519, 2009.
-  S. Wiesner, E. Marilungo, and K. D. Thoben, “Cyber-physical product-service systems – challenges for requirements engineering,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 17-28, 2017.
-  A. Alghisi and N. Saccani, “Internal and external alignment in the servitization journey – overcoming the challenges,” Prod. Plan. Control, Vol.26, Nos.14-15, pp. 1219-1232, 2015.
-  D. R. Sjödin et al., “Value co-creation process of integrated product-services: Effect of role ambiguities and relational coping strategies,” Ind. Mark. Manag., Vol.56, pp. 108-119, 2016.
-  M. Rapaccini, “Pricing strategies of service offerings in manufacturing companies: a literature review and empirical investigation,” Prod. Plan. Control, Vol.26, Nos.14-15, pp. 1247-1263, 2015.
-  G. Kucza and H. Gebauer, “Global approaches to the service business in manufacturing companies,” J. Bus. Ind. Mark., Vol.26, No.7, pp. 472-483, 2011.
-  http://www.hozo.jp/ [Accessed February 1, 2020]
-  K. Kozaki, Y. Kitamura, M. Ikeda, and R. Mizoguchi, “Development of an Environment for Building Ontologies which is based on a Fundamental Consideration of “Relationship” and “Role”,” The 6th Pacific Knowledge Acquisition Workshop (PKAW2000), pp. 205-221, 2000.
-  K. Higa and Y. Yamazaki, “Communication Support and Knowledge Repository in a Distributed Environment: a Proposal and an Evaluation of Group Memory Support System,” Proc. of the 14th Annual Research Congress, The Japan Telework Society, pp. 36-40, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.