Influence of Grooved Plate Cross-Sectional Shape on Bending Phenomena in Laser-Quenching Forming Process
Yuki Manabe, Hiromichi Nishida, Toshiki Hirogaki, and Eiichi Aoyama
1-3 Tataramiyakodani, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
This research proposes a method to achieve laser quenching and laser forming simultaneously. This technique uses a diode laser to produce thin steel sheet-assuming parts, such as springs and hinges. Energy and time are saved by combining the advantages of laser quenching, which has high input heat efficiency, and laser forming, which, unlike press molding, does not require metal molds. In this study, laser-quenching molding was performed for an entire thin steel plate, and the influence on warping was investigated. Furthermore, the proposed method was evaluated under repeated quenchings for different cross-sections of a workpiece. The results indicated that the technique prevented bending deformation during the next laser scan and reduced warping by increasing the second moment of area of the entire workpiece.
-  Y. Okazaki, T. Mori, and N. Morita, “Desktop NC milling machine with 200 krpm spindle,” Proc. of 2001 ASPE Annual Meeting, pp. 192-195, 2001.
-  M. Sakagami, “Latest Trends in Foreign Injection Molding Machines and Technologies (Part 1) Accelerating Eco-Molding, Pursuing Efficiency, and Improving Productivity Through Process Integration,” Plastics Age, Vol.61, No.10, pp. 90-95, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  A. K. Dubey and V. Yadava, “Laser beam machining: a review,” Int. J. of Machine Tool and Manufacture, Vol.48, No.6, pp. 609-628, 2008.
-  D. Gu, W. Meiners, K. Wissenbach, and R. Poprawe, “Laser additive manufacturing of metallic components: materials, processes and mechanisms,” Int. Materials Reviews, Vol.57, No.3, pp. 133-164, 2012.
-  N. C. Peterson, M. J. Kurylo, A. M. Bass, and R. A. Keller, “Enhancement of Absorption Spectra by Dye-Laser Quenching,” J. of the Optical Society of America, Vol.61, No.6, pp. 746-750, 1971.
-  J. S. Selvan, K. Subramanian, and A. K. Nath, “Effect of laser surface hardening on En18 (AISI 5135) steel,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.91, Issues 1-3, pp. 29-36, 1999.
-  E. C. Santos, M. Shiomi, K. Osakada, and T. Laoui, “Rapid manufacturing of metal components by laser forming,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.46, Issues 12-13, pp. 1459-1468, 2006.
-  M. Merklein, T. Hennige, and M. Geiger, “Laser forming of aluminium and aluminium alloys – microstructural investigation,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.115, No.1, pp. 159-165, 2001.
-  Y. Manabe, R. Oda, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and K. Ogawa, “Whole Quenching of Small Thin Plate with Low-Power Semiconductor Laser Based on Feed-Speed Combination Problem,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.6, pp. 923-933, 2016.
-  Y. Manabe, H. Nishida, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and K. Ogawa, “Investigation of deformation in laser quenching forming for thin steel plate based on process monitoring,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.62, No.11, pp. 571-577, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Manabe, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, and K. Ogawa, “Laser quenching forming method for thin steel plate under preheating conditions,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.62, No.1, pp. 26-32, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  F. Lucas, “Structure and nature of troostite,” The Bell System Technical J., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 101-120, 1930.
-  N. Shiramine, T. Noguchi, and M. Nishikawa, “Strength Properties of Ferrite-Martensite and Ferrite-Solvite Duplex Steels,” Japan Heat Treatment Technology Association, Vol.28, No.3, pp. 133-139, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  V. P. Akhant’ev and V. I. Ivlev, “The nature of troostite in surface layers of steels after carburizing,” Metal Science and Heat Treatment, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 180-181, 1975.
-  S. P. Edwardson, E. Abed, K. Bartkowiak, G. Dearden, and K. G. Watkins, “Geometrical influences on multi-pass laser forming,” J. of Physics D, Applied Physics, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 382-389, 2006.
-  O. Manca, B. Morrone, and V. Naso, “Quasi-steady-state three dimensional temperature distribution induced by a moving circular Gaussian heat source in a finite depth solid,” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, Issue 7, pp. 1305-1315, 1995.
-  M. Nunobiki, J. Hayashi, H. Shizuka, and K. Okuda, “Deformation analysis of Ti sheet in laser forming along the edge of the sheet, the 2nd report: Estimation of area where the edge of sheet influences the bending angle,” Proc. of JSPE Semestrial Meeting, pp. 583-584, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ueda, K. Yamada, S. Oikawa, and A. Hosokawa, “Basic Study of Laser Forming,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.67, No.2, pp. 300-305, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  F. Vollertson, “Mechanisms and Models for Laser Forming,” Proc. of Laser Assisted Net Shape Engineering Conf., 345, 1994.
-  H. Shen and F. Vollertsen, “Modelling of laser forming – An review,” Computational Materials Science, Vol.46, No.4, pp. 834-840, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.