Study on the Creation of Fine Periodic Structure on V-Shaped Groove with Short-Pulsed Laser
Ryohei Takase*1, Shuhei Kodama*2, Keita Shimada*1, Holger Mescheder*3, Kai Winands*3, Jan Riepe*3, Kristian Arntz*3, Masayoshi Mizutani*1,, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa*4
*1Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University
6-6-01 Aramaki Aza-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Tokyo, Japan
*3Department of Non-conventional Manufacturing Processes and Technology Integration,
Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology IPT, Aachen, Germany
*4Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Functional surface creation technologies have garnered increasing attention over the years. These technologies can provide various functions to a material by establishing a fine structure on the material surface and responding to the needs of industrial products with distinguished functions or high values. In addition, by creating a “composite fine structure,” which is composed of two kinds of structures with different scales, the enhancement of functions and emergence of new functionalities can be expected. Hence, our study combined a micrometer-scale V-shaped groove structure using an ultra-precision cutting and nanometer-scale ultra-fine periodic structure (LIPSS) using a short-pulsed laser. Then, we clarified the creation principle and studied the functionality of the structure, specifically, its wettability. As a result, it was found that optical behavior inside the V-shaped groove changed; therefore, the composite structure changed depending on the groove angle, laser polarization direction, and number of times of irradiation. In addition, it was found that the water wettability changed depending on the type of formed micro-nano composite structures. Moreover, the wettability could be controlled by depending on how the structure is used.
-  A. A. G. Bruzzone, H. L. Costa, P. M. Lonardo, and D. A. Lucca, “Advances in engineered surface for functional performance,” CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 750-769, 2008.
-  M. Mizutani, S. Xu, K. Shimada, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Micro-/Nano-texturing by Ultrasonic-Assisted Grinding,” J. Yan (Ed.), “Micro and Nano Fabrication Technology,” Springer, pp. 1-55, 2018.
-  S. Kodama, S. Suzuki, K. Hayashibe, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Control of short-pulsed laser induced periodic surface structure with machining – Picosecond laser micro/nanotexturing with ultraprecision cutting –,” Precision Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 433-438, 2019.
-  S. Kodama, H. Yamaguchi, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Control of short-pulsed laser induced periodic surface structures with machining – picosecond laser nanotexturing with magnetic abrasive finishing –,” Precision Engineering, Vol.60, pp. 428-436, 2019.
-  U. Hermens, M. Pothen, K. Winands, K. Arntz, and F. Klocke, “Automated polarization control for the precise alignment of laser-induced self-organized nanostructures,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.101, pp. 44-50, 2018.
-  Y. Tanaka, “Fabrication of Anti-reflective Structures using Glass Molding,” New Glass, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 32-38, 2008.
-  S. Bolotov, R. Kobayashi, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Fabrication of Precision Micrograting on Resin Substrate Utilizing Ultrasonic-Assisted Molding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 43-50, 2015.
-  S. Shamsudin, M. K. Ahmad, A. N. Aziz, R. Fuhriah, F. Mohamad, N. Ahmad, N. Nafarizal, C. F. Soon, A. S. Ameruddin, A. B. Faridah, M. Shimomura, and K. Murakami, “Hydrophobic Rutile Phase TiO2 Nanostructure and Its Properties for Self-Cleaning Application,” AIP Conf. Proc., Vol.1883, No.2, pp. 1-9, 2017.
-  K. Asakura and J. Yan, “Water Repellency Control of Oxgen-Free Copper Surface by Diamond-Cut Micro Grooves,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.4, pp. 396-402, 2015.
-  S. Imabayashi, “Effect of surface roughness on wettability of solid surfaces,” Review of Polarography, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 115-121, 2008.
-  S. Xu, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Analysis of Machinable Structures and Their Wettability of Rotary Ultrasonic Texturing Method,” Chinese J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.29, No.6, pp. 1187-1192, 2016.
-  K. Shimada, T. Hirai, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Unidirectional Wetting Surface Fabrication by Ultrasonic-Assisted Cutting,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.2, pp. 191-198, 2019.
-  S. Kirner, U. Hermens, A. Mimidis, E. Skoulas, C. Florian, F. Hischen, C. Plamadeala, W. Baumgartner, K. Winands, H. Mescheder, J. Krüger, J. Solis, J. Siegel, E. Stratakis, and J. Bonse, “Mimicking bug-like surface structures and their fluid transport produced by ultrashort pulse irradiation of steel,” Applied Physics A, Vol.123, No.12, pp. 1-13, 2017.
-  S. Ma, Y. Liu, Z. Wang, Z. Wang, R. Huang, and J. Xu, “The Effect of Honing Angle and Roughness Height on The Tribological Performance of CuNiCr Iron Liner,” Metals, Vol.9, No.5, p. 487, 2019.
-  N. Sumi, C. Kato, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Influence of Workpiece Materials on the Characteristics of the Layers by Electrical Discharge Coating,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 773-779, 2016.
-  J. Lu, M. P. Rao, N. C. MacDonald, C. Khang, and T. J. Webster, “Improved endothelial cell adhesion and proliferation on patterned titanium surface with rationally designed, micrometer to nanometer features,” Acta Biomaterialia, Vol.4, pp. 192-201, 2008.
-  M. Mizutani, R. Honda, Y. Kurashima, J. Komotori, and H. Ohmori, “Improved Cytocompatibility of Nanosecond-Pulsed Laser-Treated Commercially Pure Ti Surface,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.1, pp. 102-109, 2014.
-  Y. Fukayo, T. Amemiya, K. Nakaoka, M. Mizutani, J. Komotori, Y. Hamada, and T. Hayakawa, “Bone and Gingival Connective Tissue Responses Nanosecond-Pulsed Laser-Treated Titanium Implants,” J. of Hard Tissue Biology, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 181-194, 2016.
-  Y. Kurashina, A. Ezura, R. Murakami, M. Mizutani, and J. Komotori, “Effect of Hydroxy Group and Micro-Topography Generated by a Nanosecond-Pulsed Laser on Pure Ti Surfaces,” J. of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, Vol.30, No.5, 57, 2019.
-  M. Hirota, T. Harai, S. Ishibashi, M. Mizutani, and T. Hayakawa, “Cortical bone response toward nanosecond-pulsed laser-treated zirconia implant surfaces,” Dental Materials J., Vol.38, No.3, pp. 444-451, 2019.
-  Y. F. Fu, C. Q. Yuan, and X. Q. Bai, “Marine drag reduction of shark skin inspired riblet surface,” Biosurface and Biotribology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 11-24, 2017.
-  Y. Sun, S. Xu, T. Kyoizumi, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “CFD Analysis of Friction-Reduction Effect of Micro-Textured Surfaces in Lubricant,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.2, pp. 206-214, 2018.
-  Y. Sun, K. Shimada, S. Xu, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Friction Reduction by Micro-Textured Surfaces in Lubrication,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.4, pp. 603-610, 2018.
-  S. Kodama, S. Suzuki, A. Shibata, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Effect of Crystal Structure on Fabrication of Fine Periodic Surface Structure with Short Pulsed Laser,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.12, No.6, pp. 868-875, 2018.
-  T. Tomita, “Laser Ablation: From the Viewpoint of Solid State Physics,” J. Plasma Fusion Res., Vol.89, No.7, pp. 493-499, 2013.
-  M. Tsukamoto and M. Hashida, “Material Processing of Metal with Femtosecond Laser,” J. of Japan Welding Society, Vol.72, No.8, pp. 22-25, 2003.
-  F. Coatache, M. Henyk, and J. Reif, “Surface patterning on insulators upon femtosecond laser ablation,” Applied Surface Science, Vols.208-209, No.15, pp. 486-491, 2003.
-  H. Sawada, K. Kawahara, T. Ninomiya, K. Kurosawa, and A. Yokotani, “Precise Periodic Structuring with Femtosecond-laser,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.4, pp. 554-558, 2003.
-  M. Hashida, “Nanostructure fabrication by femtosecond processing,” Laser Cross, No.181, pp. 1-3, 2003.
-  J. Amako and D. Sawaki, “Deep-UV laser-based Manufacturing Process for Sub-wavelength structures – Interference Exposure for Resist Patterning –,” J. of Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.8, pp. 789-794, 2008.
-  K. S. Yee, “Numerical Solution of Initial Boundary Value Problems Involving Maxwell’s Equations in Isotropic Media,” IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 302-307, 1996.
-  O. Hashimoto, “Finite Difference Time Domain Method,” Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd., 2006 (in Japanese).
-  R. Blossey, “Self-cleaning surface – virtual realities,” Nature Materials, Vol.2, pp. 301-306, 2003.
-  J. B. Lee, H. R. Gwon, S. H. Lee, and M. Cho, “Wetting Transition Characteristics on Microstructured Hydrophobic Surface,” Materials Trans., Vol.51, No.9, pp. 1709-1711, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.