Development of Scanning Line Tool Path Generation Algorithm Using Boundary Position Information of Approximate Polyhedron of Complex Molds
Yuki Saito, Jun’ichi Kaneko, Takeyuki Abe, and Kenichiro Horio
255 Shimo-okubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama City, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
In the manufacturing industry, molds are required for mass production operations, and the industry’s recent small lot, multi-product production systems call for such molds to be made by NC machine tools in short periods of time. The tool path point coordinates of NC machine tools are derived by geometric computations, which are used in turn to derive the polyhedron-approximated mold surface and the contact positions of the tool. In the conventional method, however, placing surplus tool path points on the planar section makes it difficult to acquire the boundary position coordinate values in the vicinity of the boundaries of the polyhedrons that constitute the curved surface, resulting in errors in the path point coordinates for the polyhedron-approximated shape of the mold surface. In this study, therefore, we have developed CAM algorithms that can reduce the tool path errors and suppress the number of tool path points by not deriving the path point coordinates in the linearly approximated section. This is done by using the boundary information of the approximate polyhedrons that constitute the concave section of the mold model.
-  W. P. Wang and K. K. Wang, “Geometric Modeling for Swept Volume of Moving Solid,” IEEE CG&A, Vol.6, No,12, pp. 8-17, 1986.
-  T. Kondo, T. Kishinami, and K. Saito, “Machining System based on Inverse Offset Method,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.54, No.5, pp. 971-976, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  B. K. Choi, D. H. Kim, and R. B. Jerard, “C-Space approach to tool-path generation for die and mould machining,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.29, No.9, pp. 657-669, 1997.
-  M. Fujio, H. Yagishita, and H. Suzuki, “Development of CAD/CAM System Based on Boundary-Map Data Structure,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.7, pp. 1048-1052, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kaneko and K. Horio, “Accurate Estimation Method of Intersection Coordinate between View Lines and Curved Surface Using Graphics Hardware – Error correction by referring from intersection coordinate between approximated polyhedrons and view lines –,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.74, No.5, pp. 480-485, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kitahara, J. Kaneko, M. Ajisaka, T. Abe, and K. Horio, “Accurate Tool Path Generation Method for Large-Scale Discrete Shapes,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.2, pp. 279-288, 2019.
-  T. Kanai, “Geometric Processing Using Graphics Hardware,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.3, pp. 482-485, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kaneko, Y. Yamauchi, and K. Horio, “Fast Estimation Method of Machinable Area of Workpiece Surface for 3+2-Axis Control Machining Using Graphics Device – Visualization Algorithm of Machinable Area and Minimum Shank Length with Texture Projection Technique –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 420-427, 2014.
-  J. Kaneko and K. Horio, “Tool Posture Planning Method for Continuous 5-Axis Control Machining on Machine Tool Coordinate System to optimize Motion of Translational Axes,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.5, pp. 729-737, 2011.
-  K. Ichikawa, J. Kaneko, M. Hasegawa, T. Iwasaki, and K. Horio, “Method of Planning Tool Postures for Deep Groove Machining of Complex Shapes – Development of an Automatic Planning Method that Considers the motions of the Rotational Axis when the Tool Reverses Direction in Grooved Shapes –,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 226-234, 2017.
-  J. Kaneko and K. Horio, “Tool Posture Planning Method for Continuous Multi Axis Control Machining with Consideration of Shortening Shank Length of End Mill,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.5, pp. 648-653, 2012.
-  K. Komiya, J. Kaneko, T. Yokoyama, T. Asano, C. Higashino, and K. Horio, “Development of High-Speed Processing Method to Evaluate Elastic Deformations of Workpieces,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.11, No.6, pp. 971-977, 2017.
-  E. Heo, D. Kim, B. Kim, and F. Chen, “Estimation of NC machining time using NC block distribution for sculptured surface machining,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.22, Nos.5-6, pp. 437-446, 2006.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Toolpath Generation Method Based on Control Characteristics of Machine Tool for High-Speed and High-Accuracy Machining,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 697-703, 2012.
-  K. Saito, H. Aoyama, and N. Sano, “Accurate Estimation of Cutting Time Based on Control Principle of Machine Tool,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.10, No.3, pp. 429-437, 2016.
-  I. Lazoglu, C. Manav, and Y. Murtezaoglu, “Toolpath optimization for freeform surface machining,” CIRP Annals, Vol.58, pp. 101-104, 2009.